UAS stage 1 - strings

brucemoffatt

Reaction score
Hi from Adelaide.

I have laughed as I've read the threads about buying new ukes, used ukes, and all the ukes that some people own, as I've been there before with other instruments. So, I know the symptoms of UAS and I'm far too canny to fall into that trap.

Today my new Aquila strings arrived for my three week old Makala uke that my wonderful kids bought me for Father's Day. No, it didn't actually NEED news strings as such, but, you know, they aren't too expensive, and we should really be doing our best to make sure we are playing our best, on the best equipment.

Oh yeah, I remember, this is how it begins.

UAS.

And there's no stopping it, either.

Bruce

it's a slippery slope brother bruce...

See you at the bottom of the hill!!! :eek:

Have you looked into the variety of fretboard oils?

peg tuner turners?

digitial clipon tuners?

Aloha Bruce,
Buying new strings are an inexpensive way to upgrade your sound of your Makala....it the first symptom of UAS upgrades...
Have fun and enjoy!! what's your next excuse to upgrade???HMMM..Keep strumming them strings!!! Cheers, MM Stan....

I love trying new strings but hate it when you take off your nicely broken in strings and try and new set......only to discover that you like the old ones better. You put the old ones back on but then you are back to retuning every time you pick it up (where's the sobbing icon)

Funny? This is serious ;) I never considered fretboard oils until now, and now I've got to wade through all the literature, search the forum for previous threads, start three new forum threads on the subject and procrastinate for a week only to discover that the one I buy isn't the one everyone else uses.

Where will it end?

On the plus side, I got the new Aquila strings on and they are just starting to settle down a little bit. Probably get a bit of a play on them tomorrow after work. They have a totally different feel under the fingers to the slippery little suckers I took off. These new ones will probably make my finger positioning more precise. I don't know yet if they sound any different, they sound mostly out of tune so far ;)

Strummin' and hummin', there's a lot to be said for it.

Funny? This is serious ;) I never considered fretboard oils until now, and now I've got to wade through all the literature, search the forum for previous threads, start three new forum threads on the subject and procrastinate for a week only to discover that the one I buy isn't the one everyone else uses.

Where will it end?

On the plus side, I got the new Aquila strings on and they are just starting to settle down a little bit. Probably get a bit of a play on them tomorrow after work. They have a totally different feel under the fingers to the slippery little suckers I took off. These new ones will probably make my finger positioning more precise. I don't know yet if they sound any different, they sound mostly out of tune so far ;)

Strummin' and hummin', there's a lot to be said for it.

Aloha Bruce,
Get yourself a digital chromatic clip on tuner, mine is a cherub WST 550-C ...google it @$15.95 it's a deal!
They make tuning alot easier, faster, quicker, deadly accurate, and no more tuning fustration...best move
you'll ever make for tuning!! MM Stan...

stage 2 of uas customizing your cheapo ukes xD

What about a case?

Or a strap?

Maybe a capo?

An Oasis Humidifier?

Or if you're staying with strings, how about Worth Browns (hard, medium or light), Worth Clears (hard, medium or light), low g, high g, Savarez, D'Addario.

Top Bottom