PDA

View Full Version : I ordered...

joeybug
10-01-2010, 11:19 PM
...my new Ohana SK10S Sporano today! I also found a case for it that I could afford as well so that's that sorted. It comes with Aquilla strings and it says it's set-up so maybe they've already stretched them, maybe not, but it should be here in about 4-5 days :D

I promise to post pics when I get it and to post a video about how she sounds...just desperate to get my hands on her and see if it helps my songs that I can play sound better...I love Astrid (my purple Uke) but I do agree that she is cheaply made and hopefully the Aquilla strings on my new one will help bring out her best sound!

I have Abdigo strings on Astrid and they are a great improvement on the factory ones I did have, I have a spare packet because they're BOGO on eBay from a seller and plan to string Darla's Ukulele (which she will get on October 21st!) with them should she decide to play hers seriously, if she doesn't want to learn (and I think that's HIGHLY unlikely!) then I have some more of the cheap strings should she break one!

New Uke Day next week...EEKKK SO excited!!!

rock_and_roll_camera
10-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Congratulations! I know you've been waiting to get that uke... hope it comes sooner rather than later!

fitncrafty
10-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Congrats.. How exciting!! Can't wait for you to share photos and vid's!

Hippie Dribble
10-02-2010, 01:03 AM
looking forward to your review Joey...and,yes,I'm sure you'll be amazed at how much better your playing will sound...it'll give you confidence and motivation. Awesome news:)

Lexxy
10-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Time to update the signature, joey :P

joeybug
10-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Time to update the signature, joey :P

I plan to do that once it arrives :D

mm stan
10-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Aloha Joey,
Thanks for sharing the awesome news and congratulations...I know you been waiting a while to order it and I know
you're soo excited as well....betcha just can't wait...eh!!!wow only 4-5 days (business) that's kind fast...who did you
order it from? and set -up too, must have been MGM!!!but I still think you gotta break in the strings yourself...though
I know you'll be waiting for the mailman everyday when it gets close to that time...I know I definetly did!!!Don't
forget to let us know how it is and maybe some pic's too...then you'll be on another level of playing with it..
Have fun Girl!!! Way to gooooooo Take Care and God Bless!!!!Sending you the coolest vibes your way!!! Stan...

bobj
10-02-2010, 02:01 AM
How exciting!
I think we are all looking forward to it's arrival.

joeybug
10-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Aloha Joey,
Thanks for sharing the awesome news and congratulations...I know you been waiting a while to order it and I know
you're soo excited as well....betcha just can't wait...eh!!!wow only 4-5 days (business) that's kind fast...who did you
order it from? and set -up too, must have been MGM!!!but I still think you gotta break in the strings yourself...though
I know you'll be waiting for the mailman everyday when it gets close to that time...I know I definetly did!!!Don't
forget to let us know how it is and maybe some pic's too...then you'll be on another level of playing with it..
Have fun Girl!!! Way to gooooooo Take Care and God Bless!!!!Sending you the coolest vibes your way!!! Stan...

I ordered it from Southern Ukuleles in the UK :D I don't know if they'll send it today or if it'll go out Monday but some time next week should be New Uke Day!!! Plus I have that anonymous gift arriving soon, which will just add to my playing pleasure!

I do intend to take pics, record how she sounds and everything to share with you lovely people!

Joey

Chris Tarman
10-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Joey,
I'm really happy for you and can't wait to hear how you like your new ukulele! Waiting for one to arrive is NO FUN and seems to take FOREVER! But when it finally comes, it's a great feeling. Unfortunately, you'll still have to break-in the strings yourself. "Set up" usually means that the nut and saddle are adjusted so the action is good, and that the frets have been dressed. Luckily, the quickest way to break-in strings is to play the ukulele, and I know you'll be doing that!
Cheers!
Chris

molokinirum
10-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Hey joey, that is GREAT, we are all as excited as you waiting for that new uke to arrive!!! Really looking forward to seeing the pictures!!!!
Congrats!!!

joeybug
10-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Joey,
I'm really happy for you and can't wait to hear how you like your new ukulele! Waiting for one to arrive is NO FUN and seems to take FOREVER! But when it finally comes, it's a great feeling. Unfortunately, you'll still have to break-in the strings yourself. "Set up" usually means that the nut and saddle are adjusted so the action is good, and that the frets have been dressed. Luckily, the quickest way to break-in strings is to play the ukulele, and I know you'll be doing that!
Cheers!
Chris

Ah, I figured I'd have to break them in, still...I'm good at doing that, well practising anyway..I now have three more songs on my "to play" list, Hallelujah, Molokai Slide and Somewhere Over the Rainbow, so I'll definately be practising!

