Buzzing when I play some chords...

joeybug

Reaction score
Hi, I know I don't have a top of the range Uke, but my little purple one is all I have right now and I changed the strings over to good ones yesterday and today it's buzzing when I strum some chords, not all of them, and it doesn't do it when I strum with the strings open...is this the strings? A problem with the Uke? Anything I can do to fix it because although I plan to buy an Ohana this weekend, I don't want to not play and it's rather annoying having it buzz when you're doing chords!

Thanks

Joey

Aloha Joeybug,
Are all the strings buzzing or which ones???? Stan..

Last edited:
Aloha Joeybug,
Are all the strings buzzing or which ones???? Stan..

I think it's the C string, but I'm not 100% sure because when I stop playing to find out which one is buzzing and I play it open, they stop buzzing...

I just double checked and it IS the C string...and I've checked and the neck is straight, but it seems to only happen if I either play it open on it's own or certain chords, though it's not as bad when I pluck than when I strum...

I suspect the problem is at the nut. The slot for the c string is possibly too wide for your new strings. Possibly use a piece of paper in the slot?? Other members will probably have better ideas than this.

Good luck, Tony

I suspect the problem is at the nut. The slot for the c string is possibly too wide for your new strings. Possibly use a piece of paper in the slot?? Other members will probably have better ideas than this.

Good luck, Tony

I will try that, thanks :D

Chuck a bit of blu-tack in the nut joey

Good luck, Tony

or the groove is too narrow. The C string is the fattest string, if it seems to be sitting on top of the nut more than the others this could be the problem.

Thanks everyone for your replies...I've tried putting some paper in the nut and it still buzzed, but the blue tac seems to have stopped it! Thanks everyone :D Now I just have to master "You've got a friend" for the Toy Story comp...my god daughter says I *have* to win because she wants the prize *so* badly...ummm...I told her I was practising but she seems to think it'll just come out right if I stare at it enough!

Top Bottom