PDA

View Full Version : Win a Toy Story Toy Ukulele! / You've Got a Friend in Me

Penguinofsorts
09-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Hello everybody,

Here's a contest for you! You have the wonderful opportunity to win for yourself your very own Toy Story Toy Ukulele!
Please see the youtube contest video explanation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq-tzoodMg4)

Ukulele Underground Forum Toy Story Toy Ukulele Video-song contest.
1. You have 1 minute to play at least one verse of 'You've Got a Friend in Me' by Randy Newman

2. The ukulele must be the main focus of the video

3. Chords provided at http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs/070128.html - use these! You must sing the verses (at least one)...off tune is allowed!

4. Friendship, warmth and even acts of kindness will be key considerations in the judging process. You can use props, people, toys, whatever.

5. Ukuleles and contest provided by Penguinofsorts and Suzukhammer of the www.ukuleleunderground.com forums. Judging is to be determined - but there will be at least 2...judging will be on a points/rating basis 1-100 and averaged.

6. First place gets their pick of either a wooden (laminate) toy story - Authentic Woody's Round Up Guitar (which is really an ukulele) or a plastic toy story Woody's Round Up Guitar (which is also really a ukulele). Second place gets the one that's left!

7. Both of these instruments are marketed as toys and their playability cannot be guaranteed.

8. Mention something like: This video is a submission to the Toy Story Toy Ukulele Contest from ukulele underground (make it a new one - not one you've already done!)

9. Post the video as a reply to the youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq-tzoodMg4and then post the link HERE

DEADLINE IS OCTOBER 31st at midnight CST

Good luck and have fun!!!

Lori
09-26-2010, 08:27 PM
I love that song. Fits the ukulele perfectly.

–Lori

bobj
09-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Thank you Penguinofsorts and Suzukhammer. I think this is so fun.

I've been playing uke for just one week, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm gonna try and do it with my 3 y.o. daughter. (Yes! I'm going for the judge's soft spot. I don't have any talent of my own to offer.)
So we are gonna need the whole 30 days to practice. I hope I can get up the nerve to record something.

Gambaremasu!

bobj
in Japan

SuzukHammer
09-27-2010, 03:58 AM
Thank you Penguinofsorts and Suzukhammer. I think this is so fun.

I've been playing uke for just one week, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm gonna try and do it with my 3 y.o. daughter. (Yes! I'm going for the judge's soft spot. I don't have any talent of my own to offer.)
So we are gonna need the whole 30 days to practice. I hope I can get up the nerve to record something.

Gambaremasu!

bobj
in Japan

Bob, I put in a video for a contest after one month and it was not easy; but, the whole thing is to have fun.

I tried these chords and me at almost 3 months couldn't put the song together for about 5 minutes so I had to look at the song on youtube to remind me of how it sounds, then I was able to suss it out and the chords work.

Remember this. If you just want to sing that one line "You got a friend in me" then that is good. If you and your daughter improvise, so much the better. improvise on lyrics and chords. no problem.

Another thing to remember is chords don't need all the notes sounded. If its hard to reach a note but you can reach the other 3, maybe its good enough. just try.

And some of the chords given have easier alternatives up the neck. iF you know somebody who teaches music, maybe that might be fun to learn together.

joeybug
09-28-2010, 03:25 AM
I'm gonna give this a try because Miss D loves Toy Story and would love the prize (either of them!) and although I'm new to this, I'm getting there with the song, every day Darla asks me "have you learnt it yet?" and I say I'm still practising and she seems to think that if I want something as bad as she does, it'll just happen! Ha! If only it were that simple!

Thanks for putting on this contest! I think if I practise for a few more weeks I'll be able to do it!

cjhoyle
09-29-2010, 07:16 PM
I have a question. I realize that everyone is supposed to use the provided chord-chart for the song, but if we would rather sing in a different key, are we allowed to transpose those chords to a different key?

