PDA

View Full Version : What was the last song you performed "played for someone or audience?"

DAPuke
10-01-2010, 08:53 AM
I am curious as to what your last performance "playing for one or more person/s" was.
Last night I played "Guava Jelly" for my wife Partly to practice for a coffee house jam coming up and so she could figure out her harmony part. I considered it a performance, for me it was serious business, gave it my best.
What did you last play for someone?
DAP

Mandarb
10-01-2010, 08:55 AM
My wife is usually in the room when I play/practice the same chord changes over and over - does that count?

molokinirum
10-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Moloka'i Slide for the family while sitting outside at night with the tiki torches all lit. Of course, the family had already comsumed a lot of rum and all claimed I was very very good!!

provines
10-01-2010, 08:58 AM
"Hip Hip Hip Hippopotamus" for my Kindergarten class at church last Sunday.

DAPuke
10-01-2010, 09:05 AM
My wife is usually in the room when I play/practice the same chord changes over and over - does that count?

If you played your best to sound good for her, absolutely. You performed. Aren't many "songs" are the same chords changes over and over. DAP

Ron
10-01-2010, 09:28 AM
we'd just worked out "Miss the Mississippi and You" when my wife came in looking for ythe bottle of wine we'd pinched so we played it to her.

RyanMFT
10-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Last night I played "Sea of Love" to my 10 month old Italian Greyhound. She remained curled up in a ball and was thoroughly unmoved by the whole experience!

Sir
10-01-2010, 09:34 AM
To a proper audience, under lights and on stage?

Freefallin' (John Mayer version? A doddle to play.... F, Bb, C, but sounds great!

gnordenstam
10-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Last night I played a bluesy version of Five Foot Two for my sweetheart.

joeybug
10-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I played "You've Got A Friend In Me" to my carer and her daughter at about 7pm tonight, I did my best but it's still not ready for an actual peformance!

KevinV
10-01-2010, 01:10 PM
My band played a gig last Saturday and the last song of our second set was the "No No" song by Hoyt Axton.

RyRod
10-01-2010, 01:12 PM
"Here, there, and everywhere" and Crosscurrent last night at my first open mic.

DAPuke
10-01-2010, 01:17 PM
"Here, there, and everywhere" and Crosscurrent last night at my first open mic.

Congratulations on your first open mic for uke. You're ahead of me.

Strummingbird Stu
10-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I enjoy going to Open Mic sessions around Honolulu to try out songs i'm currently working on. If I receive a generally positive response, it inspires me to keep working hard on my music. The last one I did was "Hey, Soul Sister" by Train.

Lexxy
10-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Hey soul sister to a pretty girl that i was after :P

GreatGazukes
10-01-2010, 02:51 PM
2 verses of Aba Dabba Honeymoon, 2nd verse played really really fast, lol. Not sure who was leading, the singing or the playing.

telebob
10-01-2010, 03:35 PM
My most recent public performance with a uke was at a Beatles trbiute show with 8 other performers. Since all other musicians were playing guitar (and one on keyboard), I chose the uke for my instrument and performance. IN my 3 song set, I opened with George Harrison's "For You Blue" followed by "Something," and then closed with the Beatles' "One After 909." Lotsa fun! :music:

TCK
10-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I played "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in class- I know, it is predictable. I have a kid who is "differently abled" in one of my classes and when I found the right chords, off he went. He sang while I figured the tune out and we played it without hesitation for a group of about 20 students until we got it right...
great day for Ukin'

ADD
10-01-2010, 05:09 PM
"Ain't She Sweet" for my neighbor and her son.

