A different approach...

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
I'm stuck in a rut. It's been prob near two years I bought my first uke and I'm getting frustrated. I look at people all around who play uke and how quickly they take to it. Truth is, I'm rubbish. I find myself just playing the same stuff, much to the frustration of my girlfriend. The problem is I just don't understand. I don't understand music, transposing things, scales... nothing! I play guitar, but that stuff has never held me back. It's just getting me down now, I just got a banjo-uke and am learning the style of playing that goes with it (the split stroke etc) which is coming along ok. I just know I face the prospect of using another tuning with this instrument, and then the whole cycle starts again. It is my ambition to start a ukulele club where I live, as there isn't anything like that around here, but I keep setting myself goals before I do it and I'm not getting there. I simply am not good enough, or atleast as good as I should be. I know time is a factor but I spent alot of time playing uke when I can and it doesn't move. I need help guys, I need pointers, recommendations on sites and lessons etc. I think if I could improve my technique and my understanding of music I would do a lot better. I want to finally master an instrument and I want it to be the uke!

I'm stuck in a rut. It's been prob near two years I bought my first uke and I'm getting frustrated. I look at people all around who play uke and how quickly they take to it. Truth is, I'm rubbish. I find myself just playing the same stuff, much to the frustration of my girlfriend. The problem is I just don't understand. I don't understand music, transposing things, scales... nothing! I play guitar, but that stuff has never held me back. It's just getting me down now, I just got a banjo-uke and am learning the style of playing that goes with it (the split stroke etc) which is coming along ok. I just know I face the prospect of using another tuning with this instrument, and then the whole cycle starts again. It is my ambition to start a ukulele club where I live, as there isn't anything like that around here, but I keep setting myself goals before I do it and I'm not getting there. I simply am not good enough, or atleast as good as I should be. I know time is a factor but I spent alot of time playing uke when I can and it doesn't move. I need help guys, I need pointers, recommendations on sites and lessons etc. I think if I could improve my technique and my understanding of music I would do a lot better. I want to finally master an instrument and I want it to be the uke!

I've been playing about a month/six weeks (I forget when I actually got my uke!) Anyway, my history in music is Oboe (which I was VERY good at but due to health reasons can no longer play) and Viola, which I've been back to and have since forgotten everything I've learnt. I too want to master the Ukulele, as I find it a joyful and happy instrument. You live close to me and although there are Ukulele club(s) (I think it's just one!) in Swindon, I'd love to meet people off UU so if you do ever get somewhere to start with that club, let me know.

I find it hard to get going with music on the Ukulele...I've master TWO songs, and just about to upgrade to an Ohana...basically what I'm saying is what I've heard from everyone here, practise, patience and in time it'll come...try branching out to songs just out side your comfort zone, stretch your mind and your fingers and maybe you'll get the inspiration to keep going.

I'm sorry if I'm babbling, I'm on morphine for pain and I'm a little out of it!

Basically, keep going, don't give up and you'll get there!

Last edited:
Yes I also suggest you try the UUU courses here, even give Aldrines videos a shot there are a lot of those (free). Also, find some fellow ukers and get together regularly and jam, that is a VERY good way to improve as every one there will help each other.

Hang in there and keep playing!!!

Not quite sure where your pain is, however, if you will work through the booklets (links below my signature)
it might help identify precisely where you'll need to put more time (read practice) into it.

The Boot Camp and the Songbook are designed to help with learing chords and practicing chord changes.
If you've got that down... way to go.

Keep uke'in',

Thanks guys! Uncle Rod, I shall go through your bootcamp when I'm next off work. I've tried learning from videos on YouTube and such but theres just so much out there, it can make my situation seem even worse! :S Joeybug, you're more than welcome when I get the thing up and running. I'm not even sure how much interest there will be in it but they have one in Cardiff that does really well. Cardiff for me is do-able, but as a non driver the locations in Cardiff are impossible for me to get to really! I'm aiming to get the gears in motion for the club around Feb/March time so hopefully I can get to some decent level by then!? Our spare room/studio should be finished soon too so can spend plenty of time practicing in there! Thanks for the advice, anymore welcome!...

Here in Maidstone, of the "main" people in the club, some of them are pretty good, some of them are really beginners with no previous musical experience. You don't need to be at skill level X. You need to be willing and wanting to have fun, and to be a bit extroverted. At our club, the biggest problem has nothing to do with playing, but simply in getting people to chat, and keeping things interesting structurally. Clubs are social/musical. I think you need to go for a walk and clear your head. I bet you're doing fine.

:)

I think you are being a little too hard on yourself. And I doubt that you are rubbish! Maybe you could post a video and let us decide? Just a thought ;) Just have fun with it! It will come. Sure, someday I would love to be a "Jake" or a more experience player, but for now, I'm pretty proud with just learning one song with just a few weeks of owning my first ukulele...with NO musical background! I'm sure it will take me a year or two to really "master" the uke. I'm okay with that. The main thing is that I enjoy it, and having fun!

You say that you are making your spare room into a studio? How cool is that? Might be the inspriation you need! Don't give up. I'm sure you are doing fine :)
*virtual pat on the shoulder*

Top Bottom