It sounds like this will be a really interesting contest!

y2julia619
09-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Ok, I've pretty much got the song down. But for me, I can't sing and play at the same time! I just can't. It's like I need to focus on one thing at a time. If I focus on the singing, the playing with be way off; if I focus on the playing, the singing will be even more off... ahhhhhh

But I sooooo love this song. It's one of my favorites! I looked at this contest yesterday and practiced and practiced for about two hours and got all the chords down (Besides the pesky [B7][E6][Fdim][B7][Em][A7] part - I just can't figure out that rhythm for the life of me).

Great contest Penguinofsorts! I can't wait to see everybody's different takes on it.

Penguinofsorts
09-30-2010, 12:49 PM
cjhoyle - Sure, you can transpose if you like!
y2julia619 - I had lots of trouble with that part too! But it's amazing what playing the same part over and over and over will get you...

It looks like everyone is having fun so far! I hope everyone learns a bit from this contest! I know that I learned a LOT when I learned the song...there are a few difficult chord changes and some brand new chords for me!

Good luck, all!

SuzukHammer
09-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Maybe the greatest lesson is establishing the rhythm of this song.

I suggest you call up a resource for face to face help. ANy friend you might know or.... establish a tutor resource.

I know exactly what people are talking about. It boils down to that age old adage - learn to read music if you can. Its language can get you there faster.

joeybug
10-03-2010, 01:06 AM
Okay I have a question about the time limit..does the video have to exactly 1 min total including saying it's for this contest and anything else and the song or is the limit only referring to the actual playing/singing of the song?

Sorry if it seems nitpicking, just want to be sure!

Penguinofsorts
10-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I would say that the minute will only apply to the playing/singing of the song...so don't plan on being judged or timed for the intro (saying who you are and the name of the contest), necessarily. That said, don't make your intro overly long...focus on the song, friendship and your uke! ;-)

SuzukHammer
10-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Okay I have a question about the time limit..does the video have to exactly 1 min total including saying it's for this contest and anything else and the song or is the limit only referring to the actual playing/singing of the song?

Sorry if it seems nitpicking, just want to be sure!

The reason to try an limit the entries to 1 minute was to be able to download all the entries and make a mashup of the song.

It also allows for persons to just sing part of the song because most beginner's won't be able to learn one song the whole way through much less make a video of 2-3 minutes.

So like penguin said, its for fun. short and sweet and fun.

Lori
10-03-2010, 06:16 PM
The reason to try an limit the entries to 1 minute was to be able to download all the entries and make a mashup of the song.

It also allows for persons to just sing part of the song because most beginner's won't be able to learn one song the whole way through much less make a video of 2-3 minutes.

So like penguin said, its for fun. short and sweet and fun.

So, you would like some people to choose the last half of the song? I found I could play the first two verses in 1 minute. The timing of the lyrics is more tricky on the second half of the song.

–Lori

JT_Ukes
10-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Forget I said anything, I was in an Un-friendly mood whan i worte it!

Great contest, Great song for Ukulele !

Have Fun!

JT

joeybug
10-04-2010, 01:12 AM
I would say that the minute will only apply to the playing/singing of the song...so don't plan on being judged or timed for the intro (saying who you are and the name of the contest), necessarily. That said, don't make your intro overly long...focus on the song, friendship and your uke! ;-)

Will do, I can manage about two verses in the one minute slot, but didn't want to lose time for intro and such which will be very quick!

Penguinofsorts
10-04-2010, 03:03 AM
:-) The time limit is just to keep things simple...not to make them difficult! If you are a few seconds over, don't worry about redoing the entire video! I can do about 2 verses in the 1 minute as well! Good luck!!

bobj
10-04-2010, 12:29 PM
I have this song in my quiver already. It's a great song and sounds great on uke.

This sounds like a good idea for a contest but...

I'm just wondering why you would limit the entry to one minute?

The whole song is only about 2 minutes, my video is only 1:50 (recorded a year or so ago...)

