Favorite Ukulele and why?

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of only one uke thus far Greg Bennet Uk50 (I think).... Nothing special and I am really looking forward to an upgrade.

So I hear so many speak of all your uke's so I am curious, which is your favorite ukulele and why? In all your collections and ukes what makes you take it out and play it the most?
Curious? Maybe it will help me in the direction I will go...

Thanks and I am looking forward to all your responses!

Thats like askin me my favorite Ice Cream!!!!:drool:

But to choose only 1 it has to be my KoAloha Soprano, 1st cuz its a Soprano 2nd it's a KoAloha.
She plays like butter and sounds like angels singing!!!!

Well, I only own one but have played many - and I just like having one near, so my favorite is the closest one!

My old Kamaka Pineapple....

P1070485.jpg

Because it reeks of Hawaii....

Last edited:
Kamoa Pineapple

I got this thing off eBay for $42. It's bright, precise, and sooo playable. I really got lucky!
:shaka:

I have a pretty big collection of ukuleles. I have several that I love to play for various songs or certain tones. Ohana CK-300G is one of my favorites because it is clear and sweet. It is not too punchy and the tone doesn't break down if it is played harder. The Ohana CK-70 is another favorite. I love finger-picking it. IT is the LOUDEST uke I own. Played plugged, I love the Oscar Schmidt OU5LCE. It has an extended neck (tenor on a concert body) and a cut-away body for the upper frets. I love my KoAloha tenor-necked soprano. You'll be able to read about it in the next issue of Ukulele Player Magazine. I am reviewing it. The new Oscar Schmidt OU280SWK just arrived today. It has one of the sweetest tones I have ever heard in a uke. It is not as loud as several of my ukes, but, it is beautiful and plays like silk. I love my Ohana BK-32 baritone. Solid mahogany, it sounds smooth and sexy.

that's such a tough question...each of my ukes is very special in their own way, and each has it's own history and story to tell. If pressed, I guess my favorite ukes would be my Harold Teen comic soprano uke from the 30's, with the famous caption "music self played is happiness self made" - this one is particularly important to me as it was from the personal collection of Ward Kimball, Walt Disney's main film animator in the early years and is in near mint condition... another fave is a custom Black Bear concert uke - a favorite because I had a hand in it's design...many others...but maybe my third fave would be a Mango Mya-Moe tenor resonator, because it's the one I've just bought!!! But like SailingUke said, your favorite is always the one in your hand!

My Kamaka tenor...it is the easiest for me to play, the most versatile (the Pineapple Sunday sound is great but is a niche), and most importantly, the deep historical connection to Hawaii. Even though my KoAloha and Kanile'a were made in Hawaii, for me, Kamaka IS Hawaii.

My favorite tenor is my KoAloha tenor. My favorite concert is my National Resophonic. My favorite soprano is my vintage Favilla. Overall, it's probably my KoAloha, but the National is still new and I think once I get used to it, it may be it. Maybe.

It's hard to pick just one, but it would probably be my ca 1930 Martin Style 2. It's old and well-played, moderately rare, it sounds fantastic and is a joy to play. I like old things that have character, and that are no longer made. I like things that are well-made, with old-fashioned craftsmanship. I always wanted an old Martin guitar, but I'm not much of a guitar player, and couldn't ever justify spending that much money on something that would really just be a vanity item. But as soon as I started playing ukulele and found out that Martin made ukes, getting an old Martin became a reasonable goal. And it really is a gem. It has a loud, punchy, full, round voice. It sounds good strummed or finger-picked. It sounds good played softly or pushed nearly to "overdrive", and it's very responsive. It even smells nice (don't laugh... I've seen some old instruments that smelled HORRID!). It's clearly been well-loved during it's 80 or so years, and I am happy to help it continue to sing.

My Kamaka tenor. I never play anything else unless I have to. Rarely am I more than a mile from it.

I don't have any fancy "K" brands, but I do have a 40's style 3 Martin that I love to play. Know what though, if my Makala tenor is closer to me when I get the urge- I play it with the same joy...$70 well spent I figure.
I would say my Kala Spalted Tenor is my favorite- birthday present from my wife even though I have more ukes then weeks playing them ;)

Top Bottom