Rogue Baritone Uke...

Brewerpaul

Reaction score
I posted this on a Baritone Uke thread on the Beginner's forum, but thought I'd post it here in case anyone here doesn't check the Beginner's. For anyone who's been curious about a Baritone but doesn't want to spend much, this is a steal for $29 at music123.com

My Rogue came today, and after only a few minutes of play I'm very happy with it.
OK, it'll never fool anyone into thinking it's a handmade uke, but for $29 it sounds surprisingly good. The strings are still stretching so I'm constantly retuning.
The sprayed matte finish is not TOO terrible,although there are some noticeable flaws including one pretty scratchy area near the heel of the neck. The "binding" and "purfling" are merely painted on. The fingerboard and bridge are likewise simply black painted wood.
The neck is quite comfortable, with nice smooth fret ends. Part of the nut looks inexplicably melted, and the ends are a bit sharp, but a couple of strokes with sandpaper should take care of that.
I needed more instruments like I need a hole in the head, what with guitars,ukes, a fiddle, two mandolins, a concertinas, multiple folk/ethnic flutes, recorders, and of course many pennywhistles. Still, this is one uke voice that I didn't have and as a guitar player I really like it. For $29 including shipping I most definitely feel like I've gotten my money's worth.
I plan on playing the stock strings for a while, then switching to the Martins that I ordered along with the uke.

Some people may knock rogue, but I have a lot of nice ukes and my rogue soprano can keep up with the $100 -$150 ukes on sound and volume. I am happy to see that there are people who are willing to take a chnace on a $30 instrument and willing to tell people it is ok.
Thanks

Aloha BrewerPual,
So you make some good suds...hmmm or jus drink um....
Well you know my sentiments already......it was my first ukulele and it still is my daily player both the soprano annd baritones..
Over the years I've had and played the premimum stuff, but I just seem to go back to these ukes...I just like the sound
comfort and playability out of them...I just drop them down a step and they sing.....they're gems!!!In the hot rod world,
I guess you'd call them sleepers as they blow all the other expensive ones away......If you want to show off you buy an
expensive one, if you want to play to enjoy, get one of these...they're so inexpensive, just should give them a chance and
like the ukulele...you're hooked! Even I heard MGM mention, at home he plays a china ukulele and enjoys it.....What does
that say???Hmmm. MM Stan..

Stan-- alas, no more making brew, although it's been easier to just keep the Brewerpaul name. Once I started making wooden pennywhistles about 10 years ago (see my signature) I simply don't have time. I still enjoy a good beer though :)

I just picked up one of these from Musicians Friend for 30 bucks and I am pretty happy with it.

Out of the box fit and finish are what you might expect from a 30 dollar uke, lots of globbed up paint on the fret board, the saddle is too big and protrudes off each side of the bridge.

The neck is not a continuous smooth profile, I may sand a bit away on the treble side to even things out.

But these things aside this is quite a fine value uke, the action is really decent, I may take it down a bit when I change strings but it is quite playable.

The intonation is close to spot on and the feel is nice.

I am new to the ukulele so I am not too sure about the quality of the strings, the D and G are wound while the B and E are plain and I am pretty sure it will be to my benefit to change them out sometime soon.

I have been playing for a little over a month and thought this would be a nice intro to a baritone, it is definitely fun and a bit more guitar like but when I upgrade to a nicer uke I doubt it will be a baritone.

The tenor size is really comfortable for me but I actually ordered a Hulala Ocean Dancer Concert from Ukerepublic so I can get a feel for that size.

The ukulele is so much fun to play and it is quite addictive.

Top Bottom