JT

Sounds like you are all set. Just post it. Close enough... right? I am looking forward to seeing it. If you want, I will mentally chop off a few frames from the beginning and end.
No worries.

bobj
10-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Oops! Sorry! I hope I didn't overstep. I'm not in charge. I'm just eager to see my fellow uker's contributions.
Sorry penguinofsorts and suzukhammer. You are conducting a wonderful contest.
Carry on :-)

provines
10-06-2010, 05:24 AM
I guess I'll go first. Here it is......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLmRQPrBPcE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLmRQPrBPcE

Penguinofsorts
10-06-2010, 02:54 PM
bobj,

Thanks for asking! The 1 minute time frame was more to make it kind of a quick fun contest (and well suited to beginners who are learning more difficult chord changes).

Provine's video above is a great start to the competition, you can see how the 1 minute restriction actually works for this type of theme!

Thanks for starting us off, Provine!

Keep them coming, I'm excited to see what you come up with!!

fitncrafty
10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Provines... That was awesome!!!! It touched me especially as an 16 yr navy spouse! Thanks for sharing!

SuzukHammer
10-07-2010, 12:51 AM
I have this song in my quiver already. It's a great song and sounds great on uke.

This sounds like a good idea for a contest but...

I'm just wondering why you would limit the entry to one minute?

The whole song is only about 2 minutes, my video is only 1:50 (recorded a year or so ago...)

Do you want folks to rush through it or just stop at a minute?

??

And you really should tell folks in the rules you may be using their entries in another video.

Just sayin'

JT

If we make mistakes, then we'll learn. The only reasons to limit the song was to encourage people to just sing the song. I based it on myself being new to uke and it takes awhile for me to learn a whole new song. I could easily enter contests that only require one or 2 verses but right now, as a beginner, its not easy to memorize a whole song.

The idea to incorporate the mashup. Eleuke did it and I didn't see them advertising they'd do it; but, they did it and nobody complained.

Now, if I limit the songs to 1 minute, I can download lots of songs to put in the roulette wheel of a mashup. If we go over a minute, I was thinking - "nightmare" with space and editing.

So, if you don't want your video in a mashup, just state that you don't want it used in any other form.

Have fun!!! YOu got a friend in me.

SuzukHammer
10-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Yes, nice start by Provines.

SuzukHammer
10-07-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm all for multiple entries.

I'm all for if you song is longer, then don't worry about the rules because we are looking for participation, not limits.

joeybug
10-07-2010, 05:43 AM
That was a great video Provines!

JT_Ukes
10-07-2010, 09:38 AM
If we make mistakes, then we'll learn. The only reasons to limit the song was to encourage people to just sing the song. I based it on myself being new to uke and it takes awhile for me to learn a whole new song. I could easily enter contests that only require one or 2 verses but right now, as a beginner, its not easy to memorize a whole song.

The idea to incorporate the mashup. Eleuke did it and I didn't see them advertising they'd do it; but, they did it and nobody complained.

Now, if I limit the songs to 1 minute, I can download lots of songs to put in the roulette wheel of a mashup. If we go over a minute, I was thinking - "nightmare" with space and editing.

So, if you don't want your video in a mashup, just state that you don't want it used in any other form.

Have fun!!! YOu got a friend in me.

You are right sir, Pay no attention to me, I was in a decidedly unfriendly mood when i enterd those words...

Great contest, I think I'll see if I can fit the whole song in under a minute just for fun!

JT

bobj
10-08-2010, 03:10 AM
great start Provines!

prettiwiki
10-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Hey ,

One question,

Do we have to use them chords or can we use our own that might sound better?

Thank you

SuzukHammer
10-08-2010, 07:34 AM
I think Penguin said if you know it in other chords, go ahead.

Again, we just want the participation.

Do you want to share your option on the chords?

SuzukHammer
10-08-2010, 07:34 AM
You are right sir, Pay no attention to me, I was in a decidedly unfriendly mood when i enterd those words...

Great contest, I think I'll see if I can fit the whole song in under a minute just for fun!

JT

I really liked your submission into the Canadian songwriters contest. It was funny and a good tune.

prettiwiki
10-08-2010, 03:16 PM
I think Penguin said if you know it in other chords, go ahead.

