uke leash vs. uke strap?

Damian

Reaction score
I was wondering which one is really better or more comfortable, the uke leash or the uke strap? I want to put one on my uke so it's easier to stand and play if I want to. The uke leash goes around the top of the uke's neck, then around the neck of the player and around the upper right arm. The uke strap is more like a classical guitar strap and attaches to the sound whole and goes around the neck of the player. tnx.

Uke leash won't threaten to damage the soundhole of your uke and if you let it go, most likely won't fall to the ground. As far as comfort is concerned, that is purely subjective and you should try em both out if you can.

I have several Uke Leashes. I am most comfortable attaching one end to the uke (duh!) and the other goes over my left shoulder to my belt. When I need to set the uke down, I use the quick-release clip and stuff the long end into my back pocket.

I have both and for holding up the headsock while you're playing, I think the leash and the strap work equally well. The main benefit of the leash is that it does what a strap does but without requiring you to get a hole drilled into your ukulele for a srtap button. Another benefit it that it rolls up into a smaller ball when you're not using it and want to carry it with you. The biggest downside is that you can't just let the uke hang from your neck, as you do with a strap, because the leash attaches only at the headstock, although I have seen people drape the ukulele over a shoulder and let it hang vertically when the uke isn't being played. If you don't care about putting a strap button on your uke, then it's probably just a matter of personal preference -- try them both and see what you like better. The uke leash is very cool, though, and I really like mine.

uke leash vs. uke strap

i use the uke thong! it holds onto the bottom of the sound hole :) and wraps around under the uke and the loop goes around my neck - it doesn't sound comfy but it is. just don't let go or the uke will fall face down. it's good for uke alongs, standing while playing and for people who can't keep the uke up otherwise. i've been using it since i started. i was sold on the name alone!. cheap 10 bucks.:cool:

A few of my ukes have buttons and I use a strap. I do not like using a classical guitar sound hole strap for two reasons, damage to the sound hole and if you let go it flips and falls to the ground.
I have a uke leash I use on ukes without buttons and like Harold attach it to a belt or belt loop.
The Uke Leash works great and is easily carried and/or swithched from uke to uke.
Harold and I are probably biased as we know and play ukulele with the lovely Lori.

I have several Uke Leashes. I am most comfortable attaching one end to the uke (duh!) and the other goes over my left shoulder to my belt. When I need to set the uke down, I use the quick-release clip and stuff the long end into my back pocket.

...if you let it go, most likely won't fall to the ground...

Not to cause trouble but I don't agree with you at all. That was one of the problems I found with it. I did feel a sense of security with the strap, but if you let go of the leash the ukulele is on the floor. It also felt really funny when using. I vote for the uke thong. For my new ukulele I think I'll try out a mandolin strap. However, it is true the leash won't damage the soundhole, but I've never had trouble with the thong.

I was sent a Uke leash from Lori, and I find it very comfortable while supporting the head but still giving freedom of movement of the instruments body.

Not to cause trouble but I don't agree with you at all. That was one of the problems I found with it. I did feel a sense of security with the strap, but if you let go of the leash the ukulele is on the floor. It also felt really funny when using. I vote for the uke thong. For my new ukulele I think I'll try out a mandolin strap. However, it is true the leash won't damage the soundhole, but I've never had trouble with the thong.

You looking for trouble, lady...;)
If the leash is secure to your strumming arm or belt loop and over your shoulder, it may hang if it slipped out of your hand, but probably (probably, not definitely) not contact the ground. If the uke slips with the thong, it would do a twist and flip and hit the ground.

Home-made strap

The strap weirded me out a little & although the strap that attached to the sound hole was comfortable & beautiful, I decided to make my own. I got the idea after seeing a video on UU that used shoelaces for a strap. I tried it & used that as my initial measure for how much ribbon to get.

I ended up making the strap from a 3/8" ribbon which is fairly strong and looks nice. (It may be edging.) I liked that size as it is not so invasive to the looks of the instrument. I measured around the uke & put industrial strength self-sticking velcro on one end of the ribbon & at the point of contact, from there I measured how long I wanted the strap to be, added enough to go around the head, (plus a little incase I wanted to change the length.) and put the industrial strength velcro on the other end & put a piece that I centered at the point of contact (so I could change the strap length.) Because it is fairly tight around the head, the pegs hold that end in place. I have been surprised how well it worked. I leave it on the instrument, so the velcro is holding amazingly well. If you try it, make sure the soft part of the velcro is towards the instrument.

The uke can fall with either the Strap or the Leash. The uke will fall with the Leash if the leash slips off your shoulder. However, it will not fall to the floor (while standing) if you take your hands off the uke and the Leash stays over your shoulder. The uke will fall off the strap if you let it go with both hands.

The point is that neither method is intended to be a 100% handsfree carry method like a regular guitar strap with end pin or pickup connection.

All things considered, I think the Leash is a better design, IMHO.

If your thong slips you may have a bigger issue than your ukulele falling.
Can we say "Wardrobe Malfunction" ? :) :)

I use both. I bought a leather Uke Leash from Lori (fantastic lady, by the way) earlier this year at the Inland Empire Ukulele Festival. Unlike my uke thong, with the Uke Leash I can walk around without having to keep at least one hand on my uke. Ric

LEASH, I have FOUR! In point, on my four "Best" ukes. On which I will neither drill ANYWHERE for a strap button, NOR will I attach ANYTHING to the soudhole (IMO that is an accident looking for a place to happen).

On the lesser ukes I play most have additional headstock straps, and I just pop my nylon leash onto their clips and go. The three leather straps are color matched to the ukes I keep them on permanently, like jewelry. My one Kanile'a tenor is a gloss finish and so slippery it was hard to hang on to before the leash. The leash makes it much easier for me to reach farther for chords.

I love my Uke Leashes!

I normally don't use either. I have a strap for my tenor, but don't use it often. I ordered a leather strap with my Mainland (since it had a pickup installed and I need to be able to wear it AND a bass guitar at the same time for one song). I recently ordered a leash, and have used it some around the house, and I must say, I really like it. I still probably won't use any sort of strap very often, but I think the Uke Leash is a brilliant idea. Way to go, Lori!

I generally don't play standing up, and when I play one of my tenors, it is quite comfortable without any leash or strap. I do find, however, that when I play my Pineapple Sunday (which has a very unusual shape) the leash makes playing INFINITELY easier -- I very rarely play that uke without its leash. I don't have to worry about holding on to the uke, so my fingers are far freer to play, and I don't have the pokey shape from the PS digging into my leg by playing without one. I would never even consider doing a thong/strap type onto the soundhole of an expensive ukulele, so for me, the leash is the better of the two options.

Top Bottom