Martin Tenor 12 fret vs 14 fret???

Howie1947

Reaction score
Recently got a beautiful Martin Tenor for birthday. Noticed that it had 12 frets, went on furthur to research and found out that they made 14 fret tenors at some point in time. Question for those of you that are in the "know" about Martin tenors.............any sound or major difference in the 12 fret vs 14. Mine is is excellent condition for its age. Have some minor adjustments done at a local guitar shop. Thanks..........Howie

Aloha Howie,
I've had the 14 frets one style 1 with the black binding and played a 12 fret one.
the only difference is more fret to me on both I played..anyways how did your uke
come out on the action???? MM Stan

Aloha Howie,

Both are great. I've found that the 14 fret jointed Martin ukes are quite popular with both players and collectors since there are far fewer numbers of this model around. The 12 fret Martin, on the other hand, is also a great player but slightly less collectible in my experience.

Either way, killer birthday present. Happy belated birthday!
Shawn

http://ukulelefriend.com

Stan, It is still in the shop. Likely ready next week. I took the Worth strings out yesterday as you suggested. Do you ever hang out in the Waikiki area playing your uke?? I see you are 5 min from Waikiki. How long you been playing?? Do you give lessons? Mentor or coach other uke players?? Howie

There are some players that prefer the 12 fret sound over the 14 - the bridge placement is slightly different, and affect the box slightly differently. When my friend wanted me to build his Martin replacement, it was one of my 14 fret Tenors to replace his 12 fret Martin. No pressure. . .

BTW, he was constantly on the search for a 14 fret, since that's what his Custom Kamaka and his now "main" instrument have, but when he did find it, he didn't buy it.

Also, not too sure what it is about Martins, but his has the ugliest flatsawn 1-piece Mahogany back, yet the sound, well, let's say it certainly made use of his Savarez strings. Too bad it was time to retire it (better for me).

-Aaron

Top Bottom