Again, we just want the participation.

Do you want to share your option on the chords?

Cool,

C G C C7
You've got a fri end in me
F C
You've got a friend in me
F C E Am
When the ro ad looks rough ah ead

It sounds cool and easy in my opinion

SuzukHammer
10-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Easy is good.

I liked the first chords because they would make me learn new chords; but you know how when you are out and about and somebody says, "play me something", then easy is the best way to get started.

revdrkate
10-09-2010, 06:17 AM
provines, I always love your videos! Another awesome offering. Thanks.

browian01
10-10-2010, 03:00 AM
:D Love this idea ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMYLN6gZupo

Ian
Two Blokes, Two Ukes

joeybug
10-10-2010, 04:44 AM
:D Love this idea ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMYLN6gZupo

Ian
Two Blokes, Two Ukes

Great Video! I better get recording mine soon :D

rock_and_roll_camera
10-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Love Browian's two ukes and a piano... I was actually gonna enter this until I saw that... How can I compete with that? Great video!...

SuzukHammer
10-11-2010, 02:31 AM
;
Love Browian's two ukes and a piano... I was actually gonna enter this until I saw that... How can I compete with that? Great video!...

Did Brownian actually enter that video or was he just pointing out a video on the web.

I see now why other contests ask for submissions to be replied into a youtube video post because I am confused whether that was an entry or just an example video post.

Penguinofsorts
10-11-2010, 03:50 AM
That was a great video, but it was made months ago. Judged entries will be those that mention the contest name in the video. Also, remember that it's not necessarily the skill, but the spirit of friendship, etc that is displayed in the video :-) This contest is supposed to be fun, so go ahead and make your videos and submit them. If you win, that's awesome. If you don't, well, you did something new, right??

Cokecan72
10-11-2010, 05:28 AM
Ok, thought that i would have a little bash at this.. I was going to do this anyways for my 3 year old son who iv'e just discovered is autistic and loves toy story.. I tried to get all the song in as quick as i could (but not so fast that it sounds daft), which takes it just slightly over the 1 min mark. Sorry.. Anyways i hope that you enjoy it and good luck to everyone else that enters..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTRbTku9rRM

Keep on strummin

prettiwiki
10-11-2010, 05:40 AM

Nah don't let that video stop you from doing it

prettiwiki
10-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Ok, thought that i would have a little bash at this.. I was going to do this anyways for my 3 year old son who iv'e just discovered is autistic and loves toy story.. I tried to get all the song in as quick as i could (but not so fast that it sounds daft), which takes it just slightly over the 1 min mark. Sorry.. Anyways i hope that you enjoy it and good luck to everyone else that enters..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTRbTku9rRM

Keep on strummin

Well done, That the whole song?????

Cokecan72
10-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Well i belive that, that is the whole song, that is all the verses i could find, with the intro and middle widdle bit..
and thanks for the comment :). Glad you liked it..thank you.

SuzukHammer
10-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Well i belive that, that is the whole song, that is all the verses i could find, with the intro and middle widdle bit..
and thanks for the comment :). Glad you liked it..thank you.

I liked your singing of the song Cokecan. You obviously know the song. Its very smooth. If it feels rushed to you, then to me it feels "upbeat". I can see it different speeds on the mashup. yes.

For those struggling to get the rhythm check out trusty Mr. Lynch's instructional video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDK384r4Nvk

prettiwiki
10-11-2010, 02:08 PM
I liked your singing of the song Cokecan. You obviously know the song. Its very smooth. If it feels rushed to you, then to me it feels "upbeat". I can see it different speeds on the mashup. yes.

For those struggling to get the rhythm check out trusty Mr. Lynch's instructional video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDK384r4Nvk

I'm a noob , So I'll just make my own beat lol!

bobj
10-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Very nice Cokecan. It doesn't sound rushed, it just sounds fun. And quite smooth.
How did your son like it?

I am still working on it. I hope it will come together before the end of the month.

