This old fallen tree did not go to waste!

Mahalo for posting the video Ahnko! What a thrill to own one of those ukuleles made from that tree. That is what you shoud do with that Koa wood you have!!! This is a sign!!!

Aloha

I saw that tree when I was over there at Bart's....

Maybe the video does, but the article doesn't mention that the tree is Cuban mahogany, which makes it a lot rarer...

And, it had some nice fiddleback running through it...

Apparently there's a lot of Cuban Mahogany growing around the streets of Honolulu, planted all those years ago...

That is too cool.. If you hadn't watched the video on the link yet, do so.. I would really love to have one of the Ukes made from that tree..

Just watched the video....
Yep, one little mention that it's Cuban...

I think this is the tree...
Lots 'o ukes in there... ;)

P1060865.jpg

That's really cool. Did anyone else notice the school name, though? Bishop Estate Kamehameha Schools. Kamehameha? Isn't that the catch phrase from that Dragonball show?

Cool story, I caught it this morning on KITV's website. Kamehameha is the name of the first king and royal family of Hawai'i.

Great post- nice read...happy they cloned the tree.
Even better new avatar- oh how I love fishing...if only I had a waterproof Uke for my kayak

Cool Story! Glad it didn't go to waste and glad that they've cloned the tree so it doesn't die out!

I always love hearing stories like this.

Supposedly, the last American Chestnut went down a few years ago. The original arborist didn't know what he had and a passing wood worker saw the tree coming down, stopped, and talked with the tree cutters. After explaining the monetary value with the land owner, they had a sawyer with a portable mill come out and harvest the remaining wood (they had cut about a third of it down already). The wood went for something like $30 a board foot (which is a huge sum of money for wood).

~DB

Not being on the island myself, if anyone can get information on how to obtain a slab of this tree's cuban mahogany please PM me, would love to get a set for top/back/sides as it would surely make an awesome custom from the luthier of choice some day. Much appreciation,

Dave

Last edited:
Wow really cool wood. Wouldn't we all love to have a uke from that. I had the opportunity to teach at Bishop Estate Kamehameha Schools back in the late 60's, and it was between that school and one in Grand Junction CO and I chose Colorado, and wondered many many times if I made the right choice. If I had gone there, who knows what stage I would be on now playing my uke had I started the uke way back then :) :) Just Dreamin Lozark

A good ukulele friend of mine, Mike McClellan, spent much of his youth in Hawaii. He treasures a ukulele made by David Gomes from a tree that David and Mike grew up walking past every day. When it finally gave up and fell down, Mike got a fine instrument and a great story.

Wow really cool wood. Wouldn't we all love to have a uke from that. I had the opportunity to teach at Bishop Estate Kamehameha Schools back in the late 60's, and it was between that school and one in Grand Junction CO and I chose Colorado, and wondered many many times if I made the right choice. If I had gone there, who knows what stage I would be on now playing my uke had I started the uke way back then :) :) Just Dreamin Lozark

What school did you teach at in Grand Junction? I live near there, but didn't move here til '94. So I was just curious.

Neat story, and glad they got something nice out of the wood.

Top Bottom