Pickup advice?

raecarter

Reaction score
Hi i've just installed a mi-si pickup in my mainland. I would like to know is it essential to sound down the bridge a few mm? Is the only negative to not doing it a high action? Thanks

It all depends upon how you want it to sound like. if the bridge is big enough you can actually put the pickup on the bridge for a more electric sound. you can also play around with where you want it but under the bridge is probably the best place for you to put it

It's under the bridge resting on the saddle. I just read you should sand down your bridge the equivalent of the thickness of the element and wondered if this is just so the action is the same as before the pickup or to improve the function of the pickup?

Hi i've just installed a mi-si pickup in my mainland. I would like to know is it essential to sound down the bridge a few mm? Is the only negative to not doing it a high action? Thanks

You do mean "sand down the SADDLE" rather than the bridge? The bridge holds the saddle & is where you attach your strings. You might need to sand down the saddle as the Mi-Si instructions note.

Instruction manual here: http://mi-si.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/trio.manual_1.pdf

Wow yes the saddle sorry

Just wanted to make sure - once we start mucking around w/our ukes, never know where it might lead us! I've not yet installed a Mi-Si (my Mainland tenor has one preinstalled), but there are videos & walk throughs on the web. Most of them, like the manual mention sanding down the saddle, but you have to be careful, as you can easily overdo it. It will change the action w/o sanding it which is why many people take theirs to a luthier to install. I'm sure that some of the folks who have actually installed one will give their sage advice. Since you are putting it in your Mainland tenor, Mike from Mainland might well give you a tip or two.

Thanks for the reply i've completely installed it but haven't sanded the saddle. So you think the only difference will be the hight of the action as it sounds like it's working very well without the saddle adjusted?

Top Bottom