I shall do a video review as well as post pictures when she arrives, now I just have to name her!

joeybug
10-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Hey joey, that is GREAT, we are all as excited as you waiting for that new uke to arrive!!! Really looking forward to seeing the pictures!!!!
Congrats!!!

Thanks :D I'm still gonna play little Astrid because she was my first and I've come so far on her, but I think the Ohana will be the most played one in the house until Miss D gets hers and then she'll want me to play Astrid with her blue one! EEK! New Uke and I get to bring a smile to Miss D's face when she finds out she's got an Ukulele up in my room for her brithday!

Miss Michele
10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
That's great news! Enjoy! I'm looking to get another ukulele, as well. Just not sure what I want to get yet.

Miss Michele
10-02-2010, 05:27 PM
BTW..do you have a name for your new uke yet? ;)

ADD
10-02-2010, 07:00 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Hope so. I'm anxious for you to get your uke so we can see and hear her and find out her name.
You'll really enjoy the new one.

joeybug
10-02-2010, 11:10 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Hope so. I'm anxious for you to get your uke so we can see and hear her and find out her name.
You'll really enjoy the new one.

I'm leaning toward "Lilo" but I won't be sure until I hold her in my hands and feel if she is a "Lilo" or maybe something else. I didn't know Astrid was going to be Astrid until I'd played her a little..

joeybug
10-02-2010, 11:43 PM
That's great news! Enjoy! I'm looking to get another ukulele, as well. Just not sure what I want to get yet.

I know my new Ohana won't be the last one I buy, I'm hoping to have some money that I can use to a even better one than the Ohana, maybe on the "K" makers, but I won't know if I can until either Feb 2011 or if not then then October 2011...

Pippin
10-02-2010, 11:51 PM
I love Ohana ukes. They are great performers and great values.

Mandarb
10-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Congrats on the new uke. I know the wait is tough but hang in there. Look forward to pics. Good luck.

joeybug
10-03-2010, 12:08 AM
I love Ohana ukes. They are great performers and great values.

Glad to hear it :D

How does one get a hold of your Uke player magazine? Do you need to be in the States to receive it?

joeybug
10-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Congrats on the new uke. I know the wait is tough but hang in there. Look forward to pics. Good luck.

Thanks, should only be a few more days now, probably Wednesday/Thursday and Wednesday's I'm at home all day so hopefully I'll be here to get it and play it straight away!

Pippin
10-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Glad to hear it :D

How does one get a hold of your Uke player magazine? Do you need to be in the States to receive it?

The magazine is online in a PDF format. Here is the URL: http://www.tricornpublications.com/uke_player.htm

You can download all issues from that URL. The most recent issue is at the top of the list.

Enjoy.

joeybug
10-03-2010, 05:18 AM
The magazine is online in a PDF format. Here is the URL: http://www.tricornpublications.com/uke_player.htm

You can download all issues from that URL. The most recent issue is at the top of the list.

Enjoy.

Thanks! I've bookmarked and read the latest issue :D

Look forward to the next one!

joeybug
10-05-2010, 05:17 AM
SHE'S HERE!!!

I'd given up hope of her arriving today but she just did, here's some pics as I opened her!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Lilo001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Lilo002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Lilo003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Lilo004.jpg

Isn't she pretty? More to come!

joeybug
10-05-2010, 05:18 AM
More Photos:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Lilo008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Lilo005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Lilo006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/joeybug44/Ukulele%20Pictures/Lilo007.jpg

I will post a video once I'm off the oxygen, it's noisy and would cover up her beautiful sound!

fitncrafty
10-05-2010, 05:20 AM
Joey, I am SO excited for you!! This is GREAT!! I hope you are strumming soon!

joeybug
10-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Joey, I am SO excited for you!! This is GREAT!! I hope you are strumming soon!

I've had a play with her and I've learnt two things...ONE. Astrid NEEDS Aquilla's, the sound they make it just...WOW, didn't know how good they were until I played my Ohana (who I'm tentively naming Lilo) and TWO. I'm so glad I didn't go with the 35 one I found...this one is SO much better and SO worth the money!!

cletus
10-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Very pretty ukulele! Congratulations, and enjoy playing her.

