hello... my yew tenor.

cursley ukulele's

Reaction score
a quick hello from sunny bournemouth in the uk and hopefully (i dont know how to load pics up yet) a pic of my finished ukulele, its a yew tenor.. its got strung up and given to its new owner today..

i was told about this site a while back but never got round to coming on here... and this section is awesome... ive been reading for 2 days straight, i wish i had before building the tenor, im in awe of the stuff on here... i just watched a dude make 16 necks on a slideshow... found out pete howletts moved and tons of other stuff... right im back off to read more...

darryl.

7lHNC

thanks folks :) and yep that one sold to my good friend who runs a uke shop in bournemouth, the story goes... i was in the uke shop one day and a guy came in who had been on a pete howlett build, and he had a nice cherry uke, my friend asked if he'd make him one.. coincidently i have another friend who is an amazing luthier, who has been nagging me for ages to go and make an instrument, so the thought of delivering my friends dream uke to him got me motivated... so... 7 weeks later here it is... im really pleased with it and although i am a carpenter i work more in big stuff, traditional hand cut roofing is my main trade although i own a small fire door business (fire doors for work benches are awesome btw) ive never worked with any other woods than tanalised fast grown pine... i also just moved and got a workshop so all the planets must have aligned correctly..
im building a walnut soprano atm so will keep you posted...

again.. so glad ive found this forum :)

darryl..

Nice Yew-kulele. ;) Do you do pineapples? :D

Wow, my next dream ukulele - slotted headstock, cutaway, beautifully patterned wood. Really nice. I don't build but I love reading about it and have learned so much and greatly appreciate the skills of those that do and write about it on this forum. Thanks for sharing.

Well done Darryl - you didn't really need that headplate veneer did you? Lovely front to the uke - one thing you have to accept with yew is the sap, the meandering grain direction and the knots so glad to see you weren't distracted looking for that perfect piece...That is some dusty old workshop you have - reminds me of my Dad's old shed! And if you look closely at my new workshop video you will see firedoors hung (not a joiner so the first time I have done triple hinges - one went great the other was a 'challenge' ) and also as benchtops - perfectly flat, heavy and since they are 100% chipboard, stable. None of your poncey Sjobergs for me :)

Great job, love the patterns on that top. Groovy.

Last edited:
hi folks, thank you all so much for your replies, after reading more of this forum in even further in awe... thanks spruce for putting the pic up mate, im still cant work it out :mad:

ahnko, im gonna build a pineapple, ive got a soprano then a cherry tenor but then im gonna give one a go, a guy was waxing lyrical about them the other day, telling me they were 'real' ukes, im new to the uke scene so i wasnt sure,

hi pete :) no mate, in the end i didnt.. and i think you inadvertantly did me a masive favor, from making that veneer i got loads of different ideas for stuff and several failed attempts provided me with plenty of practice.. btw the workshop looks awesome... i saw the doors pete, dont give up the day job yet eh mate? ;)

lexxy, i am selling them but, im finding it a bit stressful building them to order tbh.. im gonna get a few stress free builds under my belt and then release them, if that makes sense?

and ty vic, all your comments are really well recieved, for the last 8 weeks ive been in my workshop thinking i was alone in the world of making uke apart from the factory builders... how wrong could i have been??

thanks again.. darryl..

I love the actual building... But I think I tried to come out the starting blocks a little early, making Pauls tenor and Ians walnut soprano has been amazing, but I'm giving paul his and thinking... I want one!! So that's what I'm gonna do.. Make myself A cherry tenor, so watch this space.. I think when I get my confidence up I'll be fine.. And buy some tools... Definitely buy some tools... ;)

Top Bottom