PDA

View Full Version : New uke day!

NatalieS
10-01-2010, 07:01 AM
I ordered it on Sunday... drove to Ocala to pick it up at 7 AM this morning. By the time I got home, I had to head straight to class, so it sat, in its box, until I got home just now.

There are no words to describe how unbelievably beautiful my new uke looks and sounds. The grain is so unique with a wonderful array of light and dark tones. I had to get pictures outdoors in the sun to capture it perfectly. And even with the stock Kamaka strings, which are rumored to be dull, it sounds sweeter than any other instrument I've ever heard in person. This is indeed "The One"... I am awestruck.

Introducing... my Kamaka pineapple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ct0p1hnYo

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/008.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/002.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/004.jpg

NatalieS
10-01-2010, 07:02 AM
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/003.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/010.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/011.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/014.jpg

dkcrown
10-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Ooooh. Very pretty. Nice figure in the koa. Congrats Natalie! Now play the hell out of it.

joeybug
10-01-2010, 07:07 AM
That is gorgeous!!! How does she sound?

sukie
10-01-2010, 07:09 AM
I ordered it on Sunday... drove to Ocala to pick it up at 7 AM this morning. By the time I got home, I had to head straight to class, so it sat, in its box, until I got home just now.

There are no words to describe how unbelievably beautiful my new uke looks and sounds. The grain is so unique with a wonderful array of light and dark tones. I had to get pictures outdoors in the sun to capture it perfectly. And even with the stock Kamaka strings, which are rumored to be dull, it sounds sweeter than any other instrument I've ever heard in person. This is indeed "The One"... I am awestruck.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/009.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/008.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/002.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/004.jpg
Happy New Uke Day to YOU!!! Very lovely.

Ukeffect
10-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Mmmmmm...glowy pineapple goodnes....*drool, slobber!* :drool:

Mandarb
10-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Congrats on your new uke. It looks beautiful. I have been loving my Kamaka tenor that I got last week.

molokinirum
10-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Wow what a beautiful uke!!!! Congrats!!! Now you must (if you have not done already) is join the Kamaka Klub!
Any chance you could put up a sound clip??

DAPuke
10-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Sweeeeeeet! Thanks for the great pics!!! DAP

NatalieS
That is gorgeous!!! How does she sound?

Sounds wonderful! I'm in the process of switching to Worth strings now, because I heard many people say they bring out the best in Kamakas. I'm still a little speechless, I'm so happy. :)

kenikas
WOW!!.......just WOW!!

NatalieS
10-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Wow what a beautiful uke!!!! Congrats!!! Now you must (if you have not done already) is join the Kamaka Klub!
Any chance you could put up a sound clip??

I've join the Klub and will make a video once the new strings are settled in. Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Ahnko Honu
10-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Congratulations Natalie, welcome to the world of the Kamaka pineapple! To me the Kamaka pineapple is THEE Hawaiian 'ukulele in it's purest form designed and made by a Hawaiian, and unique enough to be patented, a Hawaiian original. I grew up with the sound of my dad's Kamaka pineapple echoing thru the house especially on Friday nights when Dad had friends over for his Aloha Friday Pau Hana parties. Both Dad and his Kamaka are memories now but what great memories they are. I am hoping your new Kamaka helps create unforgettable memories for you and your loved ones. :)

PS. Join the Pineapple Patch too.

GX9901
10-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Ooh, nice! That's a great looking pineapple. Congrats!

mds725
10-01-2010, 07:56 AM
That's one beautiful ukulele! Congratulations! I can't wait to hear how it sounds!

Gmoney
10-01-2010, 08:33 AM

Well, ahem, of course, it almost had to be! Now that is one beautiful ukulele! I can't imagine that any other pineapple (or some say any other similar model from anyone else) comes close to how it sounds. Congratulations!

Now... if I can talk Mike of UkeRepublic out of the Mainland uke you sent back...

RyanMFT
10-01-2010, 09:19 AM
WOW! Such a beauty, and I bet it sounds even better than it looks! ENJOY and play the heck out of it!

roxhum
10-01-2010, 09:25 AM
I am so happy that you are happy and that the wait for all of us is over. Congratulations. It is beautiful!

