PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing when I play some chords...

joeybug
09-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Hi, I know I don't have a top of the range Uke, but my little purple one is all I have right now and I changed the strings over to good ones yesterday and today it's buzzing when I strum some chords, not all of them, and it doesn't do it when I strum with the strings open...is this the strings? A problem with the Uke? Anything I can do to fix it because although I plan to buy an Ohana this weekend, I don't want to not play and it's rather annoying having it buzz when you're doing chords!

Thanks

Joey

mm stan
09-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Aloha Joeybug,
Are all the strings buzzing or which ones???? Stan..

joeybug
09-27-2010, 01:25 AM
Aloha Joeybug,
Are all the strings buzzing or which ones???? Stan..

I think it's the C string, but I'm not 100% sure because when I stop playing to find out which one is buzzing and I play it open, they stop buzzing...

joeybug
09-27-2010, 01:28 AM
I just double checked and it IS the C string...and I've checked and the neck is straight, but it seems to only happen if I either play it open on it's own or certain chords, though it's not as bad when I pluck than when I strum...

GreatGazukes
09-27-2010, 02:29 AM
I suspect the problem is at the nut. The slot for the c string is possibly too wide for your new strings. Possibly use a piece of paper in the slot?? Other members will probably have better ideas than this.

Good luck, Tony

joeybug
09-27-2010, 02:32 AM
I suspect the problem is at the nut. The slot for the c string is possibly too wide for your new strings. Possibly use a piece of paper in the slot?? Other members will probably have better ideas than this.

Good luck, Tony

I will try that, thanks :D

spookefoote
09-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Chuck a bit of blu-tack in the nut joey

cletus
09-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Chuck a bit of blu-tack in the nut joey

Why does "Tie Me Kangaroo Down" come to mind?
Sorry, the heat here is relentless this summer...

spookefoote
09-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Why does "Tie Me Kangaroo Down" come to mind?
Sorry, the heat here is relentless this summer...

Nice one mate, I love your sense of humour.

mm stan
09-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Aloha Joeybug,
How did the paper shim work out in the nut???Did it stop the buzzing???
MM Stan...

hoosierhiver
09-27-2010, 08:04 AM

Good luck, Tony

or the groove is too narrow. The C string is the fattest string, if it seems to be sitting on top of the nut more than the others this could be the problem.

bazmaz
09-27-2010, 08:28 AM
sorry to have not posted sooner

my guide to buzzes and rattles is here

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/09/buzzes-and-rattles-on-ukulele.html

joeybug
09-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies...I've tried putting some paper in the nut and it still buzzed, but the blue tac seems to have stopped it! Thanks everyone :D Now I just have to master "You've got a friend" for the Toy Story comp...my god daughter says I *have* to win because she wants the prize *so* badly...ummm...I told her I was practising but she seems to think it'll just come out right if I stare at it enough!