New Super Soprano Concert

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
I rarely post pics of my work on this forum but since the UU web site has cancelled all of their paid advertising I feel no conflict of interest.
It's hard to find the time it requires to design and build new molds but this is something I've been wanting to build for a long time. Soprano body with a concert neck, the ideal combination for a pineapple uke in my opinion. Koa, maple, tri-color rope binding, bone where it needs it, Aquila strings, Grover tuners.
Even though the body length is standard size, the interior volume of the body is probably closer to a traditional shaped concert due to the lack of any waist. Punchy full sound on this one.

Attachments

• pineapple4.jpg
    pineapple4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 187
  • pineapple2.jpg
    pineapple2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 175
  • pineapple1.jpg
    pineapple1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 216
  • pineapple3.jpg
    pineapple3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 225
That is just gorgeous! Bet ot sounds as sweet as it looks.

More winners. I am a big fan. :-)

Chuck..I just brought "Mrs Timbuck" over to the monitor to look at this Uke... which I think looks "Bloody great"...and She say's......Quote "We should get him to come and do our Kitchen"

Chuck..I just brought "Mrs Timbuck" over to the monitor to look at this Uke... which I think looks "Bloody great"...and She say's......Quote "We should get him to come and do our Kitchen"

OK, so here's part of the kitchen. My intention was to use all of the koa that didn't make the grade for ukuleles. As I got further into the project though, some pretty nice curly stuff found it's way into the cabinets. I feel guilty every time I look at it. I'm already thinking of pulling off some of the doors!

Attachments

• DSC_0004 copy.jpg
    DSC_0004 copy.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 181
Very nice indeed Chuck. I've got some really nice Blackwood that I've set aside for something like that. You've given me the inspiration, now just to find the time.

Any trouble finding a case to fit it?

OK, so here's part of the kitchen. My intention was to use all of the koa that didn't make the grade for ukuleles. As I got further into the project though, some pretty nice curly stuff found it's way into the cabinets. I feel guilty every time I look at it. I'm already thinking of pulling off some of the doors!

Yeah, but how does the Kitchen sound???

At last - nice one maestro - is spuring me on to do same. i tried one last year but didn't get to finish it. Not sure if there is a demand here in Europe. I know what you mean about the kitchen. The bed I made in the early years of our marriage soon ended up as a sledge when I started building furniture and stuff. It doesn't do to make personal stuff from your stash...

Aloha Chuck,
I think when I come over to visit your shop in a little more than a week to see the ukuleles, my wife will want to see the kitchen!

:)

Aloha Chuck,
I think when I come over to visit your shop in a little more than a week to see the ukuleles, my wife will want to see the kitchen!

:)

Damon -- take more pictures of the kitchen. It's gorgeous.

Beautiful job with both projects Chuck. While I've never been a fan of the pineapple shape, yours is certainly a work of art.
Can't help but count the ukes in your kitchen. Must be Koa for 20+. Maybe 30 with the drawer facings.
Will be interesting to see how long before cabinet door panels begin to go missing.
You've brought new meaning to the term 'raid the kitchen'.

Can't help but count the ukes in your kitchen. Must be Koa for 20+. Maybe 30 with the drawer facings.
Will be interesting to see how long before cabinet door panels begin to go missing.
You've brought new meaning to the term 'raid the kitchen'.

And that's only part of the kitchen.
This really goes to show how much waste is involved in cutting instrument sets. You often run into flaws such as knots, rot, cracks, bug holes, weird grain, etc. You'll often run into nails and fence staples and my sawyer ran into a bullet once. Sometimes an entire large billet will be worthless for instrument building. When I buy logs or large billets I figure on losing at least half. It makes more sense to buy planed planks where you can see most of the defects or even buying sets. Sure it costs more but in the end you're probably saving money spending $175 on a 5A curly set. I wound up with such a large pile of "scrap" (mostly 1/4" planks and 2" X 3"s) I figured why not build a kitchen. My wife is happy to know I've got enough left to do a bathroom or two........ aaargh.

Aloha Chuck,
Competely awestruck on how beautiful that pineapple is, Jus love the rope binding and light and dark wood inlay..
Well all your work is amazing and that kitchen included, your wife must be very happy!!! Thanks for sharing!!
Maybe one day, for me....MM Stan...

Can you say "most expensive kitchen cabinets in the world?"

This reminds me of going on a drive up to Hearst Castle. We stopped in a little art community just south of Cambria. As soon as I walked in this shop that was about 250 sf, I noticed the massive checkout counter. It was 100% Koa! I asked the person at the counter if they realized how much that counter cost and she told me the story of how the owner came into possession of the wood and had the counter made. For the life of me I can't remember how he got it.

I hope you're working on a spec uke here and there Chuck. My 50th Bday is coming up!

Beautiful pineapple uke! How does it sound in comparison to your more traditional concert uke?

Top Bottom