PDA

View Full Version : Aloha spirit of uu!

joeybug
09-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Aloha everyone,

I just wanted to post to thank everyone for showing me the Aloha spirit of UU and the fun that comes from playing the Uke!

I've been blessed with friends and advice from all of you and it's definitely a forum that I'm glad to be a part of, it's probably the ONLY forum I've been a part of where everyone is so nice, understanding and accepting of everyone else.

Spread the Aloha spirit!

Joey

P.S I've thought of a song to go with UU, don't know how to play it on the Ukulele, but it's to the tune of Friar Jacques and goes:

"Ukulele
Ukulele
How are you?
How are you?
Ukulele Underground
Ukulele Underground
Strum, strum, strum
Strum, strum, strum"

I know it's silly, but I make up words to existing songs all the time with Miss D and sometimes just because I want to sing!

bobj
09-30-2010, 12:21 AM
I agree. There are a lot of cool people on here.
And a lot of amazing ukulele players too.

It's a good place to spend a few minutes each day.

joeybug
09-30-2010, 12:23 AM
I agree. There are a lot of cool people on here.
And a lot of amazing ukulele players too.

I find myself here for several HOURS everyday! LOL

How's the practise going for the competition?

bobj
09-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Slowly. But that's ok. I have pretty limited time and energy.... to go with my limited skill and experience.

It's still totally enjoyable.

Hows your practice going? I know your gonna nail it.

joeybug
09-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Slowly. But that's ok. I have pretty limited time and energy.... to go with my limited skill and experience.

It's still totally enjoyable.

Hows your practice going? I know your gonna nail it.

I can do the first two verses, just gotta work on my strumming technique, my hand likes to go just down instead of down and up...I'm sure you'll do fine, it's fun having the deadline and branching out, have you tried the boot camp technique yet? Or any of the classes? I could send them to you if you want to give them a go, they've helped me SO very much!

joeybug
09-30-2010, 01:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPdsSKiUmQw

This is the song I was talking about, it's not perfect because I rushed through it!

GreatGazukes
09-30-2010, 01:52 AM
Well Joey, youre finger picking better than I am....congrats on your first uke-tube

mm stan
09-30-2010, 02:26 AM
Aloha Joey,
I think you're sooo cool too and enjoy you just as well and contributing to the forums as well. Thanks for sharing the song and vids as well.
I hope you're having a Gday today...Have Fun and enjoy!! "keep strumming them strings" MM Stan..

joeybug
09-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Well Joey, youre finger picking better than I am....congrats on your first uke-tube

"Uke-tube"? Does that mean Uke video? If so, Amazing Grace was my first, this is just my first finger picking song :D

fitncrafty
09-30-2010, 03:01 AM
I can finger pick OK.. it's my strumming that stinks!! Lesson next week! yeah!

molokinirum
09-30-2010, 03:28 AM
Sometimes the UU site is as addicting as the uke itself!!!

joeybug
09-30-2010, 03:40 AM
I can finger pick OK.. it's my strumming that stinks!! Lesson next week! yeah!

:agree: with this totally. I'm trying to get the down/up strum done, but alas, I suck!

joeybug
09-30-2010, 03:41 AM

That is very true..my "practise" time is split between actually practising and reading the UU site!

BadLands Bart
09-30-2010, 05:58 AM
That is very true..my "practise" time is split between actually practising and reading the UU site!

Heck...I play my uke WHILE being on the UU!!!

sukie
09-30-2010, 06:03 AM

I find myself here for several HOURS everyday! LOL

SFPPOD!!!

(Sukie's favourite pair of posts of the day!)

joeybug
09-30-2010, 06:05 AM
Heck...I play my uke WHILE being on the UU!!!

I do that too! I switch between practise and reading posts!

joeybug
09-30-2010, 06:06 AM
SFPPOD!!!

(Sukie's favourite pair of posts of the day!)

I did wonder what that meant!

