uke talk - Is this a long neck soprano?

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
[video]http://video.yahoo.com/watch/8251855/21944528[/video]

Tell me this lady don't rock.

We need her on uke ;)

hi suzuk

It's called a "shamisen":confused: (a viewer comment referred to it as that): 3 -stringed Japanese instrument kind of like a guitar, but heaps longer and thinner neck. No frets, and it's got that tight skin on the head, just like a banjo, so when you pluck away, chicken style, its got that big boomy sound!!!

Fantastic clip mate, thanks for sharing!!! Like the bongos! Sounds very middle eastern...like something ali farka toure would play...

I think us ukers might called it giraffe-neck Soprano...:)

Last edited:
I was stretching the truth just to post that video on Uke Talk. But I don't know if anybody could see it if I put it in miscellaneous intruments.

I want to see Miss Kimona on a Kamaka. I want more.

haha

My understanding was that Asian music didn't use chords. It is mainly melody or notes over a 4 beat backbeat.
k
THis lady is using 3 note chords.

ANd that guy. Was he using a clam shell or a lady's high heel shoe for his strum pick?

PLease somebody tell me this was a blackout memory from drinking.

blackout memory

ok, please understand I am joking. these guys are more talented in music. I am envious; but, at the same time, I swear to Gawd its like daja vu - I know I had a Daffy duck hat and accordian one night....

or was it a daffy duck accordian and a hat???? I don't know. I don't remember.

Last edited:
ANd that guy. Was he using a clam shell or a lady's high heel shoe for his strum pick?

That is the traditional pick used on the shamisen known as a "bachi".

15423351_48753fe079.jpg

Top Bottom