Achievements

rjamesak

Reaction score
This idea was sparked from video games. It seems like it is now standard practice for video games to have "achievements". Achievements are basically a bunch of different objectives/accomplishments/goals/challenges to complete at a point throughout the game. Check out this link for more detailed info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achievement_(video_gaming)
Anyway, the point of all this is: there should be Ukulele achievements. But the rewards need to be actually rewarding. There could be a point system, with ranks and insignia. Your achievements could be uploaded to YouTube. You could post your points in your signature or next to your name. The achievements could range from playing scales to mastering songs. More points for more difficult achievements. Or... something completely different to better account for the more "analog" nature of the uke.
Just an idea at this point, but one that I think would be fun to implement. The question is: What's the best way to do it?
How to keep track of achievements?
What will the rewards be?
Any ideas???

I really have no helpful ideas to offer, but I like the concept....

Radical Idea and I really wish i could help but I don't know much about the internet and stuff like that as much as other people who would love to help you. PEACE

Radical Idea and I really wish i could help but I don't know much about the internet and stuff like that as much as other people who would love to help you. PEACE

But would you participate? Getting people to participate is the biggest thing. The more people onboard, the more fun it will be.

Cool idea!

Interestingly enough, I work for a company that creates software (amongst other things) - more specifically piano learning software for schools. We are in the midst of a huge software overhaul of our main program and have decided to use awards just as you describe: when a student achieves a certain goal (ie: playing a song and getting a perfect score from the computer) the receive a trophy (there are different trophies depending on achievement level). Many trophies can be earned and these unlock special privileges.

I don't think that using software to recognize achievement for ukulele players is that practical - it would cost a lot of money and time to create and lots of on-going work to keep it current and updated. Having dealt with creating software to analyze and assess midi-keyboard input, I can assure you that it would be exceedingly difficult to have software that could 'listen-to' and evaluate ukulele playing. There are too many variables to take into account (different instruments, mics, tunings, etc).
I suppose someone could start up a service to assess recording that were sent in and then give awards based on the recordings. A social network and award site would have to be set up around this to allow people to see each other awards and to get a community going. Also expensive and difficult.
Perhaps something like this could grow out of the Ukulele Underground University.

Also, there is the argument that learning the skills is reward enough, and no external motivation should be required to keep you playing and learning.

I am of the mind that accolades should come from trusted, fellow players; oneself; or one's family and friends.

Your best trophies can be found by looking at the smiles on your and your fellow faces as you play!

Jamie

Cigar Box Uke (Kit-built)
Mahalo Sunburst 'Les Paul'
Ohana Sopranino
Kala Acacia Tenor (for sale!)
BlueGrassUkes Cedar/Walnut Tenor

This idea was sparked from video games. It seems like it is now standard practice for video games to have "achievements". Achievements are basically a bunch of different objectives/accomplishments/goals/challenges to complete at a point throughout the game. Check out this link for more detailed info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achievement_(video_gaming)
Anyway, the point of all this is: there should be Ukulele achievements. But the rewards need to be actually rewarding. There could be a point system, with ranks and insignia. Your achievements could be uploaded to YouTube. You could post your points in your signature or next to your name. The achievements could range from playing scales to mastering songs. More points for more difficult achievements. Or... something completely different to better account for the more "analog" nature of the uke.
Just an idea at this point, but one that I think would be fun to implement. The question is: What's the best way to do it?
How to keep track of achievements?
What will the rewards be?
Any ideas???

How many smiles do you put on someones face? That is the only achievment I am interseted in. I like this concept but scales and difficult songs doi not interest me. I play to play. I play b/c i love music.

How many smiles do you put on someones face? That is the only achievment I am interseted in. I like this concept but scales and difficult songs doi not interest me. I play to play. I play b/c i love music.

The challenges do not have to be specific to only those things that are difficult. They don't even have to be directly related to "playing" the uke. Some of the achievements could be uploading a video to youtube; posting to a forum; jamming with a friend; starting a club or meetup group; playing an open mic; recording a song; writing a song; buying a new uke; gifting a uke; and many, many more.
The music is inherently rewarding, I agree. But we've all been stuck in a rut, I've seen plenty of posts about it in the forums since I joined in July. The way I see it, every little bit helps. And this could be a fun supplement to one's ukulele repertoire.

I thought we already had a method of recording acheivments, the posts tally. Which to my mind signifies the acheivment of contributing to the aloha spirit of UU. I think any other form of grading may prove to be indiscriminate and debilitating to a member's readiness to offer suggestions and support to other UU members. A method of gauging people's opinions might best be ascertained with the use of a poll.