Cokecan72
10-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Very nice Cokecan. It doesn't sound rushed, it just sounds fun. And quite smooth.
How did your son like it?

I am still working on it. I hope it will come together before the end of the month.

Aloha Bobj, thank you for your nice comment, glad you liked it.. My Son likes it, bless him, he doesn't speak (part of having autism), but his smile and chuckle at his big chinned dad say's it all.. Which in turns make me a happy old dad too..
Keep at it, your get the hang of it, i actually like to play this one, i love the strumming plus it puts a smile on me boys face..
Good luck, look forward to hearing your version soon..
Keep on strummin

SuzukHammer
10-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Even though I can not "compete", I am learning the song and plan to make a video because these contests really improve the broad range of skills required.

fitncrafty
10-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Suzuk... I hope that you will put your video in the contest anyway! You never know!

Penguinofsorts
10-14-2010, 05:33 PM
I finally got the B7 E6 F dim B7 Em A7 DM7 G7 part down smoothly today! I love playing this song on my toy story ukulele and now I can actually play it all the way through..hah! I hope everyone is learning as much as I am through this little contest :-)

Lori
10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I really enjoy learning this song too. It is perfect for the ukulele. Even if I don't get time to make a video, thanks for inspiring me to learn the song.

–Lori

bobj
10-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey Suzuk, I wanna hear your version. No worries about the contest part, eh.

And I agree with the others that the "learning" part has been the best part. I was first just thinking about that cool Toy Story uke. But now I've learned so much by being forced to learn my first real song. I've learned a lot about what I can and can't (singing) do. It is great for me.

And.... I am not going to get the B7 E6 F dim B7 Em A7 DM7 G7 part down. Oh well. Too much job, and not enough energy this month. I am learning the regular verses though :-)

SuzukHammer
10-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Hey, has anybody observed that parts of the song mirror Uncle Rod's boot camp?

Teacher Mike described a little of what diminished chords were used in the 30s and 40s too; so that grabbed my attention and gives that part of the song a swingtime "feel" now.

So, this song has some musical lessons. (as all songs do); but, this is one of the first times, I'm not just learning the sequence, I am identifying sequences as RUNS. I wonder if that makes sense. I heard Aldrine talk aout a diminished RUN and I thought "do musicians think in term of sequences as RUNS,"

Cokecan72
10-15-2010, 06:29 AM
myself personally, think of it more as a progression when it a chord based run per say and a run as more of a single note run... But thats just me, someone please correct me if i'm wrong ..

joeybug
10-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Help! How to I make my video a response to the contest video? I've new to YouTube and can just about upload and such!

It's uploading now and I'll post it here when finished, but don't know how to respond on YouTube?

Thanks for any help!

Penguinofsorts
10-17-2010, 06:43 AM
I've never actually done it...but if you try to just comment regularly on the video, there's an option to add a video to the comment...so that's probably what you do!

joeybug
10-17-2010, 07:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsj4QJUBupg&feature=watch_response

I played with Miss D, who played C on Astrid throughout the whole song :D

I doubt we'll win, but it was a LOT of fun :D

joeybug
10-17-2010, 07:35 AM
I've never actually done it...but if you try to just comment regularly on the video, there's an option to add a video to the comment...so that's probably what you do!

Thanks, I managed to work it out :D

bobby b
10-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Hahaha, FUN!! Great hat Miss D! I also like how kitty comes running in when the ukes get going, even adds a meow to the mix, wonderful stuff!!

Lori
10-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I probably won't have time to enter, but I had to shoot this photo. The little ukulele is only 14.5 inches long, and you can't really play it (the strings make a sound, and it is really hard to tune, so it is really a wall hanger)
–Lori

joeybug
10-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Hahaha, FUN!! Great hat Miss D! I also like how kitty comes running in when the ukes get going, even adds a meow to the mix, wonderful stuff!!

