re: martin uke info

daboss

Reaction score
re: martin uke info

Aloha Folks-

Just curious about this whole history dating thing for Martins; in my family there is a very old ukulele that has a stamp on the inside that says "CF Martin & Co. New York." There is no imprint on the back of the peg board or decals. We have always considered it a Martin. It looks like the rest of the sopranos in the family. But when we try to get info about it, it is a little difficult because most sites say the first ukes were 1916 and would have a stamp out of PA instead of NY. So, again, just curious about this and who might be able to help out our family with its history.

Mahalo

I have learned in my short time here that Mike DaSilva is a Martin ace- might try him.
I too have an old Martin and they are indeed hard to date- pictures would be great. In any event, now that I have mine coming alive for the first time in 25 years... congratulations on having it around- it is true what they say about them.

I'm by no means an expert, but I would love to see pictures of this uke. I just did a quick google search and it seems that the "CF Martin & Co, New York" label was used from 1867 to 1898. I have read that Martin made a very few ukuleles prior to 1916, but that they were not well-recieved, as the bracing was too heavy. I don't know WHEN exactly they made these. I would REALLY like to see photos! It could be that you have one of the very earliest Martin ukes. You're POSITIVE it is a uke, and not a tenor guitar? What are the measurements? More info please!

Aloha TCK & Chris-

Thank you very much for your replies. I will try to get some photos up. The ukulele measures a little over 21 inches. It looks just like other family member's soprano Martin ukulele in terms of the shape and how the bridge and fret board mate with the body. So, when I saw the CF Martin & Co New York stamp on the inside through the sound hole it was really amazing. The "CF Martin & Co" is shaped like an arch and the word "New York" is underneath it in basically a straight line. Thanks again for all your help.

Mahalo

I'm by no means an expert, but I would love to see pictures of this uke. I just did a quick google search and it seems that the "CF Martin & Co, New York" label was used from 1867 to 1898. I have read that Martin made a very few ukuleles prior to 1916, but that they were not well-recieved, as the bracing was too heavy. I don't know WHEN exactly they made these. I would REALLY like to see photos! It could be that you have one of the very earliest Martin ukes. You're POSITIVE it is a uke, and not a tenor guitar? What are the measurements? More info please!

Howzit Da Boss,
Sounds like an Soprano so far and it also sounds like an real earlier model if it says New york instead of Nazarath PA. on the
inside stamp under it's name. It is before 1930 because it has no decal and they started to build ukuleles I think in 1915.
....any more details..Take some pic's of the headstock and the tuners...would help
BTW-Ive even seen a 1916 ukulele with the nazarath stamp, your must be before then..

Last edited:
I know they made SOME ukuleles before the start of the uke craze in 1915, but I can't remember when or for how long. I think they experimented with them for a while and then discontinued them, then started again in '15 or '16. I want to say it was around 1907, but even that would be too late for a New York label, unless there's something I don't know (which there most CERTAINLY is!).

Yup Chris,
They only stayed in New York for 6 years between 1833-1839
Im not sure when they discontinued using the NY logo stamp,
as I said before a 1915 model already had the Nazarath stamp.
I don't remember seeing or hearing any ukes by them before the teens..

From reading the discussion it sounds like you have a rare beauty there! A real vintage! How does she sound?

Aloha Folks-
I will try to get some photos of it. If I remember correctly I think the tuners were replaced by later ones that also look like Martin's. One of the family members years ago strung it up with newer strings and from what I know, it still sounds sweet. Like Grandma's later vintage Martin's.
Mahalo

From reading the discussion it sounds like you have a rare beauty there! A real vintage! How does she sound?

Martin sold "six Hawaiian Ukeleles made to sample as a trial lot" to Bergstrom Music Co. of Honolulu in December 1907, but because no company correspondence from that period survives it's impossible to know why Martin made the six ukes for Bergstrom or why the firm apparently never followed up. Martin didn't go into production with 'ukuleles until 1915; the first two were sold to a customer in Trenton, N.J. in October of that year.

Taken from the Mike Longworth History of the Martin Guitar Company:

"The Martin brand originally read "C.F. Martin, New York" from the 1830s until 1867. When C.F. Martin, Jr. and C.F. Hartman became partners, the brand on the inside of the back was changed to read "C.F. Martin & Co., New York". Only this stamp in the back can be used as a key to dating because the earlier version was often retained in the other two positions. In 1898 the stamped brand was changed to "C.F. Martin and Co., Nazareth, Pa."

With that information, the instrument under discussion would have been made prior to 1898. However, the book goes on to state that 1907 was the first time that F.H. Martin experimented with ukuleles. These were built much like a guitar with too much bracing and with spruce tops and were not well received.

There appears to be a conundrum here that I cannot address without pictures of the instrument.

I hope this information is helpful.

Aloha Folks-

Well, I was able to get some photos of the Martin soprano. I hope these can confirm it is a Martin and an ukulele for our family.