NatalieS
10-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Now... if I can talk Mike of UkeRepublic out of the Mainland uke you sent back...

I actually ordered from Mike at Mainland, not Mike at UkeRepublic. I don't want to get your hopes up!

janeray1940
10-01-2010, 10:15 AM
It's beautiful! I think that's next up on my wish list too.

Did I read that right - you can order a Kamaka from Mainland??

Gmoney
10-01-2010, 10:16 AM
I actually ordered from Mike at Mainland, not Mike at UkeRepublic. I don't want to get your hopes up!

Mike, Mike, Mike! Why are all the uke shop owners Mikes?? And I'll be seing UkeRepublic Mike this week & was going to twist his arm a bit.

d-mace
10-01-2010, 10:20 AM
congrats! i'm torn right now between buying either a kamaka concert or pineapple. there's things i like about both but can only get one. i need to morph the pineapple body (love the tone) with the concert neck and sail headstock.

NatalieS
10-01-2010, 10:29 AM
It's beautiful! I think that's next up on my wish list too.

Did I read that right - you can order a Kamaka from Mainland??

Haha no. I ordered a Mainland pineapple uke from Mainland last week but I didn't care for it so I returned it.

janeray1940
10-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Haha no. I ordered a Mainland pineapple uke from Mainland last week but I didn't care for it so I returned it.

So did you order this one direct from Kamaka?

NatalieS
10-01-2010, 10:54 AM
So did you order this one direct from Kamaka?

No I ordered it from a guitar shop in Nashville that puts all their instruments' pictures online. It was the only way I could tell which uke I would be getting!

Toucan Mango
10-01-2010, 12:09 PM
You picked a nice one, I love that grain!

mm stan
10-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Aloha Natalie,
Congrats on you new Kamaka purchase....it looks awesome and it must sound just as good. I admire you for having
that certain something when it comes to ukuleles, to let go what doesn't work for you and to keep what does you love...
many of us have problems parting with things even if they don't work for sentimental reasons...I notice that the mahalo
is no longer there on your signature, have you sold it yet. Is your policy to keep just the top four or all you love???
As for your case, I'm not sure if they'e popular in the mainland...but I have three of those cases probally bought at
the stadium swap meet. Any UU members know if it's popular in the mainland too?
You seem to make the right decision and buy a premimum Kamaka and a Kayak and instead of getting a high end
ukulele....smart move, this way you actually you get both and still retain a quality ukulele...
You must have been really excited but I'm not sure how you kept your composure from not opening the box and take
a peek until you got home. You got some will power there....if it was me, I couldn't resist and would be tempted
to look and take a few strums..
Well, let us know how it is and maybe post and make song about this ukulele aquirement occasion.....We would
definetly like to hear that....Have Fun and Enjoy!!! Keep strumming them strings...MM Stan....

Hippie Dribble
10-01-2010, 12:16 PM
great choice Nat. Absolutely beautiful mate...like others have said, incredible grain in the wood. I've turned as green as kermit...and I'm with Ahnko and his comments. A brand new baby born, ready to accompany you through your life and develop its very own history and stories to tell. Very precious mate. Congratulations and happy strummin and pickin!!!

wickedwahine11
10-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh my, that is just stunning! Congratulations on the beautiful new Kamaka pineapple, and welcome to the Kamaka Klub. :)

Chris Tarman
10-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Good choice! I have about decided that if I ever go to Hawaii I will probably try to get a Kamaka pineapple. I like the way they look better than KoAloha's pineapples, and I think better than the Kamaka standard soprano. Aww, who am I kidding? I'll probably try to get one whether I ever go to Hawaii or not! That is some great-looking wood. Enjoy!

NatalieS
10-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Thank you for the comments everyone! For anyone that's interested, Artisan Guitars in Nashville TN was where I ordered this uke from.

