PDA

View Full Version : when is it ok to call youre self a virtuoso

Keef
09-28-2010, 03:59 AM
Title Edit : is it

im thinking that the title should be given to you by others what do you think:confused:

UncleElvis
09-28-2010, 04:26 AM
Exactly.

The answer is "Never".

For me, the instant you start calling yourself that, you stop being it.

(Although, there is another word that could be applied to someone who refers to themselves as a virtuoso... begins with "As" and ends with "shole" *grin*)

joeybug
09-28-2010, 04:33 AM
Dumb question but what *is* a virtuoso?

Keef
09-28-2010, 04:36 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuoso

joeybug
09-28-2010, 05:08 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuoso

kissing
09-28-2010, 05:22 AM
I don't think you ever call yourself a virtuoso. It's a title of respect others give you if they feel you are worthy.
If many people (and significant people) give you the honour of such title, perhaps then you have earned it.

Other than that, it's just a general term for someone who is highly talented above others in a certain instrument.

Dominator
09-28-2010, 05:29 AM
I don't think you ever call yourself a virtuoso. It's a title of respect others give you if they feel you are worthy.
If many people (and significant people) give you the honour of such title, perhaps then you have earned it.

Other than that, it's just a general term for someone who is highly talented above others in a certain instrument.

I think this pretty much sums it up. I don't think anyone should ever label themselves as a virtuoso.

Keef
09-28-2010, 05:51 AM
I find it ironic that to be a pro you need to promote your self yet at the same time you should tell anyone that you are good or great :) not that any of that applys to me

cletus
09-28-2010, 05:51 AM
Call yourself anything you'd like.
Don't call me late for dinner.

Cheers!

Keef
09-28-2010, 05:54 AM
I also find it ironic that practice makes perfect but nothing is perfect does this mean no one is practicing ? :)

Dougf
09-28-2010, 07:22 AM
If you are truly a virtuoso, you don't need to say anything -- it will be obvious when you play.

farmerboy
09-28-2010, 08:19 AM
one has greatness thrust upon one. It is not one's choice to claim virtuosity without at least a second opinion

one has made one's point one hopes

:D

Keef
09-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I wonder if their is a fancy name for what I am? :D

didgeridoo2
09-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Based on the responses to the question, these kids got it all wrong:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAnlcW_ILyw

How about an "I am Jake Shimabukuro" video?

hoosierhiver
09-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Kind of like calling yourself a genius.

Ronnie Aloha
09-28-2010, 08:59 AM
I think this pretty much sums it up. I don't think anyone should ever label themselves as a virtuoso.

Dominator = Virtuoso, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYQOQRWX7Mc

Keef
09-28-2010, 09:06 AM
I remember wanting to have a nick name so my FrIeNdS gave me one
(note to self never ask anyone for a nick name) :)

Ukuleleblues
09-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Kind of odd that someone would call themselves that, unless they can back it up and are making a living playing so they need to promote themselves. It certainly sounds better than He/she is a "Really, Really, Really good player...... "Tickets on sale for the Really Really Really Good Ukulele player". The joke around here is that we aspire to "not suck".

itsme
09-28-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't think anyone should ever label themselves as a virtuoso.
Yeah, that would be like calling yourself Maestro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro).

Ukulele JJ
09-28-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm a virtual so-and-so.

JJ

Kite
09-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Dominator = Virtuoso, IMHO.

:agree: The man even tabs out his pieces.

Brad Bordessa
09-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Virtuoso, prodigy, etc... Are all terms I highly dislike.

No one is the best. You can always be better. Therefore...

Play your music the best you can and may it bring light to your life.

Edit: Okay, I take it back. You can be the best - at playing your own music.

Hippie Dribble
09-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Exactly.

The answer is "Never".

For me, the instant you start calling yourself that, you stop being it.

(Although, there is another word that could be applied to someone who refers to themselves as a virtuoso... begins with "As" and ends with "shole" *grin*)

howdy Uncle...

those missing words....hmmmm...they don't begin with "Richard" and end with "Cranium" do they??? :biglaugh:

Chris Tarman
09-28-2010, 06:02 PM
I used to work with a guy who was the best blues guitarist I have ever played with. Not long after I met him, someone said they thought he played guitar. So one morning I said "I heard a dirty rumor about you... I heard you're a musician". His response was a very humble "Well, I play a little guitar". That was it. I asked what he played and he said "Mostly blues". Then I asked him who he liked and what kind of guitar he had... all his answers were pretty unassuming, until he started listing his guitars... '64 Gibson ES-335... a Strat... a Tele.... some other Gibson hollow body electrics that I can't remember now.... an old Silvertone.... Eventually I jammed on bass with him and holy cow! He was FREAKING AMAZING. He was just this little skinny middle aged white guy from Nebraska, and before I heard him I couldn't even picture him playing guitar. AFTER I heard him, I couldn't picture him doing anything else. He's also a great blues singer, and has a HUGE voice for a little bitty guy. He retired last year, and has some health issues now, so I don't know if he's even playing on his own these days.
So yeah... in my experience, the best players brag about themselves the least. There might be some GREAT players who tell everyone how great they are, but I don't really want to play with those guys.

Pippin
09-28-2010, 09:33 PM
I work with a guy that is one of the best guitarists that I have ever heard. Fred is simply amazing (that's his REAL name).

I grew up in the music business and played with some of the best guitarists in country music (at that time). Fred is better than all of them, and a total unknown. THAT makes me wonder how many fantastic guitarists and ukulele players out there don't care to be famous and just have a passion for making music. I have known several that could have gone "pro" ages ago, but they hate traveling all the time and hate the "scene"... they just love music.

phil_doleman
09-29-2010, 02:17 AM
I once read somewhere that your press releases, etc. should always be true (though of course you are always selective about what you print, and word it carefully to get the best from it!), but at the same time you shouldn't believe them yourself!

mm stan
09-29-2010, 02:37 AM
Probally never!!!! No one however good, should label himself or herself as one..it's a given