ukulele book?

luke104

Reaction score
hey im looking to get a ukulele book! but theres to many to choose from! :p what ones do you recommend?

Are you talking about a chord book?

I do not reccommend 'uke.n play ukulele" or something like that.. its good for like, 3 year olds... if you can play more than somewhere over the rainbow... not needed.

I would recommend the 'ukulele book entitled Discovering the 'Ukulele written by Herb Ohta, Jr. and Daniel Ho.

i have that beginner one, the intermediate book, and the chord book from roy sakuma, all from mgm, it came with my koaloha tenor

I do not reccommend 'uke.n play ukulele" or something like that.. its good for like, 3 year olds... if you can play more than somewhere over the rainbow... not needed.

I agree that you can figure out stuff with chords and such easily from the web, but getting a decent book with some easy solo stuff and picking patterns is nice to get started and learn some fun and easy melodies to play. Even if you use it for only a few weeks, you can get some ideas to practice picking and get familiar with the fretboard. This will help a lot to work out more complicated tabs, including the great stuff that is posted here. Don't know about western stuff, but they have stacks of those books for sale here in Japan for about $8-10.

Last edited:
I agree that you can figure out stuff with chords and such easily from the web, but getting a decent book with some easy solo stuff and picking patterns is nice to get started and learn some fun and easy melodies to play. Don't know about western stuff, but they have stacks of those books for sale here in Japan for about $8-10.

all it says is... some stupid songs with chords under it which you could easily get over the net, not tabs or anything.. and it has a little summary on how to play the chords.. this forum has x100 more information than that book alone.

no offence to the book :) i suppose people who have no acces to internet can use the book...

Right, I agree that the majority of "beginner" books use a lot of space to tell you what a string is and where it goes on the uke. Getting a more technique-oriented book could be a good investment though. Don't know the book in question, just a general experience-based advice.

Right, I agree that the majority of "beginner" books use a lot of space to tell you what a string is and where it goes on the uke. Getting a more technique-oriented book could be a good investment though. Don't know the book in question, just a general experience-based advice.

yeah your right. I wanted a book that was pretty good and taught me some songs, but the net does me fine now.. searched to long and wasn't pleased with many. + shipping like $100 so yeah.. no point

Top Bottom