Stringing a baritone to G,C,E,A

BBMS

Reaction score
I teach middle school guitar classes and thought including ukulele would be fun, so I acquired 2 concert, 2 tenor, and 4 baritone ukes. The baritones are old (over 30 years), and I ordered strings to match the pitch of the concert and tenors, so the students would be learning the same things. The one item I neglected to learn was, is the G,C,E,A stringing at a higher tension than the original D,G,B,E? I started to think I may have tuned them an octave too high, but the lower pitch feels too sloppy. Thanks! Mark

I don't know much about this, but I think that if you bought GCEA string sets made especially for a baritone ukulele, you should be fine.

Standard baritone tuning is DGBE. There are, however, sets of baritone strings available that will allow the baritone to be tuned higher up to GCEA. These strings will not put any more tension on your baritone than a set intended for DGBE tuning as they will be slightly smaller in diameter, string for string.

Do not tune a set of strings on a baritone that are intended for DGBE tuning to GCEA tuning as that might apply too much tension on the instrument and bad things might happen.

A set of standard baritone strings intended for DGBE tuning can be used for GCEA tuning using only the G, B, and E strings from the set. For the 4th high A string, use a string slightly smaller in diameter than the E string.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies! I have Aquila 23U strings, which are for the A,C,E,G tuning. My problem is, when tuned at what I thought it should be, the tension is higher than a baritone with "normal strings" (D,G,B,E), but to tune an octave lower results in "floppy" strings and sound. Never having heard a baritone tuned "A,C,E,G," I wanted to make sure which was correct. The question is, should a baritone, when strung with 23U strings, sound the same octave as a tenor or concert? Thanks again! Mark

Last edited:
If you have baritone strings for GCEA tuning, the notes will be the same as the GCEA tunings on either your tenor or concert. It should have a fuller sound due to the larger body size of the baritone.

Yes, if you tune it down an octave, you will have floppy strings.

Hoping this information helps.

Thanks for your replies! I have Aquila 23U strings, which are for the A,C,E,G tuning. My problem is, when tuned at what I thought it should be, the tension is higher than a baritone with "normal strings" (D,G,B,E), but to tune an octave lower results in "floppy" strings and sound. Never having heard a baritone tuned "A,C,E,G," I wanted to make sure which was correct. The question is, should a baritone, when strung with 23U strings, sound the same octave as a tenor or concert? Thanks again! Mark

I think Aquilla's just wrote the GCEA backwards...not sure if it's a misprint or mistake of AECG...

If you drop the tuning a step, it will become a fuller and warmer sound or tone and slows the tempo..and yes the strings will be
more floppy, but some players like it for the comfort and playability and bending the strings...
For me I prefer mine tuned at: D-30,F#+50/G-50, B-50, E-40 Good Luck and enjoy, MM Stan....

Last edited:
I recently switched out the strings on my Bari with Southcoastukes linear strings, and wow, I really like them. You don't have to worry about finding different strings for the G string, and the sound is awesome. I probably won't use any others on my Bari. And yes, I do prefer the GCEA tuning over The DGBE on my Bari. Just personal preferences. They all sound good if you are a tru uker. Lozark

What you ought to do is capo up the baritones at the fifth fret. Then they will be playing the same things as the GCEA people, and they can see the relationship between the baritone and the soprano.

And you will have the regular strings on there if you want to teach them ensemble playing.

Aquila

I think Aquilla's just wrote the GCEA backwards...not sure if it's a misprint or mistake of AECG...
That's what the package states. I was a little :confused: myself when I picked up the strings!

What you ought to do is capo up the baritones at the fifth fret. Then they will be playing the same things as the GCEA people, and they can see the relationship between the baritone and the soprano.

And you will have the regular strings on there if you want to teach them ensemble playing.

If I put a capo on the fifth fret, that would leave me about 4" of playing room! (Nine frets before effectively running out of fingerboard!)

Top Bottom