If every baby that were born............

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
Loudon Wainright was on UK TV last night and he played a Flea for his Ukulele song. He made a brilliant comment: "If every baby that were born was issued a Ukulele at the time of their birth there would be world peace..............and a lot of lovely music". How right he is.

Ian.

G'day Ian, thanks for sharing mate. I agree...Loudon Wainwright is a long-time hero of mine. He is brilliant in so many ways but...

ukulele pic charlie brown_tmp.jpg

he had a predecessor :)

Wow, I wonder if he's seen that. Seems too much of a coincidence for him not to. Still a great quote though and very true.

I guess, along with Pete Seeger, Charles Schulz is my "hero amongst heroes". He seems to have profound reflections on life that seem to cover every subject.

But I'm with you totally Ian, for though he's well regarded, Loudon Wainwright is still not well regarded enough in my opinion. Apart from the obvious witty, clever and sometimes just heart wrenching lyrics he writes, his songs were always good to learn for a young person learning the guitar, because they weren't too complicated. His most recent recording, the 2CD tribute to Charlie Poole is just amazing...beautifully arranged, great musicians along for the ride...

Incidentally, what kind of flea was he playing?

Last edited:
Incidentally, what kind of flea was he playing?
Just a plain one in a blue/lilac colour.

Although I first heard him over 30 years ago I only really started listening to him about a year ago when I head a song on the radio I really liked, called Wino's (or similar). I got a compilation soon after. Have to admit I only recorded last night because I'd heard he was also a uke player and I was hoping he'd play one. Enjoyed the whole performance though.

Loudon Wainright was on UK TV last night and he played a Flea for his Ukulele song. He made a brilliant comment: "If every baby that were born was issued a Ukulele at the time of their birth there would be world peace..............and a lot of lovely music". How right he is.

Ian.

What channel was he on? If it was one of the main ones, I may be able to catch it on "catch up TV" and what show was it? Sorry to pester you with questions, just haven't seen a Ukulele player in the UK on mainstream TV that was Fireman Sam's Trevor! I know there is like a whole orchastra of Ukulele players here, but until I got into the Uke, had never heard of them!

Trevor Evans plays the Uke? Well I never. PUPS! (Pontypandy Uke Playes Society) lol.
He was on BBC4 last night, one of the BBC4 Session programmes. May be on iplayer possibly. Don't think it's repeated again this week but they do tend to show things many times on BBC4. No doubt will be on YouTube before long. There's also a thread on uk.lele about uke sightings on British TV.

Ian.

Trevor Evans plays the Uke? Well I never. PUPS! (Pontypandy Uke Playes Society) lol.
He was on BBC4 last night, one of the BBC4 Session programmes. May be on iplayer possibly. Don't think it's repeated again this week but they do tend to show things many times on BBC4. No doubt will be on YouTube before long. There's also a thread on uk.lele about uke sightings on British TV.

Ian.

Thanks, I am a meber of uk.lele will have to check it out! And will see if I can catch it on iPlayer and if not, then on Youtube!

Thanks, I am a meber of uk.lele will have to check it out! And will see if I can catch it on iPlayer and if not, then on Youtube!

I see you're from Swindon where XTC came from. I bet Senses Working Overtime would be a great Uke song. XTC are a vastly underrated band.

Ian.

Loud was great last night - hero of mine.

Top Bottom