BadLands Bart
10-05-2010, 05:33 AM
What a beauty!!! Congrats on your new uke!! Looking forward to the sound clip.

mm stan
10-05-2010, 05:34 AM
Aloha Joey,
Woo Woooooo...Congrats girl!!!!looks awesome.....I like the mahogany graining and the open geared tuners...I am
sooo happy for ya!!!!!!Now you got me excited tooo.....We would like to hear a song with it for this special occasion....
Give us more details girl!! We'll be waiting......Have Fun and enjoy!!!!MM Stan.....

joeybug
10-05-2010, 05:35 AM
Very pretty ukulele! Congratulations, and enjoy playing her.

Thanks, I love her already!

What a beauty!!! Congrats on your new uke!! Looking forward to the sound clip.

That'll be posted shortly, maybe later tonight or tomorrow morning (UK time) as I'm not sure how long I'll need the oxygen, but I wanted to record my strumming pattern for analysis and the new song I've learnt too so can combine that all :D

joeybug
10-05-2010, 05:36 AM
Aloha Joey,
Woo Woooooo...Congrats girl!!!!looks awesome.....I like the mahogany graining and the open geared tuners...I am
sooo happy for ya!!!!!!Now you got me excited tooo.....We would like to hear a song with it for this special occasion....
Give us more details girl!! We'll be waiting......Have Fun and enjoy!!!!MM Stan.....

I've been mastering "Hallelujah" and think once I'm off the pesky Oxygen I shall record that for you all to hear how wonderful she sounds!

fitncrafty
10-05-2010, 05:39 AM
I've had a play with her and I've learnt two things...ONE. Astrid NEEDS Aquilla's, the sound they make it just...WOW, didn't know how good they were until I played my Ohana (who I'm tentively naming Lilo) and TWO. I'm so glad I didn't go with the 35 one I found...this one is SO much better and SO worth the money!!

Congrats again... Isn't it lovely to have a new uke... and I put aquila's on my uke and it is an amazing difference... and really they aren't that expensive compared to other string instruments...

joeybug
10-05-2010, 05:49 AM
Congrats again... Isn't it lovely to have a new uke... and I put aquila's on my uke and it is an amazing difference... and really they aren't that expensive compared to other string instruments...

Thannks :D It's great, and my carer has said she'll buy some aquila's for Astrid on Thursday so hopefully she'll sound good too! They aren't expensive, b ut this is the most money I've spent on myself in about 4 years...and compared to other Uke's, it was cheap!

fitncrafty
10-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Thannks :D It's great, and my carer has said she'll buy some aquila's for Astrid on Thursday so hopefully she'll sound good too! They aren't expensive, b ut this is the most money I've spent on myself in about 4 years...and compared to other Uke's, it was cheap!

That's awesome... I bought some aquilas from ebay for my concert (only uke I have, haha) and they were under 6 bucks (american)

joeybug
10-05-2010, 06:23 AM
That's awesome... I bought some aquilas from ebay for my concert (only uke I have, haha) and they were under 6 bucks (american)

Yeah, they're 7 plus postage on eBay!

mds725
10-05-2010, 07:24 AM
Beautiful ukulele with a very nice grain pattern! I have an Ohana solid mahogany baritone. It has similar graining and I love the way it sounds. Congratulations!

ADD
10-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Oh Happy Day. (I think that's a song.) You'll have a grand old time now. I do so love the sound of mahogany ukes. Thanks for posting the unveiling of Lilo (unless you change her name). Will check back later to hear you play.

Joey, if the sound of oxygen is loud, you must be using a concentrator. Would be so quiet if you could use liquid O.

joeybug
10-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Oh Happy Day. (I think that's a song.) You'll have a grand old time now. I do so love the sound of mahogany ukes. Thanks for posting the unveiling of Lilo (unless you change her name). Will check back later to hear you play.

Joey, if the sound of oxygen is loud, you must be using a concentrator. Would be so quiet if you could use liquid O.

I am using a concentrator, and I don't think I'll post a video tonight, maybe in the morning once my chest has settled!

joeybug
10-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Sound Sample is uploading now, will wait to do a song until I can go longer than a few seconds without the oxygen!

joeybug
10-05-2010, 11:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFHK-K_fsmk

A sound sample of Lilo the Ohana SK10S

I apologise for the lack of tune, but I'm really not well tonight!

