Beginning Uke Strum Technique Questions

Sharada

Reaction score
Hiya UUers, got my uke two days ago and its been a blast. Been playing around with it mainly trying to get the C/Am/F/G7 chords down cold, and its pretty gratifying to see progress even if its just the start! I'm not even really sure what question to be asking at this point so I hope its okay if I post a sort of 'uke learner diary' and solicit comments.

So far, getting that nice sounding chord out of my little soprano has been the biggest reward. To do that though, I cant separate the left hand chord forming and right hand strum technique like Boot Camp suggests =/

I can get a pretty solid sound on a down strum by curling my index so that the middle joint is perpendicular to my palm, and the fingernail joint is curled back towards my forearm. The strings bump along the back of my nail smoothly when I flick my wrist that way, but my index gets stuck on the A string every time on the upstrum when I do it that way. Been watching the uke minute strum repeatedly and curling the finger this much doesn't seem to be the way to go. When I try and straighten my index more so that the middle and nail joint are both perpendicular, it tends to get caught on the G string unless I hit it with the very tip of the finger. And I still get caught on the A string alot on the up strum. My nails on my right hand are quite short at the moment. Open to any suggestions!

Also, does where you strum on the strings alter your technique? If I strum nearer the sound hole, I find it easier to strum without getting caught on the G or A strings because the strings are looser, but its harder to get a light touch because my arm is arching more and has less support. Conversely, if I raise the angle of the neck and strum near the base of the fretboard I can get that light touch but I find my finger sticking to the G and A strings more. My forearm also brushes against the base of the bridge/bottom of the string knots when strumming higher. Is this bad for sound quality?

Either way, there's little buzzing on the C string, most noticeable on a G7 chord. I'm hoping its a technique issue, it mostly comes when I'm chord switching and strumming for volume, probably harder than I should be.

Thanks for all the support and comments!

Congrats on the progress it sounds like you've made so far. It's always rewarding to see those gains.

As far as strumming goes, it seems like this is a bit different for everyone. I know some folks who just strum with a really lose index finger. I can't do that without my index finger getting caught on the upstrums. Others will use a felt pick. I opt for curling all my fingers back a little bit and using the tops of my fingers (fingernail) to brush over the strings on the downstrums and then use the side of my thumb for the upstrums. I don't know if this is technically correct but it seems to work and I like the sound I get from it.

One thing to keep in mind is to keep your wrist, hand, and fingers very loose. I find that the more tense my fingers are they are more likely to get caught or hung up on a string.

Ideally, where you strum on the strings shouldn't alter your technique too much. You might have to adjust a little bit (e.g. when you strum closer to the fretboard you don't want your forearm muting the strings). People will often strum in different spots on the ukulele to get a different sound. When you strum closer to the bridge it's a bit more of a brighter sound while as you move closer up the fretboard the sound gets a bit warmer.

As for buzzing frets... be sure that your fingers are pressing as close to the frets as possible. Almost to the point where your fingers are on the frets, but just a little bit behind. It does take some time to build up strength in your wrist as well. If you're already doing that, sometimes buzzing can be caused from the quality of the ukulele.

These are some jumbled thoughts.. I hope they help some :)

Hey Sharada, sounds like you're off to a great start. Here is a video link by one of many good teachers out there. Not only does he explain how he uses his index finger to do basic strums, but notice where on the uke he strums, just ahead of the sound hole, (toward your left hand). You're doing great! Proper technique is important with many things but I think the uke montra is "whatever works for you". There are many different styles and techniques taught. Find "what works for you".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-X_FxbUJZM

Aloha Sharada,
Glad to hear you're making progress in your uke playing and getting down your chord progressions. As for your finger getting caught on the strings, try different
angles of attack on the strings to see where and what angle is best for you and how hard or light you strum..
Also on the buzzing, make sure your fretting fingernails are short so you can press down on the fretboard with ease, may help the buzz.
You can also check each string if there is a buzz, by open or fretting it....that way you'll know it it's technique or an issue with your uke..
I hope it helps, Good Luck and Happy Strummings.....MM Stan..

Also, sometimes if the back of your uke is touching something, like the zipper of a hoody, it'll make a buzzing sound. It took me a while to figure that out. I had a weird buzzing sound coming from my C string as well. When you're playing, try to keep the uke tilted away from your body a bit.

Hey Sharada, sounds like you're off to a great start. Here is a video link by one of many good teachers out there.

So simple, but a great tutorial & technique. I've seen various instructional videos, some by Aldrine, & this particular one finally made sense of what I was hearing w/the simple use of hand-claps. Another level unlocked ...

Rather than start a new thread, I wondered if anyone had any advice for me.

I've been playing about six weeks and can only (so far) manage to play a song strumming down. I generally use a felt pick, but also use my right hand at times. Anyway, I'm trying to perfect a song for a competition and I can't seem to get the down/up strumming to sound like it's supposed to, it sounds very wrong. I've done it with both my pick and my hand and it just doesn't sound very good. What am I doing wrong :confused:

When I play it with just the down strum, it sounds fine, but I know that it's just a supposedly "simple" down/up strum for the song to sound perfect and I'm frustrated that I can't seem to get it right...any advice?

Rather than start a new thread, I wondered if anyone had any advice for me.