:D

sukie
09-30-2010, 06:25 AM
I'm on UU way more than is healthy. But, in my defense, I've learned a lot here and made some wonderful friends.

mm stan
09-30-2010, 06:39 AM
I have my trusty Rogue Soprano next to my computer just in case I have the urge to play...

joeybug
09-30-2010, 06:40 AM
I'm on UU way more than is healthy. But, in my defense, I've learned a lot here and made some wonderful friends.

I totally agree with the wonderful friends part! In my short time here, I've made some very good friends and learnt a whole heap about the Ukulele that I didn't know! I've even nearly mastered THREE whole songs, which for me is like a freaking miracle!!

:D

joeybug
09-30-2010, 06:42 AM
I have my trusty Rogue Soprano next to my computer just in case I have the urge to play...

I'd love to hear you play stan!

UkeNukem
09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
You are sooo right about the love here at UU! My old computer even runs better while on this forum! :D

armytrucker77
09-30-2010, 04:15 PM
yeah i spend loads of time here and on my uke....disabled veteran=more time to uke and read the forums

joeybug
09-30-2010, 11:19 PM
yeah i spend loads of time here and on my uke....disabled veteran=more time to uke and read the forums

You should join the group I made for Disabled Ukers! It's http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=141 if you're interested!

I'm also disabled and although I'm at uni (second year!) I spend my time between uni work (just finished my first essay!!) and here, I find I have to bribe myself in that if I do an hour or two of uni, I can have the rest of the time to play my Uke and sit on these boards, that way I get both done!

Now, I have to go tune my Uke and tomorrow I can (hopefully) pay for my new Ohana!!

joeybug
09-30-2010, 11:20 PM
You are sooo right about the love here at UU! My old computer even runs better while on this forum! :D

See, the Aloha spirit has spread to your computer chips, now that's a virus we'd all like!

ADD
09-30-2010, 11:26 PM

UUF - Ukulele Underground Fever is as much fun as UAS but not nearly as costly.

joeybug
09-30-2010, 11:30 PM
UUF - Ukulele Underground Fever is as much fun as UAS but not nearly as costly.

:agree: totally!

mm stan
09-30-2010, 11:39 PM
I'd love to hear you play stan!

Aloha Joey,
Sorry, No camera and computer capabilities doing it as of yet...
MM Stan..

Hippie Dribble
09-30-2010, 11:41 PM
It's a great site joey, choc-full of sharing, caring people. I completely agree with you...and I love your new song about the UU.

Great to see you embrace the community mate...and we embrace you back!!! :)

joeybug
09-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Aloha Joey,
Sorry, No camera and computer capabilities doing it as of yet...
MM Stan..

One day.....

joeybug
09-30-2010, 11:49 PM
It's a great site joey, choc-full of sharing, caring people. I completely agree with you...and I love your new song about the UU.

Great to see you embrace the community mate...and we embrace you back!!! :)

Thanks, I just like changing the words to songs, I could never write an actually tune and words, but I'm good at fitting words into existing tunes!

I have to say this is the first community I've been a part of where there is so little negativity, if there is any at all!

Chris Tarman
10-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks, I just like changing the words to songs, I could never write an actually tune and words, but I'm good at fitting words into existing tunes!

My wife does that same thing. Sometimes they are really BAD, but usually she does an amazing job of it. They're usually about or for our dogs, and often she uses hymn tunes.

fitncrafty
10-02-2010, 12:15 PM
My wife does that same thing. Sometimes they are really BAD, but usually she does an amazing job of it. They're usually about or for our dogs, and often she uses hymn tunes.