Thanks, glad you liked it :D

Cokecan72
10-17-2010, 11:46 PM
@joeybug, Well done there, not an easy song to do.. It only feels like the other day i was watching your first vid on here (amazing grace, if i remember rightly) and here you are now posting vids and entering competitions..Great Stuff, Good to see.. Keep up the good work, Good luck and Keep on strummin.. :)

bobj
10-18-2010, 01:03 AM
Good job Joey. Great smiles and uking (yuking? ukuleleing? I don't know how to say it. :-) Anyway, great job!)

bobj
10-18-2010, 01:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiq0Wrmxir0

OK. Here goes a big step. I am trying to link my youtube entry. This is my 1st time to do all this. So please forgive me if I mess up the linking/posting video part.

The first thing I learned when I began the uke last month is that I can't sing. Ha ha, really, really, REALLY can't sing.

So we had a tiny break at work. I brought my daughter's toy piano, and my Japanese friends pitched in. (The first verse is in English, the 2nd in Japanese.)

This is my first song ever, the 1st time I tried to play standing up (not as easy as it sounds.) It's actually my first time to play for anyone other than my 3 y.o. daughter.
I handed my iphone to one guy, and we did one take.

We had quite a laugh, and I was gonna just delete it, but then I thought of the contest rules, and this seemed like it fit pretty well.

So here it is, with all its warts. (Hayashi San on piano, Komori San on female vocals, Uchi San on male vocals, and Okawa san behind the iphone. Thank you everyone.)

joeybug
10-18-2010, 02:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiq0Wrmxir0

OK. Here goes a big step. I am trying to link my youtube entry. This is my 1st time to do all this. So please forgive me if I mess up the linking/posting video part.

The first thing I learned when I began the uke last month is that I can't sing. Ha ha, really, really, REALLY can't sing.

So we had a tiny break at work. I brought my daughter's toy piano, and my Japanese friends pitched in. (The first verse is in English, the 2nd in Japanese.)

This is my first song ever, the 1st time I tried to play standing up (not as easy as it sounds.) It's actually my first time to play for anyone other than my 3 y.o. daughter.
I handed my iphone to one guy, and we did one take.

We had quite a laugh, and I was gonna just delete it, but then I thought of the contest rules, and this seemed like it fit pretty well.

So here it is, with all its warts. (Hayashi San on piano, Komori San on female vocals, Uchi San on male vocals, and Okawa san behind the iphone. Thank you everyone.)

That's GREAT Bob, you did REALLY well, I'm blown away by how good it is :D Great job! Good Luck :D

Cokecan72
10-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Nice job, :).. I wanna work there, get to bring in me uke and play n sing.. Good job..
Well done, good luck..

bazmaz
10-18-2010, 04:21 AM
May have to give this a go - played this live at a gig the other week!

Cokecan72
10-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Hello again, righty then after submitting my first entry, i got slightly paranoid that the length went on for over a minute. So wanting to keep within the rules i redone my entry :) . (i hope that, that is ok and doesn't infringe on the rules)..

So after practicing tons and giving myself a wrist ache i can now proudly present my new entry..
With the help of my youngest daughter Tru-li doing the dancing woody n buzz i have managed to get the whole song apart from the intro into 1 Minute.. yay !!!

For my autistic son Harry, Daddy loves ya boy xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbh_VrbUxK0

Hope that you enjoy, Good luck to everyone.
Keep on strummin :)

joeybug
10-19-2010, 02:19 AM
Hello again, righty then after submitting my first entry, i got slightly paranoid that the length went on for over a minute. So wanting to keep within the rules i redone my entry :) . (i hope that, that is ok and doesn't infringe on the rules)..

So after practicing tons and giving myself a wrist ache i can now proudly present my new entry..
With the help of my youngest daughter Tru-li doing the dancing woody n buzz i have managed to get the whole song apart from the intro into 1 Minute.. yay !!!

