Pulled the trigger on a new custom BR Tenor ukulele

monty

Reaction score
After looking around for what seems like a lifetime, i've finally chosen a luthier who I completely trust. Allen from Barron River guitars/ukuleles has been nothing but understanding to my countless questions, offered ideas of his own expertise but also tried to work whatever I wanted into the mix.

As I'm from Australia, I wanted a ukulele made of Aussie timbers because I think we're totally underrepresented on the world ukulele scene, and we have amazing luthiers/tonewoods. That said, I have always wanted a western red cedar custom... so I decided to blend the two together and get Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle back/sides, with the western red cedar top - I believe the neck will also be australian wood, with the fretboard/bridge made of ebony.

Here is a picture of the rough cut top with back/sides - i'm already in love!DSC_1445.jpgDSC_1442.jpg

Will keep you all posted on the progress... it'll be an impatient few weeks for me i'm sure!

Monty

My worthless opinion is that you have done real well going the local route. Support for local craftsmen and local products is seriously lacking in this world. Not to mention dodging the tax man... Outstanding choice. I have no doubt that you will be pleased.

Take care,
Thomas

I went the local route as well. (woods/luthier)

I'm really impressed with that stunning Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle.

Now the waiting starts...

One of my favorite woods is Tasmanian Blackwood a close cousin of Koa. We have some growing in Hawai'i now.

G'day and Aloha Monty,
So you've been keep youself under the radar over here, glad to hear Allen starting to put it together...
What an awesome combination, should have a nice warm balanced sound.......Betcha just can't wait
and you're soooo excited.....I can't wait for your review and video...Keep us informed of it's progress.
Man that grain looks killers....Thanks for sharing....Cheers, MM Stan..

Last edited:
As someone who tried and failed to source Tasmanian hardwoods for my own custom, all I can say is yummy.

Thanks for the kind words gang.

@Pulelehua - Tim Spittle at australiantonewoods.com has fantastic woods at good prices, its where these babies were sourced and i'd recommend him everytime.

The wait is killing me, its only been 2 days and already i've googled my wood combinations countless times to get an idea to how it'll sound. Interestingly, I cant find a single mention to a uke with my exact combination - I think I may have stumbled onto a world first! yay!

Yay! Wow! Excited for you and anxious to see this combo and even more so to hear it. Satin or gloss on that tiger?

wow Monty...looks really lovely mate...seems that your patience will be rewarded in spades!

I have a Cole Clark "Ukelady" soprano that is made wholly from Tassie Blackwood and I agree, you don't hear of many Australian timbers being used in ukulele builds.

Western Red Cedar and Tasmanian Myrtle, what a great combination. Hope you do post some sound bites for us when it's ready. Many will be extrememly interested.

Eagerly awaiting pics. cheers mate. eugene.

Hey guys, new progress pictures!
Its coming along so fast, I can barely contain my excitement. The grain on this wood is just astonishing, I cant imagine how good it'll be under finish. Hope you all like it as much as I do.
MontyDSC_1622.jpgDSC_1633.jpgDSC_1619.jpg

Hey guys, new progress pictures!
Its coming along so fast, I can barely contain my excitement. The grain on this wood is just astonishing, I cant imagine how good it'll be under finish. Hope you all like it as much as I do.
MontyView attachment 16816View attachment 16817View attachment 16818

Aloha and G'Day Monty,
To say the least, thats a looker and I'm sure you'll get alot of attention from it even before playing....Congrats Buddy!!!! any idea of a pick-up yet????MM Stan...
MiSi??hmmm....

Top Bottom