Chris Tarman
10-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Congratulations Joey! Now Astrid has a friend! And a lovely one, at that. I've never owned an Ohana, but I've played a few and they seem like really nice instruments. It'll take some playing to get those new strings to stay in tune, but the best way to do that is just to play her a LOT, and that shouldn't be a problem!
I hope you're feeling well enough to play her and get to know her, even if you're not up to singing for Youtube yet.
I love the "Mind The Gap" t-shirt, btw. I can remember just how the recorded voice at the Underground stations sounds!
Cheers,
Chris

finbar
10-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Congratulations on the new Ohana.:shaka: It's an amazing uke for the money & Southern Ukes give excellent service.
There is no looking back now, you're well and truely hooked.

So what are you buying next? ;)

finbar :cool:

bobj
10-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Hey Joeybug,
Congrats on getting Lilo (You have such awesome uke names! I can't seem to come up with the right name for mine. Although my daughter choose "Princess for her pink dolphin after about 3 seconds of thought)

Lilo looks and sounds great. It's kind of like Christmas for all of us :-) Waiting for your new uke.... fun fun fun.

Sorry you've felt a bit puny.. Hope you feel better real soon, so you can break in those new strings properly.

Looking forward to hearing your songs.

sukie
10-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Hey! Happy New Uke Day!!! It's lovely. Have fun with it.

GreatGazukes
10-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Yippee, I'm a looking forward to the happy adventures of JoeyB and Lilo and their formal debut! :)

mm stan
10-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Aloha JoeyB,
Thank you for shareing your awesome "Lilo" uke with us....It looks awesome and Asrid has company now...
Sorry to hear about your respirtory issues.....I hope you feel better soon!! I think it has a beautiful tone..
Have fun and enjoy!!!"Keep strumming them Strings" MM Stan

joeybug
10-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm feeling better this morning, probably because I got a heap of sleep and spent the night on O2 to be sure and I've tuned "Lilo" and am getting ready to practise with her :D

I should be up to videoing a song soon, just want to let the strings settle so she gives off the best sound!

joeybug
10-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Congratulations on the new Ohana.:shaka: It's an amazing uke for the money & Southern Ukes give excellent service.
There is no looking back now, you're well and truely hooked.

So what are you buying next? ;)

finbar :cool:

I'd love a Pineapple of some kind...but that'll take a LOT of saving and hoping and everything else!

Hippie Dribble
10-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Hi Joey

really really glad for you mate...that uke sounds awesome!!! "Love Me Tender" if I'm not mistaken? How exciting getting a new uke is...
I've just bought one too...the only way Fiona (my wife) would let me is cause I said I was buying for my daughter for Christmas....man the UAS turns you into one devious hombre...so now I have to resist playing and do the right thing...that's OK though cause my daughter is now officially hooked on the uke like the rest of us nuts here at UU, and it will be nice for her to have a good quality instrument.
Enjoy the journey with Astrid and Lilo!

take care of you. eugene

joeybug
10-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Hi Joey

really really glad for you mate...that uke sounds awesome!!! "Love Me Tender" if I'm not mistaken? How exciting getting a new uke is...
I've just bought one too...the only way Fiona (my wife) would let me is cause I said I was buying for my daughter for Christmas....man the UAS turns you into one devious hombre...so now I have to resist playing and do the right thing...that's OK though cause my daughter is now officially hooked on the uke like the rest of us nuts here at UU, and it will be nice for her to have a good quality instrument.
Enjoy the journey with Astrid and Lilo!

take care of you. eugene

Thanks Eugene :D

I may be infected with UAS, but I won't be buying another until I have some more money...I'm hoping to get a large sum in Feb 2011 which would pay for a nice Pineapple, probably a K one or maybe a Mainland, we'll see. In just over two weeks, Miss D will be getting her blue Ukulele for her birthday and she's already asking about lessons and such, I'm not going to force her to learn, just see where it takes her!

rock_and_roll_camera
10-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Congratulations Joeybug, so happy you finally got her and she's everything you wanted! She's lovely!

joeybug
10-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Congratulations Joeybug, so happy you finally got her and she's everything you wanted! She's lovely!

Thanks! Any closer to setting up that Uke group? I got an email from the group in Swindon and although they said I would be welcome, they gave the impression I was too "young" to be in their group, like to jam with people who don't care that I'm only 28!

rock_and_roll_camera
10-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Thanks! Any closer to setting up that Uke group? I got an email from the group in Swindon and although they said I would be welcome, they gave the impression I was too "young" to be in their group, like to jam with people who don't care that I'm only 28!

Too young at 28? Then theres no hope! No closer yet... well, I'm playing more now so hopefully still on schedule to get up and running around Feb/March. How much of a success it'll be though I can't say!?

joeybug
10-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Too young at 28? Then theres no hope! No closer yet... well, I'm playing more now so hopefully still on schedule to get up and running around Feb/March. How much of a success it'll be though I can't say!?