For my autistic son Harry, Daddy loves ya boy xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbh_VrbUxK0

Hope that you enjoy, Good luck to everyone.
Keep on strummin :)

I love this one, brought a smile to my face and it was so sweet! Grear job :D

bobj
10-19-2010, 02:33 AM
That is awesome Cokecan. I think you get my vote (so far) sorry it's an unofficial vote :-)

And, by the way, we aren't really allowed to play uke and such at work. We kinda just snuck that in. We were sorta looking over our shoulders the whole time, trying not to get stopped. It was pretty funny for us. A nice little diversion during a long day of work.

Cokecan72
10-19-2010, 02:50 AM
To joeybug and bobj, Thank you both very much, your comments are very kind and i'm glad that you both liked it.. The great thing is that above all else i can plonk this vid on my computer and my boys little face lights up and the little chuckle that goes along with it, makes the video worth the effort (and my wrist ache) just for that.. :)

And Bobj i think that its a fantastic sneaky achievement sneaking your ukulele into work along with toy piano and actually getting away with recording a song.. A good days work in my opinion..

And to Joeybug, keep on strummin there, i love hearing how your progressing, i think your doing a great job :)

Keep on Strummin :)

joeybug
10-19-2010, 02:53 AM
To joeybug and bobj, Thank you both very much, your comments are very kind and i'm glad that you both liked it.. The great thing is that above all else i can plonk this vid on my computer and my boys little face lights up and the little chuckle that goes along with it, makes the video worth the effort (and my wrist ache) just for that.. :)

And to Joeybug, keep on strummin there, i love hearing how your progressing, i think your doing a great job :)

Thanks, I'm getting there, slowly...just gotta get that strumming up down thing done...my fingers get caught in the strings!

I think it's sweet that your little boy loves his daddy's playing so much!

fitncrafty
10-19-2010, 02:54 AM

And Bobj i think that its a fantastic sneaky achievement sneaking your ukulele into work along with toy piano and actually getting away with recording a song.. A good days work in my opinion..

Isn't it the best when you can make your little one so happy with something you love to do!?

I don't know how anyone is going to judge this contest, the entries are all good for various reasons... I am glad that I don't have to decide!

Cokecan72
10-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Isn't it the best when you can make your little one so happy with something you love to do!?

Its one of the best feelings in the world. My son doesn't speak so a smile and a chuckle means more than words to me..
Music is a fantastic form of communication and expressing feelings, it can make you sad, cry, or it can make you happy and laugh or just bring back memorys from good times gone by..

I done my video and posted it on here before my Ever accepting loving wife got to see it and when she watched it for the first time it made her cry, which then in turn got me all tearfull too, since i'm getting old and my kids have turned me into a soppy ol'Bugger...

I have to say that the lyrics in this song convey my feelings to my son in a such an accurate way, so for that i'll be for ever greatfull to Penguinofsorts and Suzukhammer for giving me the idea to have a bash at this and giving me something that i can share with my son and make him smile.. Thank you !! :)

bobj
10-21-2010, 01:56 AM
I have a totally ignorant, newbie question...

I want to learn how to pick that little intro part for this song, but I don't know how to do it. I've seen a couple youtube videos of people doing it, but I can't figure out what to actually do with my left and right hand.
How do I learn this? I know if I had any musical ability it would probably be a snap, but I don't have a clue.

Is this what "tabs" are for?
thank you

Cokecan72
10-21-2010, 04:14 AM
@bobj that is exactly what tabs are for, i think i've seen the bit you mean.. It sounds like the begining melody and not just some chords fingerpicked (if that makes sence).. But after searching about all i could find were variations of the chords and no solo tabulature :(

If you or indeed some other kind person on here finds it, please post it, as i would like to have a little dabble at that myself.

If i get a bit of spare time later i might have a bash at it, and if i get anyjoy i will let you know Bobj.. But dont hold your breath, i'm not that great..

bobj
10-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Well the deadline is quickly coming. With work everyday and night, I am not gonna get any more progress done on the song. But it's been great to do this. It really kicked-off my uke learning.

Big thanks to the 2 contest sponsors. Good luck with the judging. I am so happy that I don't have to decide.

OK, back to the salt mines. Maybe I can visit UU again in Nov.

