Kala PINEAPPLE and WATERMELON soprano ukulele

KevinTJH

Reaction score
I'm a guitar and bass player who's moving on to a new instrument.

I found a love for these novelty ukuleles as they're quite affordable for a beginner, sound decent, and put a smile on everyone's faces.

My only concern in the paintjob. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I really like the watermelon one, but the paintjob looks really cheap on some google images. Or I might get the pineapple one :eek:

I would love to hear some feedback from those who own them!

Attachments

• Kala Novelty Ukuleles.jpg
    Kala Novelty Ukuleles.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 36
I have the pineapple, it's a few years old & the only thing I see is it has black paint on the edge of the fingerboard & it is wearing off down to the rosewood, no biggie. The rest is like new, I keep it hanging by my desk & play it alot.

Thanks for the responses.

I have the pineapple, it's a few years old & the only thing I see is it has black paint on the edge of the fingerboard & it is wearing off down to the rosewood, no biggie. The rest is like new, I keep it hanging by my desk & play it alot.
I notice that the pineapple seems to have more than one colour.

The one in this link looks slightly yellowish:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?do=picture&groupid=87&attachmentid=11192

There's one on ebay which is an awful dark brown:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...6&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_2511wt_913

Are those 2 different in colour or is it just the lighting? What's yours like?

PLEASE REPLY ASAP :)

Some of those ebay listings are kinda dark, I think all the pineapples are the same but I am really not sure about that. I have mine in some of my ebay listings & the color is pretty true, you can check it out.

But the lighting on the ebay link looks pretty bright. Does the colour of your pineapple appear darkish brown when it's in non-yellowish light?

By the way I love your ukulele hooks! Might consider getting some when I buy more ukuleles

I just googled Kala pineapple ukulele & selected pictures only & I saw some with green in them, mine has no green at all so they must have different ones or newer models, mine is more lighter then many I have seen recently.

Green? I don't recall seeing any green on them. Anyway, I just sent an email to Kalaukuleles, asking them about the variations in colours.

I personally like the one you have a lot, not a big fan of the darker brown ones from what I've been seeing. Thanks anyway

Yeah the green looks pretty cool actually. If you dont get a reply from Kala there are some ukulele dealers here on UU that will know I'm sure.

Yeah the green looks pretty cool actually.
Haha. I think you're referring to the KIWI ukulele. I actually liked the watermelon ukulele more than the pineapple, but the paintjob looks pretty messy.

I've made up my mind with getting the pineapple. I'm hoping I'll like it though.
I'll probably make my own watermelon ukulele end of the year.

They look better in person. But make sure you buy it from a reputable uke dealer who will include a setup, because the watermelon one I played at a local store had the nut installed at like a 20° angle to the top of the fretboard, making the intonation wonky.

They look better in person. But make sure you buy it from a reputable uke dealer who will include a setup, because the watermelon one I played at a local store had the nut installed at like a 20° angle to the top of the fretboard, making the intonation wonky.

Check MGM on ebay (Musicguymic) he sells tons of Kala ukes, and I have seen this in his listings (Pineapple) Deal with him and you will get the uke set up, aquila strings all ready to go and delivered fast!

Thanks for the responses

Here is the one I saw, and after a second look maybe I dont like it so much. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41X99MBMRzL.jpg
Ooooew... That one looks more like a rotten pineapple to me. I really hope I don't get one looking like that!

I thought people said these had good factory setup straight out of the box.
Anyway, the second seller is selling their pineapple with a free setup, but it's US$14 more. Do you think I should go for it?
The name of the seller is UKEKING.

I've checked out MGM's listings, but they don't seem to sell that particular pineapple at the moment.
I'm in a bit of a hurry to buy it now because of the current good exchange rate. Could save me quite a few dollars :)

Last edited:
I thought people said these had good factory setup straight out of the box.
Anyway, the second seller is selling their pineapple with a free setup, but it's US$14 more. Do you think I should go for it?
The name of the seller is UKEKING.

I ordered a Sunburst Makala Dolphin from UKEKING on eBay, and it was fine.

–Lori

I ordered a Sunburst Makala Dolphin from UKEKING on eBay, and it was fine.

–Lori
I just bought it from UKEKING. The difference of $14 for a free setup (or so they claim) and a gig bag sounds like a good deal to me.

I really hope that I get a nice yellow-ish pineapple though, not one of those nasty dark-brown ones.

Last edited:
Even though we live in the digital age the photos are still affected by light, angles and reflections. I think Kala only has one model of the silk screened pineapple but as it is applied to each model it may vary slightly also. Here's a pic of mine for reference.
pineapple4.jpg

I have the pineapple, have had it for about a year, still looks perfect. Kala makes good quality stuff. If you can't afford a Hawaiian Koa Uke (like most of us) and must settle for a Chineese made uke, Kala is by far the best. I would recommend buying from Music Guy Mike on Ebay. I have bought 3 Kala's from him and he is awsome. Good luck, hope this helps.

Even though we live in the digital age the photos are still affected by light, angles and reflections. I think Kala only has one model of the silk screened pineapple but as it is applied to each model it may vary slightly also. Here's a pic of mine for reference.
pineapple4.jpg
Now I think I'm quite convinced there is quite a variation in colour.

Here's ToucanMango's link:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/57672207/ukulele-wall-mount-hanger-hand-carved
His lighting seems a little darker than yours but his pineapple is a little more yellow.

Comparing with this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...6&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_2511wt_913
This is by far the DARKEST pineapple I've seen.

I have the pineapple, have had it for about a year, still looks perfect. Kala makes good quality stuff. If you can't afford a Hawaiian Koa Uke (like most of us) and must settle for a Chineese made uke, Kala is by far the best. I would recommend buying from Music Guy Mike on Ebay. I have bought 3 Kala's from him and he is awsome. Good luck, hope this helps.
Yea MGM seems like a great ukulele seller! But he doesn't seem to have to PSS pineapple in stock though, so I got it from UKEKING.

I have the watermelon, and it's a great novelty/folk art kinda thing that people like. It plays well, too. But as far as the artwork and paint job goes, it's not bad, but I could have done it better myself, I think. But since I'm not gonna, it's fine.
Yea I thought so. I'll be doing some paintjob on one of my guitars so I thought of getting a cheap ukulele to attempt my watermelon design as well. Should be a lot of fun!

Thank guys for all the helpful responses here :)

EDIT: Just in case some of you might be interested in this. According to KALA, the novelty ukuleles do vary in colour a little depending on the batch in which they were made. Some will come with white tuning heads while others with black.

Last edited:
Top Bottom