Which music theory book?

MoreUke

Reaction score
Hi

So what do I know about music? Can probably be written on the head of a pin and still have room left over. Basically I can look at music and figure out which note is written. That is about it.

I know there are keys in music and have nothing to do with locks. But how many and why there are different ones I don't have a clue. I know there are chords but what they are and how they get their names I also don't know.

As you can see I am at an elementary level. I'm looking for a book that I can purchase that will teach me the basics. I think I would like to learn how to take music in one key and be able to put it in another key. I've seen something about a circle, I think I want to know more about that.

So I'm looking for a good (well written and easy to understand) book that will enlighten me. I would appreciate suggestions or opinions of the suggestions.

Thank you.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

Hi MoreUke

I think the best ukulele based book re music theory is called "Fretboard Roadmaps" by Fred Sokolow and JimBeloff. It covers all the things you mention, and does it in a way that is understandable. If you are new to music theory, it may take a little while to get your head around, but you will find it's worth persisting with, and carries within its pages, stuff that will offer assistance for a lifetime of fun with the ukulele.

cheers and all the best. eugene

fretboard roadmaps is pretty good to making you become a solid intermediate player--perhaps slightly advanced depending on what you consider to be advanced.

If you want a book for learning theory in general, which can be applied to the uke or any other instrument, take a look at something like Music Theory for Dummies. Another good one is Mark Levine's Jazz Theory Book, although it's a bit more advanced.

JJ

I second the recommendation for Understanding Ukulele Chords. That's a wonderfully organized and concise presentation--that is ukulele oriented. Another book that is not uke specific but is good, complete and not too taxing is: Edly's Music Theory for Practical People by Ed Roseman. I got flummoxed by Roadmaps because the first exercises it threw at me required me to do an E chord shape. I couldn't do them at that time. Guess I should go back now and figure out what I missed.

I also would recommend Understanding Ukulele Chords (UUC). Fretboard Roadmaps (FR) is good, but I like UUC better. I was already somewhat familiar with music theory, but it was still very helpful.

FR has a few things in it that I think could have been done better. For the song samples, the chord shapes at the bottom often vary without explanation. It seems to just teach the shapes, where UUC teaches the roles of the notes within in the shapes, so you actually can understand what you're doing and why you're doing it.

One other thing that bothers me about FR is that the Circle of Fifths is backward from the way I usually see it. It's still "accurate" but it's just backward.

Jason

One other thing that bothers me about FR is that the Circle of Fifths is backward from the way I usually see it. It's still "accurate" but it's just backward.

I guess you could just think of it as a Circle of Fourths then. :)

JJ

P.S. Ah yes, music theory jokes! Just one more reason to learn it...

Another good web site is "Ricci Adams' MusicTheory.net" - definitely worth looking at, and it's free.

Top Bottom