Cheers, Tony

Video games are about whether or not mario beats the bad guy at the end. Playing music is about how it makes you, and the people around you feel. You can't compare the two. One is rote button pushing, one is real. If I were new to the uke, and thinking about playing, and I saw a points system, I would choose another instrument. As it were, if this system wound up being implemented, I would probably take my uke playing off the internet, and into the real world, where I know it would be judged for the right reasons! And anyway, it sounds a little too much like ukulele Girl Scouts to me. Nothing against Girl Scouts. I was always sad my mother didn't let me join.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go with Tina and Johhny boy on this one. I play a lot of video games myself and really see no point in those achievements. It's just something to do to make it seem like you are doing something that "matters" where when you get that 10th prestige on Call of Duty it really only means you need to go and take a walk outside once in awhile. I play music cause I want to. I'm way above anything I thought I'd be at and am no where even slightly close of what I hope to become. But if I don't, it's still okay because I play to play, everything else is extra, the uke changed my life. Period.

Nothing against Girl Scouts. I was always sad my mother didn't let me join.

Yeah, me too. But, I got to join G.I.G.A.P.U.S a couple months ago, so that helps.

Anyway, I'm with the "just play for the playing" folks. All this other stuff is like doing math, and I haven't looked at a video game since "Space Invaders".

The challenges do not have to be specific to only those things that are difficult. They don't even have to be directly related to "playing" the uke. Some of the achievements could be uploading a video to youtube; posting to a forum; jamming with a friend; starting a club or meetup group; playing an open mic; recording a song; writing a song; buying a new uke; gifting a uke; and many, many more.
The music is inherently rewarding, I agree. But we've all been stuck in a rut, I've seen plenty of posts about it in the forums since I joined in July. The way I see it, every little bit helps. And this could be a fun supplement to one's ukulele repertoire.

I got ya. Makes sense. Go for it. Make it happen. It would be neat but I know that many folks that gift ukes like to keep it private. You know, deflect the attention away from themselves and kinda keep it unanimous (just an example). But like video games the achivement levels might make me interested but then I think I'd stop just b/c. I'm not going to lie. There are times I don't even pickup a uke to play but once a month and then there are times that I have one in my hands 10 hours a day. Video games same way. Achievements don't motivate me. I go with the flow. heck, there have been times I've had a controller and a uke in my hands at same time. Achivements aren't for me. But I think the idea is neat.

Last edited:
Inherent in these kinds of achievement systems is that people are competitive and like to compare themselves with each other. While this is good in many ways, I don't think that we need to be competing with each other; instead we should help one another.

That said, I think that achievements could be a very useful thing for someone who starts off playing as stepping stones to playing. Each achievement is a sort of mini goal that you would slowly work towards and some sort of affirmation, even an artificial one, is encouragement to keep you going.

I see it as a training tool, with rewards. It's basically a bunch of short or long term goals. There is no difference between these "achievements" and any other goal a musician would set for himself/herself. Do you not also compete in contests? Do you buy books with uke instruction? I can appreciate the "play because I love to play" or "play because I love music", but sometimes that's just not enough motivation to get you to pick it up on any given day.
The idea is in its infancy, I was hoping for more brainstorming on ways it could be fun and accessible for everyone. Definitely would not want to create an intimidating environment.

I see it as a training tool, with rewards. It's basically a bunch of short or long term goals. There is no difference between these "achievements" and any other goal a musician would set for himself/herself. Do you not also compete in contests? Do you buy books with uke instruction? I can appreciate the "play because I love to play" or "play because I love music", but sometimes that's just not enough motivation to get you to pick it up on any given day.
The idea is in its infancy, I was hoping for more brainstorming on ways it could be fun and accessible for everyone. Definitely would not want to create an intimidating environment.

It wouldn't take it as an intimidating environment b/c i just wouldn't do it. If i don't feel like playing...I don't play. Books? I've bought and opened once or twice but then they sit closed on a shelf or in the trash. There is no structure to my uking. I simply play when i want. Goals? sometimes. Are they always finished? Nope. If it feels like work to me...i stop. Gaming is different. I play a game as long as I am having fun with it. Once it loses its fun factor, it gets put into a case until it calls my name again.

i still think it is a neat idea for those that are interested in it. I might even try to do some of them (unless tehy become like work:))

I don't know. It seems that in this world EVERYTHING and just about EVERYBODY is judged and awarded something based on performance! Can't we get a break? Just wanna play and be happy for a while. The uke puts people in a happy state of mind without worrying about getting bonus points or something. If you are looking to help get out of a rut, try a different approach in playing, join a group, perform on an open mic night, go to UWC, etc.

I don't know. It seems that in this world EVERYTHING and just about EVERYBODY is judged and awarded something based on performance! Can't we get a break? Just wanna play and be happy for a while. The uke puts people in a happy state of mind without worrying about getting bonus points or something. If you are looking to help get out of a rut, try a different approach in playing, join a group, perform on an open mic night, go to UWC, etc.

Very well said.

I am in the "play because you enjoy it" camp. Good luck and enjoy your ukes.

But when I think rewards, I think that feeling that you get when you play something awesome with a friend or finally mastering something you've been having problems with. This sounds a bit too much like getting a girl scout badge just for showing up to the meeting. I think you should master a hard song because you want to master a hard song, not because somebody's going to give you a gold star for it. If collecting points is your thing and your motivation for playing, then by all means, go for it, everyone's got their own way of learning. But I definitely don't think it should be implemented across the wider community, at least, not against people's wills.

Top Bottom