After having a weird uke week last week (ordering a Mainland then sending it back), I woke up Sunday with a clear head and the resolution to finally purchase a ukulele I could cherish my entire life and pass on to my relatives. Two brands came to mind: Martin and Kamaka. I personally prefer the sound of koa to mahogany, so I went to Kamaka's website and, from there, spent the entire morning looking through their U.S. dealers' websites. I happened upon Artisan Guitars, which had one pineapple for sale with absolutely gorgeous photos. I emailed them to make sure the photos were of the actual instrument for sale. Even though it was a Sunday, and even though their shop was closed, I got an email reply within the hour. Bill at Artisan helped me with my order and kept me up to date on every single step of the sales process. When I missed the uke's arrival on Wednesday, and I knew it would be sitting at FedEx until I could pick it up today, I was heartbroken. I called my mom, who always listens patiently to all my stories, then I contacted Bill. They both were equally sympathetic and encouraged me to look forward to today.

Artisan packed this instrument more carefully than I have ever seen with any other uke. They also included the hardcase, which was a pleasant surprise! I highly recommend their business to anyone who might be considering a new guitar or other string instrument.

Congratulations Natalie, welcome to the world of the Kamaka pineapple! To me the Kamaka pineapple is THEE Hawaiian 'ukulele in it's purest form designed and made by a Hawaiian, and unique enough to be patented, a Hawaiian original. I grew up with the sound of my dad's Kamaka pineapple echoing thru the house especially on Friday nights when Dad had friends over for his Aloha Friday Pau Hana parties. Both Dad and his Kamaka are memories now but what great memories they are. I am hoping your new Kamaka helps create unforgettable memories for you and your loved ones. :)

PS. Join the Pineapple Patch too.

Ahnko, I definitely thought of you when I ordered this uke. To me, you are THE pineapple guy! I now love pineapples too. The Kamaka offers the best of both worlds: a soprano fingerboard, but larger body size than a figure-8, which makes it sound more like a concert. It's a wonderful combination!

congrats! i'm torn right now between buying either a kamaka concert or pineapple. there's things i like about both but can only get one. i need to morph the pineapple body (love the tone) with the concert neck and sail headstock.

Haha yeah, it's always hard to make a decision like that! Are you more comfortable with soprano or concert fingerboards? That might be the most important factor in making your decision.

Is your policy to keep just the top four or all you love???
You seem to make the right decision and buy a premimum Kamaka and a Kayak and instead of getting a high end
ukulele....smart move, this way you actually you get both and still retain a quality ukulele...
You must have been really excited but I'm not sure how you kept your composure from not opening the box and take
a peek until you got home. You got some will power there....if it was me, I couldn't resist and would be tempted
to look and take a few strums..

I just keep the ones that I fall in love with. And yes,the Mainland was returned.
You know, I felt eerily calm today. I'd already had to wait two extra days to get it, that another hour or so wasn't a big deal. It was almost like that pleasant anticipation you feel on Christmas Eve, and once it's over you miss it. :)

great choice Nat. Absolutely beautiful mate...like others have said, incredible grain in the wood. I've turned as green as kermit...and I'm with Ahnko and his comments. A brand new baby born, ready to accompany you through your life and develop its very own history and stories to tell. Very precious mate. Congratulations and happy strummin and pickin!!!

Thanks! Yes, I really believe this will be the one uke that gets passed down in my family when I get too old to play it. It's a unique, wonderful feeling to look at it and know it'll be with me forever.

Good choice! I have about decided that if I ever go to Hawaii I will probably try to get a Kamaka pineapple. I like the way they look better than KoAloha's pineapples, and I think better than the Kamaka standard soprano. Aww, who am I kidding? I'll probably try to get one whether I ever go to Hawaii or not! That is some great-looking wood. Enjoy!

Haha, I agree! Kamaka's pineapples are so timeless looking. Like you, I really wanted to go to Hawaii and pick one out myself. Unfortunately I haven't been to Hawaii in 12 years and I'm not going anytime soon(!), so I enjoyed being able to look at this exact uke's photos on the dealer's website.

mds725
10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
No I ordered it from a guitar shop in Nashville that puts all their instruments' pictures online. It was the only way I could tell which uke I would be getting!

