First songs you could sing and play together

marihhen

Reaction score
So, as a new player, it feels quite sad if you set your goal to learn a song- so you practice those chords till they are perfect, you practice the strum, till it sounds great and then when you try to sing that song- nothing good comes out.
what are the first songs YOU cold sing and dance (play) ? So we all knew what songs to start learning :)
Mine was Yellow submarine (beatles) with ukulele Mike
second was Amazing grace.
third has not arrived yet :D

Aloha Marihhen,
The first hit song(not first song)I learned with easy chords (one and two finger chords) was "Something" by the Beatles..
Try it, since you like the Beatles too....it's a pretty cool song....something in the way she moves...Have Fun and Enjoy!!
Keep strumming them strings...MM Stan...
P.S. Play the hawaiian D7-on it..2020

Last edited:
So, as a new player, it feels quite sad if you set your goal to learn a song- so you practice those chords till they are perfect, you practice the strum, till it sounds great and then when you try to sing that song- nothing good comes out.
what are the first songs YOU cold sing and dance (play) ? So we all knew what songs to start learning :)
Mine was Yellow submarine (beatles) with ukulele Mike
second was Amazing grace.
third has not arrived yet :D

First song was Amazing Grace
Second was Do-Ri-Me

I'm now trying to master "You've Got A Friend In Me" for a competition and also the Aldrine lesson of "Let It Snow" for the holidays!

I'm now trying to master "You've Got A Friend In Me" for a competition and also the Aldrine lesson of "Let It Snow" for the holidays!

Ha-haa the Let it snow was the first song I tryd to learn- i was playng ukulele for about week then. maybe its time I look into it again and see, if anything better comes out of it :) (is he changing chords inside the srum pattern or is it my bad strumming- cant get it to fit

mmStan, thanks for advice.

There will never be a master song that I can sing along too... I just can't sing. I haven't really 'mastered' any song.. Although I can play Ode to Joy and Fur Elise ok... I learned These boots are made for walking(finger picking), and can attempt to sing along... and a few nursery rhyme type songs.

I can't wait to hear everyones videos of You've got a friend in me... I don't think I will even attempt it.

Ha-haa the Let it snow was the first song I tryd to learn- i was playng ukulele for about week then. maybe its time I look into it again and see, if anything better comes out of it :) (is he changing chords inside the srum pattern or is it my bad strumming- cant get it to fit

mmStan, thanks for advice.

I think he's changing during the stumming...I'm just learning to strum with the song I'm learning with the competition, before it was just down strumming, now I'm trying to down, then up and so on...but it does sometimes mean changing chords between the strumming...

As for the tutorial...I could get it if he slowed down, but the play along is just too fast for me! I will get it one day!

There will never be a master song that I can sing along too... I just can't sing. I haven't really 'mastered' any song.. Although I can play Ode to Joy and Fur Elise ok... I learned These boots are made for walking(finger picking), and can attempt to sing along... and a few nursery rhyme type songs.

I can't wait to hear everyones videos of You've got a friend in me... I don't think I will even attempt it.

I've got the first two verses done, just gotta teach the words to Miss D who is the only reason I'm attempting it, she wants me to win! So I've made her learn the words so she can sing along too, if she wants the Ukulele I may get if I win, she's gotta take part too! I'm dreadful at video editing though, so I may have to practise with that too!

Cash - Ring Of Fire

I guess I played guitar and sang for along time before I discovered the joys of the beautiful and humble uke, so singing / playing together I could already do in my own average way.

but my first uke tune was Cat Stevens - the first cut is the deepest...cause it was nice and smooth and the same three chords kept rolling on and on...but I'm with fitncrafty,nursery rhymes and simple folk tunes are awesome on the uke and everyone gets a kick out of them. You can't help but sing along!:)

after that I went all Archies and wrote my first little ditty called "A Huggin and A Kissin in an '85 Nissan" in memory of my one and only love bus, complete with mattress in the back and flowery curtains on the back and sides...gee I feel old..sad how time flies..oops,time for my medication :eek:

Jimmy Buffett....Margaritaville. I play these chords....C, G7, C7 & F

Forgot to add.....while also drinking a margarita!!!! :drool:

Lots of 2 and 3 chord songs in the key of C.... two examples:

Jambalaya - by Hank Williams it's only 2 chords: C -> G

For You Blue - by The Beatles a 12-bar progression, using C, C7, F, F7 and G, G7

My Little Grass Shack.

I had the hardest time getting to where I could sing and strum at the same time! I'll always remember sitting in my beginning uke class, strumming "This Land Is Your Land" and being unable to follow the chords when I would try to start singing. One night it *finally* clicked and I was so excited :)

Way Down Upon the Swannee River

I am still practicing practicing practicing Sloop John B - it has a different beat/strum that challenges me and I can sing it because there is not much of a range of notes. Also Five Foot Two is easy and fun to play and sing. I want to learn Ain't She Sweet. Amazing Grace I can play but no way can I sing it.

My very first song was probably Happy Birthday to You.

The very first actual legit song was Island in the Sun by Weezer, all thanks to Aldrine's lesson.

Top Bottom