Penguinofsorts
10-28-2010, 09:45 AM
3 more days, everybody!! Thanks for all of the submissions so far! I'm glad that everyone is using this as a learning experience! Our impartial judges are going to have a tough time!!

fitncrafty
10-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Can't wait to hear who the winner is!! how exciting.. glad I am not a judge!

haoleerik
10-28-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeb2uRpv-PA&feature=watch_response

what ya think gang?

Cokecan72
10-29-2010, 07:08 AM
@haoleerik, Well done there, Good stuff and good luck :)

ReeseC
10-30-2010, 11:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsehzbSqEXA

Hope ya'll enjoy it! It sure was fun making it and I hope it's fun to watch! It's just over a minute, but only because of the introduction. Good luck everyone!

Cokecan72
10-31-2010, 03:03 AM
@Reesec, Good job there :) .. Good luck and keep on strummin

fitncrafty
10-31-2010, 04:08 AM
Hope ya'll enjoy it! It sure was fun making it and I hope it's fun to watch! It's just over a minute, but only because of the introduction. Good luck everyone!

Reese.. Great job, fun video, great playing.. Great tshirt collection and love your bear! Good luck! come out of the woodwork more often!

Penguinofsorts
11-01-2010, 03:04 AM
Thanks everybody for your submissions! Judging should take place tonight and I'll announce the winners tomorrow!! Everyone did a great job!!!

Penguinofsorts
11-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Ok everybody!

This was a difficult contest to judge. My impartial judges tried to go with the videos that showed the most warmth and friendship, etc. They did NOT get to read the thread for back stories, although I did show them a video or two that didn't quite get linked to the youtube contest one.

I really appreciate everyone putting forth an effort to give the song/video a whirl! I hope it was as much fun for you as it was for me and I hope you all enter more contests in the future! Great videos!!

First place: Provines (gets to choose - plastic or wood!)

Second Place: BobJ (gets whichever one Provines didn't choose!)

Thanks again for entering!!!

fitncrafty
11-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Nice job everyone.. Congrats... you all were winners to me!! kudos!!!

Cokecan72
11-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Can i just ask where the winners vidoes are as i dont remeber seeing them ???.. Contrates to them too :)

fitncrafty
11-02-2010, 03:49 PM
First place winner is the first one submitted and the other one, is maybe page three of the thread...

Cokecan72
11-02-2010, 03:52 PM
My mistake found the first one :), still can't find the second one, not on here or on the youtube channel.. :( oh well..

Well done provines and bobj.. A mighty fine job..

Good comp, i enjoyed it great song to learn..

keep on strummin ;)

Penguinofsorts
11-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Hi Cokecan72 - try post 63....I think that's it.

SuzukHammer
11-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I got to check out all the videos. Life dealt me some new cards - not bad; but its kept my attention away from the uke endeavors lately.

bobj
11-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Oh! Wow!
Unexpected, but...
That is so cool!

Talk about icing on the cake...
We just had fun doing it. So getting a wonderful prize is beyond fun :-)

Thank you very much.

gruke
11-04-2010, 03:49 AM
I know this has ended, but what a fun contest. I feel like I won too. I've been wanting a uke, but didn't have one yet... Last Thursday (the first day I saw this contest I believe) I googled "Woody's Roundup Guitar", and found one at Toys R Us. I ran out and bought it and, though I never felt confident enough to post it, I did learn this song!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou, Penguin of sorts and Suzuk hammer. Thanks to this contest, I feel like I'm a winner too.

And to Cokecan, your video was great. I think you have the best prize of all. Your son will be smiling at his dad's great video long after this contest is over.

Thanks to all of you. You all helped me to learn this song. (Now it's on to the Christmas carols!)

joeybug
11-12-2010, 03:22 AM
Congrats to the winners! Bobj!!! You did great :D Provines! You're video was excellent!

Thanks for such a great contest! Darla and I had fun playing and learning the song :D

I agree with gruke, Cokecan, you're the owner of the best prize, a son smiling at your video :D

Thanks for the contest!