Disclosing the name of the guitar shop here would be your big chance to give the guitar shop a plug and give us all (well. me at least) the chance to fantasize about buying one of the beautiful instruments pictured on its website.... :)

Edit: Oops. Looks like you beat me to it. :)

pulelehua
10-01-2010, 12:55 PM
That looks like a beautiful tree with strings on it. Very woody, natural grain.

Ronnie Aloha
10-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Wow, sometimes Kamaka amazes me with their stock wood grain.

Lexxy
10-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Now this is a beau.

peterp
10-01-2010, 02:33 PM
congratulations, natalie. i've had my kamaka pineapple since april, and i really enjoy it... much more than my martin 3C soprano. i think my kamaka has started to open up a bit. the sound is now louder and richer. i've got aquila strings on mine, but i need to try the worth strings. the aquilas seem too bright. my kamaka is a keeper. hope yours is too.

Pippin
10-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Beautiful ukulele. I have yet to buy a Kamaka.

ADD
10-01-2010, 07:37 PM
"......when I get too old to play it. It's a unique, wonderful feeling to look at it and know it'll be with me forever."

Natalie, understand completely how you fell in love and hope that it keeps you so young you will never get too old to play it. (Check out the Duke of Uke, Bill Tapia, playing on his 100th b-day on youtube.) Congratulations and so very happy for you. Can't wait to hear it now.

NatalieS
10-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Since I received this uke on October 1st, and October is one of my favorite months, I decided to celebrate the occasion:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/002-1.jpg

:D

mm stan
10-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Aloha Nat,
You're one creative gal there!!! I wonder if Kamaka ever made a Halloween uke, would it look like that??
Thanks for sharing, MM Stan...

NatalieS
10-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Aloha Nat,
You're one creative gal there!!! I wonder if Kamaka ever made a Halloween uke, would it look like that??
Thanks for sharing, MM Stan...

Haha, all I did was cut out the shapes on black paper. It was lots of fun though. I think it'd be great to have an UU thread of people dressing up their ukes. Anybody interested? :)

Chris Tarman
10-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Natalie,
I once did that exact same thing with a Music Man Stingray bass I have. It's orange, and we had a halloween gig. I took off the pickguard (which happens to be a similar shape to a pineapple ukulele) and made eyes, mouth and nose out of black construction paper. I used the pickup as the main part of the mouth, and then made snaggly teeth around it. I wish I had thought to take a picture of it.... But hey, I have a halloween gig this year too! I might have to resurrect that idea.

mds725
10-02-2010, 01:32 PM
I think it'd be great to have an UU thread of people dressing up their ukes. Anybody interested? :)

That sounds really cool! It may be a hard to make a figure-eight shaped ukulele look like a jack-o-lantern, but the figure-eight shape would present an interesting costuming challenge. If I weren't busy trying to design a songwriting contest, I'd set up a ukulele costume contest instead. But a photo thread would be a lot of fun, too.

NatalieS
10-03-2010, 07:11 AM
The strings have finally settled so I filmed a short video. It's in the first post of this thread!

wickedwahine11
10-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Wow, it looks even better in the video than it did in the photos. It sounds great too, which Worth clears did you choose? The CL or CM ones?

haole
10-03-2010, 08:20 AM
That's one of the nicest Kamakas I've ever seen! Congrats!

ADD
10-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Thanks for posting, Natalie. It sounds sweet. You strum and pick so gently, like a mom might stroke her newborn babe. There have been many times I've listened to MGM demo ukes and wish he'd get someone with a little lighter touch also play it as contrast to hear the more subtle tones of the uke.

Again, congrats and so happy for you.

Chris Tarman
10-03-2010, 08:47 AM
That is just a gorgeous instrument, Natalie. Excellent choice!

NatalieS
10-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Wow, it looks even better in the video than it did in the photos. It sounds great too, which Worth clears did you choose? The CL or CM ones?

