Taj Mahal playing uke?

Dougf

Reaction score
Check out this photo, it looks to me like he's playing a uke, maybe with a double course of C strings. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks,

Doug

tajmahal250.jpg

If my memory serves me correctly Pat Crockett is the guy's name that plays ukulele in Taj's band, on The New Hula Blues and the like... Taj lived on Kauai for a number of years. I am sure he has picked up an ukulele from time to time. That's about all the light I can shed on the picture.

Take care,
Thomas

I saw Taj at the Blues and Brews festival in Telluride Colorado in '01 (before I had a reason to notice ukuleles), and I am pretty sure he played one on a few tunes. He was really great, but mostly at that point I was trying to stay warm until James Brown came on!

He plays uke on a few tunes from Maestro, his most recent album. Also check out Taj Mahal and the Hula Blues Band, which has some really neat songs.

Yea he bought a CK6E from us a while back. I haven't seen this pic though. You can tell its ours from the split oval inlay on the fingerboard.

I saw Taj last night. Great show and he was wielding an 8 string Kala in addition to a resonator guitar (his work horse) and a 5 string banjo. He played them all quite well.

Top Bottom