Uke Presentation for Girl Scouts

brUKEman

Reaction score
I have been asked by my granddaughters Girl Scout troop to do a little Ukulele presentation at an upcoming meeting. The girls will be between 8 & 11 years old. I was thinking of doing just a little on the uke history ( where it came from, where it got its name etc.) and possible doing a couple of songs. I have 3 different ukes I can bring to show them. Any ideas as to what I can do to enlighten & entertain both the kids and some parents. ALso some song suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds like a fun gig. Keep the history lesson short, and allow time for questions. That keeps the session interactive and saves you from a one-sided presentation.

A few song suggestions:

- a Hawaiian song, hapa-haole, because there will be interest in hearing a Hawaiian style song

- something universal, such as a traditional song that everyone knows... see if there is a birthday in the house, or coming up, and play "Happy Birthday"

- a pop song, again, something they will likely know

Yeah, bring all the ukes... there will be some interest from the group in holding the instruments if you don't mind. You might even show a couple easy chords and strums. Have fun! :)

If I was a kid, I'd want to be able to strum a song. Pass it around and strum a song.

James Hill showed the uke as a tool for "singing the strings". Basically, you can show them that the uke can be a harmonizing chorus vocal tool.

Its got wow factor for that.

James Hill also demonstrated learning his "Capital Blues" by teaching/demonstrating how easy it was. THen he showed the musical standard notation and it was amazing to have the ,"I played that????!!!!" thought because music can seem so intimidating but it really is easy.

Three ukes? Great! Get three kids to come up on stage. Give each one a uke.

Show the youngest how to play/strum a C chord. Show the next youngest how to play/strum an F chord. Show the oldest how to play/strum a G or G7 chord.

Have them keep their fingers on the frets in the position for their "designated" chord.

Then have everyone sing a simple three-chord song like "Happy Birthday". Your job is to point to the correct kid at the right time. The kids' job is to strum their chord when you point to them, and stop strumming when you stop pointing to them.

Hilarity and good times ensue. :)

JJ

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a couple of Makala Dolphins I can bring for the girls to play.
I'll probably do a couple of songs like "hey soul sister" & "on top of spaghetti" for a sing-along.
Any other suggestions.........Thanks

Aloha Brukeman,
The Late John King website has alot of information and add some campfire ukulele songs would be sooo cool!! Let us
know how it turns out!! Have Fun and Enjoy the sweet sounds of the ukulele..."Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan..

Top Bottom