Mahalo

2745085950106368361CsOxMT_th.jpg

2326187360106368361WVtQuD_th.jpg

2961302120106368361atoTRe_th.jpg

PS: Sorry. the photos seem small but I hope you can make something out with them. The stamp on the inside does say "CF Martin & Co. New York"

Taken from the Mike Longworth History of the Martin Guitar Company:

"The Martin brand originally read "C.F. Martin, New York" from the 1830s until 1867. When C.F. Martin, Jr. and C.F. Hartman became partners, the brand on the inside of the back was changed to read "C.F. Martin & Co., New York". Only this stamp in the back can be used as a key to dating because the earlier version was often retained in the other two positions. In 1898 the stamped brand was changed to "C.F. Martin and Co., Nazareth, Pa."

With that information, the instrument under discussion would have been made prior to 1898. However, the book goes on to state that 1907 was the first time that F.H. Martin experimented with ukuleles. These were built much like a guitar with too much bracing and with spruce tops and were not well received.

There appears to be a conundrum here that I cannot address without pictures of the instrument.

I hope this information is helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures, I've never seen a sunburst finish on any martin before or is it the lighting??/
Wonder if it was originally a employee's personal made ukulele???Do you have any close up photo of the
headstock front and back and the tuners??? and aclose up of the body and stamp....Stan..

Aloha Stan-
I am not sure if it is a sunburst finish or just a patina from its age and use? Not sure what was used way back in the day to protect the wood or how Martin would have finished these earlier instruments? The tuners I think are not the original ones but were replaced with Martin ones from say the 1940's or 1950's. Will try to get some more photos. I think I was able to get the one with the CF Martin & Co. New York posted with a larger image for your viewing. So hopefully I can get some others too.
Mahalo

2745085950106368361S425x425Q85.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Thanks for the pictures, I've never seen a sunburst finish on any martin before or is it the lighting??/
Wonder if it was originally a employee's personal made ukulele???Do you have any close up photo of the
headstock front and back and the tuners??? and aclose up of the body and stamp....Stan..

Last edited:
Aloha Stan-
I am not sure if it is a sunburst finish or just a patina from its age and use? Not sure what was used way back in the day to protect the wood or how Martin would have finished these earlier instruments? The tuners I think are not the original ones but were replaced with Martin ones from say the 1940's or 1950's. Will try to get some more photos. I think I was able to get the one with the CF Martin & Co. New York posted with a larger image for your viewing. So hopefully I can get some others too.
Mahalo

2745085950106368361S425x425Q85.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Aloha Da Boss,
First time seeing a stamp on the neck block......WoW and I've seen alot of Martins too...this well be the holy grail of uke for you...it sure looks really rare and may well be one of a few
to exsist today...You one lucky buggah!!! Now look like we talking really big bucks...far rarer than a 5K MM Stan...
like sell?? Nah keep um in the family heirloom.....for the generations ahead to enjoy!!!
I'd try and contact the Martin museum....

Last edited:
Very interesting indeed.....I also would like to see bigger pictures. Perhaps if you can upload them to photobucket and than post them again?

I remember reading that the original six Martin ukulele's from 1907 were made with Spruce tops, much like a guitar. This looks Mahogany to me, but I am FAR from an expert! At first glance, the uke doesn't look turn of the century, but who knows what Martin built......for your sake Boss, I hope it is one of those early Martin uke's!

Please contact Tom Walsh at www.ukulele.org who has EXTENSIVE knowledge and experience with Martin ukulele's and can give you much more information and insight about this uke. Then, you have to let us know what he has to say! You can send info. and pictures through that website. I have been in touch with him recently and he is very generous with his time and expertise!

Can we get some better pictures of the headstock, fingerboard, bridge, and soundhole, inside and out? The headstock shape of this instrument does not appear to be that of a Martin. The instrument appears to have a bound soundhole which doesn't meet Martin specifications. What is that above the stamp inside on the neck block? Is the stamp an ink stamp or is it stamped into the wood? What type of fingerboard markers does it have?

Aloha Stan & Ryan-

Yes, our family thought this was always a cool piece. I have played it and enjoyed the sound. I always thought it was just another Martin but an older one. I do not see any type of binding on it at all.

Here are a few more photos I received:

2445408570106368361S425x425Q85.jpg
[/URL][/img]

2490925820106368361S425x425Q85.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Thank you for all your help. I will try to contact that other gentleman and also try to get some more photos.
Mahalo

Very interesting indeed.....I also would like to see bigger pictures. Perhaps if you can upload them to photobucket and than post them again?

I remember reading that the original six Martin ukulele's from 1907 were made with Spruce tops, much like a guitar. This looks Mahogany to me, but I am FAR from an expert! At first glance, the uke doesn't look turn of the century, but who knows what Martin built......for your sake Boss, I hope it is one of those early Martin uke's!

Please contact Tom Walsh at www.ukulele.org who has EXTENSIVE knowledge and experience with Martin ukulele's and can give you much more information and insight about this uke. Then, you have to let us know what he has to say! You can send info. and pictures through that website. I have been in touch with him recently and he is very generous with his time and expertise!

As I look at and consider this uke more, for some reason I keep thinking that it is a more modern uke 1950's or 1960's. How long has your family had it? The shape of the body looks more like a Regal and the shape of the headstock doesn't point to Martin for me. However, the kerfed lining is similar to my Martin. Also, those position markers are pretty big, quite unlike what Martin used.
The CF Martin and Co. New York stamp looks a little different from the ones that I searched for on the web.....also, it looks a little sloppily, which Martin is not known for. No matter what, you like to play it and that is what matters most to me! I'll be interested to hear any more you find out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom