Tuning Question

y2julia619

Reaction score
Hey everbody, I've got a little question about tuning. I play the violin and every little bit you move the pegs the pitch changes. But when I tune my ukulele, I have to turn the pegs quite a bit to get the pitch to change. It just doesn't seem very precise I guess... Is this how it usually is or is there something wrong with the way I put the strings on?

Do you have geard or friction tuners? The geared tuners have a ratio, usually 14 to 1 so you have to turn the knob 14 times to get 1 full turn of thr peg. I'm not sure about violin, but I think they use a straight peg which would be a 1 to 1 ratio. Most friction pegs on ukes will have a 1 to 1 also. I hope this helps, and welcome to the forums!

Aloha Julia,
If you do have friction tuners, that's how they work(of course the cheaper ones are worse)..You just gotta get
used to them and make small adjustments back and forth until you get it precisely on the pitch..Sorry for the
bad news....Good Luck!! and Have Fun after tuning them and enjoy!!"Keep strumming themstrings" MM Stan...

Nylon uke string is more stretchy than violin string material, so I'd think it would take more turning of the peg to get an equivalent raise of the pitch regardless of the tuning peg type.

Thanks guys! It's not bad news! I just thought I had put the string on wrong. Thanks for the help!

Well, violin is certainly something that I would ask of you to stay away from until you know each and every thing of it because unlike other musical instruments violin has no end when it plays. Even if the lyrics ended, the violins just go on and on. So it is important that you need to know how to manipulate the upcoming situations in a song and if at all, you find the need to stop, you should know how to end it beautifully as well!

Last edited:
Well, violin is certainly something that I would ask of you to stay away from until you know each and every thing of it because unlike other musical instruments violin has no end when it plays. Even if the lyrics ended, the violins just go on and on. So it is important that you need to know how to manipulate the upcoming situations in a song and if at all, you find the need to stop, you should know how to end it beautifully as well!

What have you been drinking? Can you send me some please?

Top Bottom