Fresh Ukulele

captrob

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum. I work at Grampa's Uke Joint here in Flagler Beach Florida. Today I acquired an 8 string Kamalani. Inside is stamped "FRESH UKULELES KIMO of KAILUA". It was purchased a few years ago in Hawaii. Is this company still in business? Any info about the manufacturer? It is a beautiful instrument with an awesome sound. Thanks for any help

Aloha Captrob,
Welcome to the UU and our humble forums...Congrats on your new purchased Kamalani...
As for your Kamalani, I have never heard of them here in Kailua, Oahu...He may be on the
big Island Kailua- Kona...or a custom small builder....not too sure. Does the label in the
soundhole give any more clues???? Have fun and "Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan..

Kimo is such a generic Hawaiian name (Hawaiianized "Jim") that even malihinis call themselves Kimo so hard to keep track. Both Kimo Hussey, and Kimo Jones make 'ukuleles but neither are from Kailua. I'm guessing it's some other Kimo. Kailua is my hometown but I never heard of this Kimo so must have been small scale limited in his production capability I'm guessing though I was away in Maui for 12 years. Main thing it sounds and looks good. Have fun with it!

http://kimosukes.weebly.com/updates--blog.html

Fresh ukuleles

I'm new to this forum. I work at Grampa's Uke Joint here in Flagler Beach Florida. Today I acquired an 8 string Kamalani. Inside is stamped "FRESH UKULELES KIMO of KAILUA". It was purchased a few years ago in Hawaii. Is this company still in business? Any info about the manufacturer? It is a beautiful instrument with an awesome sound. Thanks for any help

I know where your ukulele came from. I used to drive past his shop all the time when lived in Kailua, on the island of Oahu (not to be confused with Kailua Kona on the Big Island). Driving north from Kailua towards Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay, I think it was on North Kalaheo Drive, there was a small hand painted sign out in front of a house: "FRESH UKULELE." I used to shout that out every time I passed it. It's fun to yell, "FRESH UKULELE!"

I moved away from Hawaii in November 2005. Haven't been back to that neighborhood since. Not sure if Kimo's still making fresh ukuleles.

One more semi-random aside. I found your question here, because I did a Google search for "FRESH UKULELE." One of my friends just posted a picture of himself on Facebook with a uke, and I wanted to comment on the picture. Then I thought, nobody will no what I'm talking about. Does anyone else say, "Fresh ukulele?" Apparently I'm not the only one. Have fun!

I just did a random Google search for "fresh ukulele" because one of my friends

Top Bottom