I chose the CM :)

Thanks for the comments everyone!! I guarantee you, my technique is average at best. This instrument just sounds so lovely.

joeybug
10-03-2010, 09:10 AM
That is the sweetest sound I've ever heard! What a beautiful Uke! Maybe my next one should be a pineapple...hmm...here's hoping I do get some money to play with next Feb!

farmerboy
10-03-2010, 09:43 AM
apparently I've gone a good shade of green. Beautiful uke. I love pineapples.

Congratulations

Lori
10-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Wow, what a beautiful ukulele. A real pleasure to get to see it! Thanks for posting the video and photos. I am really happy for you. An instrument like that inspires one so much, I am sure you will end up playing much more than you might ordinarily.

–Lori

cletus
10-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Humminahumminah!! What a pretty looking and lovely sounding ukulele!

mds725
10-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks for posting a video of the new ukulele. It looks wonderful and sounds great. No wonder you've fallen in love with it.

Lexxy
10-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Not only is the uke wonderful, your playing is even better! Congrats on the Kamake pineapple once again!!

NatalieS
10-04-2010, 02:19 AM
apparently I've gone a good shade of green. Beautiful uke. I love pineapples. Congratulations

Thanks, I love pineapples too :)

Wow, what a beautiful ukulele. A real pleasure to get to see it! Thanks for posting the video and photos. I am really happy for you. An instrument like that inspires one so much, I am sure you will end up playing much more than you might ordinarily. –Lori

Thanks, you're absolutely right! It's so nice to play on something that plays so easily, has perfect action, and no intonation issues. It's a real treat, and I've been a real slacker this weekend because I've played so much!

Humminahumminah!! What a pretty looking and lovely sounding ukulele!

LOL, thank you!

Thanks for posting a video of the new ukulele. It looks wonderful and sounds great. No wonder you've fallen in love with it.

Not only is the uke wonderful, your playing is even better! Congrats on the Kamake pineapple once again!!

Aw, thanks Lexxy. I assure you, this instrument sounds so good that it just makes me sound better than I really am. I hope it'll help me improve!

NatalieS
10-04-2010, 02:20 AM
That is the sweetest sound I've ever heard! What a beautiful Uke! Maybe my next one should be a pineapple...hmm...here's hoping I do get some money to play with next Feb!

Thanks Joeybug! I'm excited for your Ohana's arrival. But it's true, there's something extra special about pineapples. I waited three years to get my first pineapple, I hope you can get one sooner than that!

okie dokie
10-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Congradulations on your new Kamaka pineapple. The koa wood is outstanding and your sound bite has a beautiful woody ring to it. Lovely sound.
I live in Ocala and reading your post fast I was wondering what music store here carries Kamaka's. Than ok you drove to Fedex
because you missed your delivery.
Well I'm the old man who bought the Kamaka tenor last week off of the marketplace. It came friday but was delivered to the wrong house.. you got to love those UPS guys.
It too is a beautiful instrument may be too nice for me at this stage of the game seeing that I'm a beginner. I practice on my
Koa Pili Koko tenor because I dont want to hurt the Kamaka. I have the ukulele bug so I decided to to buy the Kamaka tenor
after selling my ne plus ultra vintage Richelieu bango to Elderly instruments.

So lots of good luck again with your new ukulele

Andy

Mandarb
10-04-2010, 04:19 AM
Congradulations on your new Kamaka pineapple. The koa wood is outstanding and your sound bite has a beautiful woody ring to it. Lovely sound.
I live in Ocala and reading your post fast I was wondering what music store here carries Kamaka's. Than ok you drove to Fedex
because you missed your delivery.
Well I'm the old man who bought the Kamaka tenor last week off of the marketplace. It came friday but was delivered to the wrong house.. you got to love those UPS guys.
It too is a beautiful instrument may be too nice for me at this stage of the game seeing that I'm a beginner. I practice on my
Koa Pili Koko tenor because I dont want to hurt the Kamaka. I have the ukulele bug so I decided to to buy the Kamaka tenor
after selling my ne plus ultra vintage Richelieu bango to Elderly instruments.

So lots of good luck again with your new ukulele

Andy

Congrats on the Kamaka. You won't hurt it. You spent the money on it to enjoy playing it - so enjoy it.