I know, it seemed so weird...I'd love to jam with you, even if it's just us, though I don't think that can be classed as "jammin", I'm seeing John Barrowman in concert tomorrow and my mum is having Miss D overnight so I was thinking about staying up for the UU jammin session which is usually at about 3am our time, I could sleep in the next day...just wanna jam with someone! But I guess I'm also still very much a beginner! And once I'm better at Ukein and I'm not at uni maybe I'll find someone to jam with...

In other words, you're my only jammin hope!!

fitncrafty
10-07-2010, 03:16 AM
Hey do you ever use skype? You could jam with friends over skype!

joeybug
10-07-2010, 03:21 AM
Hey do you ever use skype? You could jam with friends over skype!

I do use skype, but I also have no friends who play...other than all of you on here and I don't have them on my skype! But that's a great idea, I should so do that!

Penguinofsorts
10-07-2010, 03:36 AM
It sounds great, joeybug! Keep working on those chord changes, but I think you're doing very well! I am also 28 and am the youngest member in my ukulele group by at least 25 years. The average age right now seems to be about 75! We try to play a variety of songs, though, and playing ANYTHING with a group is great practice! I'm having a lot of fun with my group, and I hope you get the same chance!

joeybug
10-07-2010, 03:42 AM
It sounds great, joeybug! Keep working on those chord changes, but I think you're doing very well! I am also 28 and am the youngest member in my ukulele group by at least 25 years. The average age right now seems to be about 75! We try to play a variety of songs, though, and playing ANYTHING with a group is great practice! I'm having a lot of fun with my group, and I hope you get the same chance!

Thanks, I'm doing better at chord changes now, just a few slip me up! I'm sure I'll find a group of people to play with at some point!

Rzr
10-07-2010, 03:58 AM
I know, it seemed so weird...I'd love to jam with you, even if it's just us, though I don't think that can be classed as "jammin", I'm seeing John Barrowman in concert tomorrow and my mum is having Miss D overnight so I was thinking about staying up for the UU jammin session which is usually at about 3am our time, I could sleep in the next day...just wanna jam with someone! But I guess I'm also still very much a beginner! And once I'm better at Ukein and I'm not at uni maybe I'll find someone to jam with...

In other words, you're my only jammin hope!!

Are you 5 hours or 6 hours ahead of EST? 3am might be too early to get up. The minijam usually starts at about 9:30pm / 10:00pm EST (or daylight savings). It can can be quite slow stating off so you could easily wait an extra hour. The jam is more a place where people takes turns playing a song. There are some lag issues that make it nearly impossible for more then one player to play at a time. All are welcome and no one is forced to play. It's a wonderful group of people who are very supportive. I know that when I first heard of the minijam I thought people would be playing at the same time but like I said it's not like that. Some nights are busier then others and sometimes there are gaps in the songs. There is a chat with the video so sometimes people are just talking. Not always about ukulele. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. Everyone is quite friendly and like I said all are welcome. I have a lot of fun at the minijam and it's helped me with my playing. For me it's practice with an audience who can't throw things at me.

joeybug
10-07-2010, 04:25 AM
Are you 5 hours or 6 hours ahead of EST? 3am might be too early to get up. The minijam usually starts at about 9:30pm / 10:00pm EST (or daylight savings). It can can be quite slow stating off so you could easily wait an extra hour. The jam is more a place where people takes turns playing a song. There are some lag issues that make it nearly impossible for more then one player to play at a time. All are welcome and no one is forced to play. It's a wonderful group of people who are very supportive. I know that when I first heard of the minijam I thought people would be playing at the same time but like I said it's not like that. Some nights are busier then others and sometimes there are gaps in the songs. There is a chat with the video so sometimes people are just talking. Not always about ukulele. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. Everyone is quite friendly and like I said all are welcome. I have a lot of fun at the minijam and it's helped me with my playing. For me it's practice with an audience who can't throw things at me.

I'm 5 hours ahead of EST...which would make it about 4:30/5am if I was to get up, might try it one weekend, I got the feeling it would be a nice atmosphere since everyone ehre is so nice!

Rzr
10-07-2010, 04:29 AM
I'm 5 hours ahead of EST...which would make it about 4:30/5am if I was to get up, might try it one weekend, I got the feeling it would be a nice atmosphere since everyone ehre is so nice!