Joey and Chris, This makes me chuckle! I LOVE to change the words to songs, In the matter of fact, I have been re writing the words to Adam Sandlers "I wanna Grow old with you" for our anniversary on the 15th! I heard a little rumor/bribery that there may be a new uke coming my way... OHH excitement!

joeybug
10-02-2010, 12:24 PM

I do the same about our four cats...sometimes I just sing words ina tune to ask questions...glad I'm not the only person who does that!

joeybug
10-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Joey and Chris, This makes me chuckle! I LOVE to change the words to songs, In the matter of fact, I have been re writing the words to Adam Sandlers "I wanna Grow old with you" for our anniversary on the 15th! I heard a little rumor/bribery that there may be a new uke coming my way... OHH excitement!

Ooo...sounds interesting! Do you know through the rumour/bribery what kind of new uke? And what words are you using? I've not heard the "I wanna grow old with you" unless he sang it in 50 first dates in which case I have, I just can't remember! Stan recommended a great song to me today - Molokai Slide and I wanna learn it and play it for him to say thanks for helping me out around the site, but I think it'll be a long while to get there...I need to work out the strumming pattern for that and the four or five songs in my practising sessions...I can just about (very slowly) to down/up, but I think that song is a down/up/down/up/ and so on faster than I'm managing, still it will take time.

Do you know the stumming patterns for these songs:

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
Molokai Slide - if it's not down/up
Somewhere Over the Rainbow - as sung by the Hawaian man...(sorry can't spell his name)
Something - The Beatles
Yesterday - The Beatles..

Thanks!

fitncrafty
10-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Joey... It's from the movie The Wedding Singer. I love that movie. There is quite a few ukulele covers on you tube.. It has a few tough chords... Bb and Cm# ARGH! Not a fan of Barre chords they are hard.. Oh and E where you have to barre the top three strings and not string one.. ARGH! It's so twangy.. and buzzes on me..

Anyhow, I hope all is well. sounds like your practice is going GREAT! Yeah.. Can't wait to hear bout your new Uke(s)

mds725
10-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Here's the scene from The Wedding Singer with "Grow Old With You." Sweet movie. Just check out Drew Barrymore's reaction when she hears Adam Sandler singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CYI5bKZMes

And here's an ukulele tutorial I found on YouTube, although I don't know how good it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz4g_2LeWgY

mds725
10-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Do you know the stumming patterns for these songs:

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
Molokai Slide - if it's not down/up
Somewhere Over the Rainbow - as sung by the Hawaian man...(sorry can't spell his name)
Something - The Beatles
Yesterday - The Beatles

This might help:

Somewhere Over The Rainbow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MQcfsaJiG8&NR=1

Ukulele Mike (aka MusicTeacher 2010) has several tutorial channels on YouTube, including this Beatles channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeatlesUkuleleMike

YouTube is a great resource. Search for the name of the song you want to learn along with the words "ukulele" and "tutorial," and something should come up. Be sure to post a video after you've learned the songs. :)

molokinirum
10-02-2010, 02:41 PM
If you are looking for strumming help, best to look at the tips thread or even try the song help thread!

joeybug
10-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the vids, I've found one for each song and managed to get the strumming pattern down, just gotta learn it whilst learning the songs!

mm stan
10-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Aloha Joey,
When I was just starting out writing, I used to do the same, it's a good way to get into song writing...
In hope you're have a wonderful weekend.....Take Care and God Bless!!! MM Stan..
Wouldn't mind hearing some of your stuff...Please

joeybug
10-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Wouldn't mind hearing some of your stuff...Please

Songs I've written? They're mostly silly little things about kitties to the tune of old songs that I am not experienced enough to play! I could never write music AND words, I wouldn't know where to begin! My musical background is Oboe playing and a bit of Viola (which I've since forgotten) I don't know enough about music to even start writing actual music!

If you mean stuff I've since learnt on my Uke, I was going to try and wait till I've got the strumming patterns better and maybe have my Ohana so I can make them sound even better - no offence to poor Astrid!

I might do one tomorrow after doing a bit of uni work since that comes first no matter how much I wish I could play Uke all day, I do have to be a student of books first!

We'll see! I'm trying to perfect Molokai Slide for you Stan, as a thank you for all the help you've given me since I joined UU :D