mackie
10-01-2010, 05:11 PM
With You - Chris Brown

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-01-2010, 06:02 PM
like to see your guava jam there DAPuke :P

blue roses falling I played for my aunty because I'm playing it at her wedding. ha ha :P

rock_and_roll_camera
10-02-2010, 12:35 AM
I always play infront of my girlfriend, but the other day her sister, brother-in-law and their son, our little nephew, were around. Somebody suggested I play for my nephew (he's only 18 months now) to see if he liked it... he wasn't that interested. I played probably "Five Foot Two", "Ain't She Sweet" and "Staten Island Slide"? No singing though! Back in February though I played at said nephew's Christening, "This Little Light Of Mine" infront of say 30 or more people which was cool. Uke in a church with everybody singing! Was surprised by how many people came to talk to me about it afterwards, went down really well!

fitncrafty
10-02-2010, 12:49 AM
I played "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in class- I know, it is predictable. I have a kid who is "differently abled" in one of my classes and when I found the right chords, off he went. He sang while I figured the tune out and we played it without hesitation for a group of about 20 students until we got it right...
great day for Ukin'

There should be more teachers like you! My son had an assignment to write a song for biology last year with a group.. they had to write it about bacteria... It was fun! Wanna come teach in NY?

Ukuleleblues
10-02-2010, 12:03 PM
We played this afternoon over in Downtown Summerville for People Places and Quilts for a little over 2 hours and played these:

Sweet Home Chicago
Digga Digga Do
I Shot the Sheriff
Charleston
Bye Bye Blues
Puttin on the Ritz
Summertime
Ain't Misbehavin
Rainbow Blues
Tiger Rag
St James Infirmary
Black Magic Woman
Charlestowne Strutters Ball
On the Beach At Waikiki
St Louis Blue
Rock Island Line
12th Street Rag
Dream
Everyone Says I love You
Hot Tamales
Pennies From Heaven
Take the A train
Ain't she sweet
Crawdad Song
Dream a Little Dream Of Me
Frankie and Johnnie
It's Only a Paper Moon
Toot Toot Tootise
Under the Boardwalk
Whispering
Big Boss Man
My Window Faces the South
Love potion #9

monty
10-02-2010, 01:22 PM
I played the first time for my girlfriend of over 1 1/2 years the other day... Since then i've played about 6 different songs, always at the wrong time according to her! (when we need to get ready, changed, basically any excuse to pull out the uke).

The first song was Bridge over Troubled water, complete with singing and a lame attempt to hit the high bit at the end. I semi-pulled it off, but shall tone it down for future performances :P Then there was gently weeps, shirley T, Crazy G, Imagine and Touch - most of those by the mighty Jake.

Fuzzy
10-04-2010, 05:47 AM
At my band's gig last Thursday we played "Look On The Sunny Side Of Life" by The Carter Family with Daniel Johnson's "Funeral Home" stuck in the middle.

csr5z
10-04-2010, 06:29 AM
On Sundays over lunch I play for my 92-year-old grandfather at his nursing home -- and any other unfortunate soul who happens to be in the cafeteria at the time. Here's some of what I played this week

As Time Goes By
Let's Fall in Love
I Can't Give You Anything But love
More
You Don't Know Me
You Belong to Me
King of the Road
Something
Our Day Will Come

One of the great gifts that this little instrument has given me is a new way to spend time with my Grampa Joe as he declines. For most of my life, we could talk about baseball, politics, and Frank Sinatra. But his mind isn't what it used to be, so we can't talk about them much anymore. But he likes when I play the ukulele for him, especially the old songs.

DAPuke
10-04-2010, 08:08 AM
like to see your guava jam there DAPuke :P

blue roses falling I played for my aunty because I'm playing it at her wedding. ha ha :P

Sure UkuLeLesReggAe, I'll bring a video cam to the performance. How bout your's?

Uncle Rod Higuchi
10-04-2010, 10:49 AM
OK, it was "Ku'uipo ika he'e pu'e one" at my Restaurant gig.

Beautiful Hawaiian song composed by Princess Miriam Likelike.

ricdoug
10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Hawaii Aloha last night in San Clemente, California at http://www.meetup.com/ukulelesundays . It was the first time I've used UStream to webcast a kanikapila. I'll webcast the San Diego kanikapila at 6:30pm pacific time tonight, if they have wifi. Ric