It's a very nice atmosphere. Friday nights are usually busier then Saturday nights.

joeybug
10-07-2010, 04:31 AM
It's a very nice atmosphere. Friday nights are usually busier then Saturday nights.

Might try it tomorrow then, go to bed after the concert and get up at around 5am and hope everyone hasn't gone to bed by then!

Rzr
10-07-2010, 04:43 AM
Might try it tomorrow then, go to bed after the concert and get up at around 5am and hope everyone hasn't gone to bed by then!

If you have any questions UkuleleHill knows what he is talking about. One thing when you log on. You will see everyones window including your own. If you move your mouse over your little sceen you will see a volume control show up. If you click the mic it will mute yourself. We all mute ourselves until we are ready to play so that no crazy echos occur.

joeybug
10-07-2010, 04:44 AM
If you have any questions UkuleleHill knows what he is talking about. One thing when you log on. You will see everyones window including your own. If you move your mouse over your little sceen you will see a volume control show up. If you click the mic it will mute yourself. We all mute ourselves until we are ready to play so that no crazy echos occur.

Okay, will try to remember that!

ADD
10-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Everyone is quite friendly and like I said all are welcome. I have a lot of fun at the minijam and it's helped me with my playing. For me it's practice with an audience who can't throw things at me.

That last line made me laugh. Definitely a safe environment. Is there any recommendation of what one needs to do this Skype thing? Technically challenged, but learning a few things lately.

fitncrafty
10-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Skype is a free video messenger service you can google it and download for free from their site. I use it all the time with my friend that lives in Italy. The joy is you can see and hear your friend! My mom has a friend that teaches guitar via skype! wow huh?
Once you install it you can search for and add friends and call when they are online. I have never played uke this way.. I went to the ukejam, once,never heard any uke playing just people typing who is fitncrafty and can you turn your mike down.. I felt bad and like I was causing issues for everyone else, so I just clicked out of there... you live you learn.. right?

good luck!

sukie
10-07-2010, 07:44 AM
I think the reason they said you may to be old enough is due to their style of music. It's just a guess. If I were you I'd go anyway if I wanted to jam with others. I don't really care all that much about the music that is played at our Uke Club, but I like the friendships and playing with other people. That's what it's really all about for me. The chance to get together with others.

joeybug
10-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Skype is a free video messenger service you can google it and download for free from their site. I use it all the time with my friend that lives in Italy. The joy is you can see and hear your friend! My mom has a friend that teaches guitar via skype! wow huh?
Once you install it you can search for and add friends and call when they are online. I have never played uke this way.. I went to the ukejam, once,never heard any uke playing just people typing who is fitncrafty and can you turn your mike down.. I felt bad and like I was causing issues for everyone else, so I just clicked out of there... you live you learn.. right?

good luck!

If anyone wants to add me on skype, my username there is joeybug too..I'm usually around, but not always avaliable!

Rzr
10-07-2010, 08:07 AM

good luck!

I hope you come back to the minijam sometime. What happened to you is why I mentioned the mute thing. I don't want anyone to feel unwanted and I know the whole "MUTE" thing when you first get there isn't the most welcoming. It's not meant to come across as yelling. An unmuted user will mess the sound up if someone is playing. It happens to everyone. It happened to me my first time too. Headphones are good to have if you are going to play.

ADD
10-07-2010, 06:34 PM

good luck!

Sounds like I need to get a new computer with a camera. Is that what you use or do you have some other kind of set up?

joeybug
10-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Sounds like I need to get a new computer with a camera. Is that what you use or do you have some other kind of set up?

I use a plug in webcam and have a microphone buiilt into my computer, so you can do without both but you'll only be able to hear and see the other person, rather than join in with them, but you can type instead of talking in skype so it's not a total loss..

You can buy a USB webcam for a small amount (over here it's between 5 and 25 not sure about the States) and plug it in, same goes for a microphone, either USB or one that plugs into the microphone jack on your PC, I find it best to get those with headsets, but I also only have one working USB port so can only plug in either my webcam or my USB headset or I can use my webcam and use the microphone built into the computer.

Hope that helps!

ADD
10-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll look into the webcam. The speakers on this old computer are pretty poor, so guess I should check on that too.

joeybug
10-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll look into the webcam. The speakers on this old computer are pretty poor, so guess I should check on that too.

Not a problem :D Hope to maybe see you on there one day!

fitncrafty
10-08-2010, 12:44 AM

I use my laptop... my daughter has one of those little netbooks and it works great too! A webcam is pretty inexpensive in the states though...