Looking to buy a Risa Concert Uke-Solid.

GalootNY

Reaction score
I'm no longer looking to buy a Risa Concert Uke-Solid. I ordered one directly from Rigk at Risa in Germany. Thanks anyway. Jerry.

Last edited:
I highly recommend buying one brand new from www.ukulele.de

First reason, the above auction is NOT good value for a USED Uke-stick.
Second reason (perhaps more important), new Risa uke-sticks from www.ukulele.de now come with GEARED tuners.
All the previous models have friction tuners, which IMO are a pain to use.

And the friction tuners on a Uke stick do not provide any advantage that a friction tuner may have on a traditional uke (headstock weight reduction nor looks)

Yes, I saw the one on Ebay, but, frankly, it costs almost the same to have one shipped new from Germany to New York with the improved tuning pegs and warranty than to buy this one on Ebay with no warranty and old tuning pegs. I was hoping that someone might be upgrading their concert uke-solid and looking to sell their old one at a reasonable price. I already have a soprano, and since I tend to play soprano more than concert, I figured that I'd just get a used one to noodle around with for less money. But if the money is going to be the same for an old one as a new one, it makes no sense to buy the one on Ebay. In fact, I'm surprised that it bid up so high. Thanks.

When I posted the link, the price was much lower than the ending price. I agree that the selling price was impressive.

If you've played a RISA stick, you may understand that geared tuners are of little value. Buyers wanted them, I think because of the stubborn tuning of the sticks. They behave as if the friction tuners are balky. In reality, it's the routing of the strings around the chrome bar beneath the bridge that creates the difficulty. Geared tuners don't help. A re-design of that bar would definitely help.

Ingrate, that is all true, but I have found that a little graphite on the bar and strings takes care of the problem. But with that said, if given the choice, I'd prefer the newer tuners. So, again, if anyone out there has a Risa Uke-Solid concert for sale at a reasonable price, please let me know. Thanks.

Ingrate, that is all true, but I have found that a little graphite on the bar and strings takes care of the problem. But with that said, if given the choice, I'd prefer the newer tuners. So, again, if anyone out there has a Risa Uke-Solid concert for sale at a reasonable price, please let me know. Thanks.

Graphite on the bar & strings? That's a great tip. Mahalo.

I acknowledge there is some 'slip' issue with the geared tuners too.
However, the main reason I disliked friction tuners is the characteristic of all friction tuner - the 1:1 ratio turning.
It drove me up the wall each time. I could not enjoy the instrument because it would be such a fuss to tune up each time.

But I understand some people don't mind Friction tuners at all.
I won't go as far as saying they're completely obsolete, because they provide a minor advantage in traditional ukes of reducing headstock weight, and having a classic appearance. On a Uke-stick, where the tuners are not located at the "head" of the uke, nor have a classic look to begin with, they're a bit redundant when geared tuners are relatively easier to tune.

Top Bottom