PDA

View Full Version : Using chromatic clip on for Soprano Uke?

UKULELEz
10-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Hey guys, i just got my soprano uke two days ago and its the first instrument ive ever attempted to play. Im so confused. I really have no idea where to start, or what to do. I have a chromatic tuner though that clips on. I read the instructions and i dont know what the a4 is supposed to be? (or what that even means?) And i also have the option of changing the flat (again, no idea?) If i hit flat, the flat symbol comes up up to four times. How many flat symbols should i have?

Kind of stupid questions, i know, but i figure if i dont get them out of the way ill never be able to start.

Lori
10-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Welcome to UU!
You don't want to use the flat or sharp adjustments. They are helpful if you have to match an out of tune piano, and maybe some other things I haven't thought of yet. So no flats or sharps should be added for standard tuning adjustments.

The string nearest you is G, followed by C, E, A. The C note (open 3rd string) is middle C on the piano and also known as C4, which is the 4th C (going from left to right, on the full piano keyboard.

Try some online tuners to get your note by ear in the right octave. Then use your tuner to get it adjusted to the exact pitch. Hope that helps.

–Lori

mm stan
10-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Aloha Ukulelez,
Welcome to the UU and our humble forums....and the ukulele
I haven't seen or know what brand tuner you have....
As for the A4 it could mean middle A that is considered the standard pitch in amercia now, at 440Hz
As for the sharps and flats as Lori suggested press the button until you see no Symbols of the on the display
as you don't need them yet. do you have a pointer or a digital display??? on both ways go to the middle "O"
I hope it helps, Good Luck! MM Stan...

Big Bob
10-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Welcome to UU.Go to youtube.com and search for ukulele clip on tuner,you can see exactly how to use your clip on.