Uke vs. Guitar chords

emmythewonderful

Reaction score
Well I'm new to the uke and I wanted to know for sure if when looking up songs online to play if they are written for guitar can you just use those chords or is it in a different key and have to transpose it?

Try Chordie.com and you can look up the songs you'd like to learn. There is a feature that switches the chord diagrams from guitar to ukulele.
It's pretty cool.

Well I'm new to the uke and I wanted to know for sure if when looking up songs online to play if they are written for guitar can you just use those chords or is it in a different key and have to transpose it?

Yes a chord is a chord wheather its a Piano Guitar or a Ukulele. In terms of tabbing nope. A lot tab into ukulele though.

Aloha Emmy the wonderful,
Welcome to the UU and our humble forums...and the ukulele
Like prettiwiki said the chords are the same....whatever instrument you play..
Have fun and enjoy!!!! Check out MusicTeacher2010 and Keonepax for some awesome tutorials ..Jus google them
"Keep strumming them strings MM Stan

Last edited:
hi emmythe wonderful

wonderful idea joining the UU mate, and welcome from Australia!!! :eek:

Yep, like the guys have all said, a chord is a chord is a chord...no matter whether you're playing a mandolin, dulcimer, banjo or just playing the fool!

Great site here and there are many wise, knowledgable and caring people who are always willing to share their wisdom with those of us in need of it

I have only been a member for a couple of months and learnt so much already.

Enjoy your new instrument emmy, but most of all just enjoy the journey mate. see you on the trail! eugene:)

The chord shapes are the same, as the uke is tuned as per the top 4 strings of a guitar.

That said, its higher by 5 steps - A D shape chord on a guitar plays a G on the Uke

Top Bottom