PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of Love for you all :)

whiely
09-27-2010, 07:44 PM
G'day,

So, as everyone inevitably finds, from time to time, you think about your past loves. Sometimes, this makes you mad, sometimes happy, or even sad. Well today, it made me sad. I felt so sad that I wasn't with her anymore. I missed all the things we used to do, be it big things or just the little things.

Before I continue, I would like to say that I am very new to the Ukulele, I've only had my cheap $20 Mahalo UY50 for a couple of days, and this is the first instrument I have ever played, I'm still working on bringing chords together.

Back to my story, So I was sitting on my bed, being all depressed, wondering what I could do to make myself feel happy again, then it came to me... I have an Ukulele! I looked up the chords for the song that my past love and I deemed "our song", Watch Over Me - Bernard Fanning. I can't play worth a damn, but in practicing the simple chords and putting them together, realizing I was actually playing "our song", I started to remember the good times I had with her, and it made me feel happy! Genuinely happy!

I am starting to realize the amazing thing about music, and I love it!

Hope you all are having a fantastic day!

I would love to hear some of your stories!

-Chris

mds725
09-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Aloha and welcome to UU! You've discovered the secret that appears on the soundboard of a plastic uke shown in the film "Mighty Uke" -- "Music self played is happiness self made."

I once got myself out of a funk induced by my realizing I'm going to have to sue a friend (now a former friend) to whom I had lent some money by learning to play "When You're Smiling."

Hippie Dribble
09-27-2010, 09:19 PM
good on ya Chris and thanks so much for sharing...

I think many find that music in general tends to heighten or exaggerate whatever mood you happen to be in at the time...but ,more specifically, the ukulele works against that general theory by always making you happy - either as player, observer or listener. I see in my own work as a diversional therapist and carer how the uke inevitably brings people together and makes them smile. :) Even those people determined to be down can't help but be changed by this beautiful, humble little instrument.

I know too, that, with my wife, many of our happiest times are spent singing and playing ukulele together. It opens people up to each other in such lovely ways. Sorry to hear about your loss in love bro, but you know that time brings healing and that you will find love again. Tip: get your next love into uke as well!!!

Also, like mds725 said, there is a great old uke still around that says "Music self played is happiness self made"....so so true...music has got me through many a lonely and depressed time. Therapy. When I first saw that particular Harold Teen uke I just had to buy it, cause it summed up so nicely what music has meant to me in my own life.

Cheers mate and welcome to UU!!!You'll be really encouraged and inspired to continue your musical ourney by all the good people here.

see you on the trail. eugene :o

I16342

click on the pic for a bigger view!!!

(tried to upload my harold Teen uke pic but failed...will try and post again later...)

mm stan
09-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Aloha and G'day Chris, AKA..Whiely, (is that like Whiely coyote..and the roadrunner)HMM

It comes a point in our lives when we reflect back at the good things and not so good things of our past...Everyone goes through this past regression
phase in life at some point. I'm glad that you remembered about the good times you had with your ukulele...and it was there for you
when you got depressed thinking about your past lovers. As Eugene and Mark said ukulele brings happiness and can be a powerful diversion
for your past unhappy memories...I believe the ukulele is so Fun, and that it is a natural anti depression medicine for the blues...Maybe that
is why all of us are in love with it. Thanks for sharing your story, Have fun and enjoy the sweet sounds of the ukulele!!Keep strumming them strings"
BYW-Welcome to the UU and our Humble forums...MM Stan...

joeybug
09-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Welcome to UU!

I'm a beginner too, just learning myself between uni and other commitments, you'll find a wealth of information on these forums :D

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-28-2010, 04:51 AM
nice story, I can sort of relate.. worst feeling when you miss someone you connected with well, and know (by saying know, there is NO chance of getting back together) that the feeling won't return. By the beach at around 11pm playing the ukulele... ;)

works wonders pal ! your from gold coast, plenty of nice beaches