Old Kamaka Label....

spruce

Reaction score
Hi all...

I just picked up this old Kamaka Pineapple, and the label--even though it's mosty trashed--is a mystery to me....

I've never seen one with the pineapple in this location...

5026190973_e592c0b116_b.jpg

Also, does anyone out there happen to have photocopies of old Kamaka labels??
Would love to replace this label, as those old labels are just so-ooo cool...

Thanks in advance!

I can't help with the label but how about a couple pictures of the whole uke....just for viewing pleasure!

I can't help with the label but how about a couple pictures of the whole uke....just for viewing pleasure!

OK, this is a Pineapple Project....
Lots of cracks, and a weirdly enlarged soundhole....
All fixable, and I got it for a good price....
Here ya go:

5026177271_4700b58bae_b.jpg

5026179775_8f882f840d_b.jpg

5026184947_0c1c287db4_b.jpg

5026803020_7fe9f01005_b.jpg

Thanks Bruce,
What do you make of the soundhole? I keep looking at the picture trying to figure out what happened.....why someone would have tried to enlarge it.....or cut it....or what. Any ideas?

Thanks Bruce,
What do you make of the soundhole? I keep looking at the picture trying to figure out what happened.....why someone would have tried to enlarge it.....or cut it....or what. Any ideas?

The only thing I could think of is pickup damage, like from one of those clip-on DeArmonds...
But, yeah, that's a weird one....

Trying to figure out how to deal with it...
I mean, I could enlarge it, and it would a rare soul who would pick it out....
The other two Pineapples I have here have holes that vary considerably...

Or, patch it, which might be tough...
Was thinking of adding rope binding around the hole, but I dunno...

It's the one part of this whole deal that has me scratching my head...

Aloha Bruce,
What you have there is a rare Pineapple white label Kamaka...and the blue decal say it's special made as all pineappleas of that time.
It is probally form the real late twenties to very early thirties...If you want an original the only way is to bring that ukulele in to the
Kamaka factory...call them first if they still are available...maybe a big excuse to come to Hawaii...I've seen them labels from time
to time on Ebay..so check there often..looks like someone tried to enlarge the soundhole too ...and the cracks look very repaIRABLE..
Looks like a nice project, but tape off the pineapple on the soundboard and the blue label on the headstock as you may want to
keep the original and you almost will never find decals like that again....Good Luck and post some pic's of your project if you can.
MM Stan..

Aloha Bruce,
What you have there is a rare Pineapple white label Kamaka...and the blue decal say it's special made as all pineappleas of that time.
It is probally form the real late twenties to very early thirties...If you want an original the only way is to bring that ukulele in to the
Kamaka factory...call them first if they still are available...maybe a big excuse to come to Hawaii...I've seen them labels from time
to time on Ebay..so check there often..looks like someone tried to enlarge the soundhole too ...and the cracks look very repaIRABLE..
Looks like a nice project, but tape off the pineapple on the soundboard and the blue label on the headstock as you may want to
keep the original and you almost will never find decals like that again....Good Luck and post some pic's of your project if you can.
MM Stan..

Gold!
Thanks so much...
My knowledge of Pineapples is increasing exponentially, daily... ;)

I've done a lot of searching, but haven't been able to come up with a pic of an intact white label from this era...
Anyone have a pic, or a link kicking around??
Here's what the label looks like on my other Pineapple, and is the one I'm used to seeing:

180U-1165_label.jpg

Will keep an eye out on E$#y for those labels--thanks!

And I am planning a trip to Honolulu this coming Winter, so maybe Kamaka can help me out....
Do you know if they have labels around for folks in my situation?

OK, thanks for the great post, Stan...
That's the info I was looking for....

Spruce, I have an old pineapple with the label that is in your second photo too. If I had your new find I would just match that partial lightning bolt shape on the soundhole and leave it off center. If you make the soundhole too big won't it affect the sound overall? It does look like circa 30s with those black tuners. Nice find if it was cheap. :)

If you make the soundhole too big won't it affect the sound overall?

I'm going to enlarge the hole, install black binding for a "rosette", and add a new ring of koa or (probably) mahogany to bring it back to it's original size...
Shouldn't be too difficult of a repair, and I'll post pics when I'm done....

Nice find if it was cheap. :)

200 bucks...

Even a photo of a whole label would do the trick, as I could photocopy it and make it look old with a coffee-soak...
But I'm unable to get a photo of the whole label through the soundhole...
But if someone is doing a top replacement/repair, a nice pic of an old label would be really helpful...
Thanks in advance...

PS....
Talked to the nice folks at Kamaka at the NAMM show, and they don't have any old labels to photocopy either...

I'm going to enlarge the hole, install black binding for a "rosette", and add a new ring of koa or (probably) mahogany to bring it back to it's original size...
Shouldn't be too difficult of a repair, and I'll post pics when I'm done....

Of course it's up to you, but I'm not sure I would touch the sound hole. I'd fix the cracks, stabalize the hole, clean it up and play it...

Of course it's up to you, but I'm not sure I would touch the sound hole. I'd fix the cracks, stabalize the hole, clean it up and play it...

Might be hard to see in the pics, but this thing came out of the factory in an unplayable state....
The bridge is about 5/8" off-center.... :uhoh:
The nut looks like it was cut right after lunch on Friday....
So-oooo, it's got a few "issues", but nothing that's all that difficult to fix...

Last edited:
Might be hard to see in the pics, but this thing came out of the factory in an unplayable state....
The bridge is about 5/8" off-center.... :uhoh:
The nut looks like it was cut right after lunch on Friday....
So-oooo, it's got a few "issues", but nothing that's all that difficult to fix...

I've seen old Kamakas with that VERY off center bridge issue. I'm not sure what happened with them, but I played one with the off center bridge, and it played with a LOT of gusto and character. But indeed, you have to wonder how they let something like that come out of the factory.

WOW! Looks a pretty big job! Good luck getting it all together. I look forward to seeing the finished project.

Interesting to see the tops of the tuning pegs appear to be 'rounded' - most I've seen have flatter ends.

Cheers

Roberta

Top Bottom