I've been playing about six weeks and can only (so far) manage to play a song strumming down. I generally use a felt pick, but also use my right hand at times. Anyway, I'm trying to perfect a song for a competition and I can't seem to get the down/up strumming to sound like it's supposed to, it sounds very wrong. I've done it with both my pick and my hand and it just doesn't sound very good. What am I doing wrong :confused:

When I play it with just the down strum, it sounds fine, but I know that it's just a supposedly "simple" down/up strum for the song to sound perfect and I'm frustrated that I can't seem to get it right...any advice?

Hi Joeybug, I'll say, check the vid I posted a few replies ago. Also don't rush it trying to play it for the contest entry. Do your best down strum so 'that' sounds the best it will. SLOWLY start working on your down, up, strum. It will come be patient. You'll get it, Especially with your music background.
You can also post a vid of your techique, if you think that is the problem. You just posted your very first complete song and now you're bummed cuz your newest strum technique isn't perfect right out of the gate. Give yourself a break, you're ahead of the curve:) Following your posts I can tell that, like many of us newbies, you have much talent, ability and brains but lack experience, which we are all working on day by day. you're the best!!!
DAP

Hi Joeybug, I'll say, check the vid I posted a few replies ago. Also don't rush it trying to play it for the contest entry. Do your best down strum so 'that' sounds the best it will. SLOWLY start working on your down, up, strum. It will come be patient. You'll get it, Especially with your music background.
You can also post a vid of your techique, if you think that is the problem. You just posted your very first complete song and now you're bummed cuz your newest strum technique isn't perfect right out of the gate. Give yourself a break, you're ahead of the curve:) Following your posts I can tell that, like many of us newbies, you have much talent, ability and brains but lack experience, which we are all working on day by day. you're the best!!!
DAP

Thanks for the advice I've started slowly introducting an up strum, but like you said it's not the best, I'll keep trying and if it's not perfect by the comp date, then I'll just stick to my down strum :D

Thanks again.
Joey

Thanks for the advice I've started slowly introducting an up strum, but like you said it's not the best, I'll keep trying and if it's not perfect by the comp date, then I'll just stick to my down strum :D

Thanks again.
Joey
It's inevitable that you'll master it, maybe by contest video posting time, maybe not, but I'm looking forward to your progress. DAP

I've developed what you could call a "Frankenstein Strum". It's a D/U D/U D/U D/U 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 type of pattern. I instantly locked onto it as a newbie because it was so easy. Just envision a Oompah band staffed by zombies.

Only problem is that I find now that it's kinda hard to unwire my braaains from this methodical plodding. So I'm trying like mad to sex up the strum a whole bit and return to the world of the living.

That being said it still sounds kinda nice.

Happy One Week Uke Anniversary!

Thank you for the tips everyone, I now have a good sounding upstrum even if it isnt 100% consistent yet! Practice, practice, practice. Watched that youtube you linked DAPuke and it was really nice. The top down view of the strum vs a straight on view really helped to see what was going on. Elevating the neck of the uke and bringing my forearm a bit out from under the bridge to the body of the uke made all the difference, though trying to do a 100% nail, 100% finger down/up strum made me feel like I was craning my wrist on a soprano uke. So I tweaked it and changed the angle of attack so that its about 75% nail, 25% finger on the downstrum which still makes it natural for 100% finger upstrum, though its more on the side than the pad of my index. And it works! I even got the D, D/U, U/D going and sound like Aaron occasionally.

Actually have two strum hand positions which seem to work, one where the fingers are all mostly flat, with the index dipping down from the plane of the other fingers to strum. The other is a loose fist, with the index finger poking out and the pad of my thumb supporting on the first knuckle of the index. The funny thing is that I get more consistent strums when I'm not looking at the uke than when I do. I think its like savethecheerleader said, I tend to be more tense in my strumming when I'm watching my hands to get the chords right vs just staring off and strumming. As for the buzzing I think it was technique. When I formed the G7 one finger at a time, pressing straight down and just behind the fret, usually the buzz went away except when I strum harder. When I do the G7 during a chord switch I come down at an angle and push the string slightly sideways and I think the C string was buzzing on the fret below. Something that practice and training the fingers will take care of in time I hope!

http://www.4shared.com/file/RJISsOhb/Ukulele_Boot_Camp_rev.html is the link for boot camp by the way. You can also get a pdf version from the 'More from FreeBooklet link'

Thanks again for the tips everyone!
Symon

Last edited:
It's inevitable that you'll master it, maybe by contest video posting time, maybe not, but I'm looking forward to your progress. DAP

Thanks DAP...I think I'm gonna have the down/up mastered by contest posting time, but we'll see!

I've developed what you could call a "Frankenstein Strum". It's a D/U D/U D/U D/U 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 type of pattern.
Thats the foundation for any 4/4 song strum. to vary it, don't make contact with the strings on a "D" or "U". Your motion of D/U should not change.
DAP

Sounds like you're doing great. You mention Boot Camp - can you please share the link to Ukulele Boot Camp?

Mahalo!
Aloha Robynlihau,
Go to the forums search bar upper right and type in Uncle Rod higuchi and click..then click on any posting and scroll down and look for his thread and click on his signature on his thread.
I hope this helps...Good Luck! MM Stan If you still need help ask again....

Sharada! yeee! you´re doing great!
joeybug, what contest are you talking about?

The "Toy Story 3/You've Got A Friend In Me" one it's in the contest forum, trying to win the prize for my soon to be six year old god daughter!

Thanks Joey, ive been reading mostly just ukulele beginners posts :) just cant make myself read while I could be playng my Uku.

Top Bottom