Is it me or something else?

Keef

Reaction score
Normaly I practice a song I made up inside in a dim room then I play it really fast like a rock star envisioning thousands of fans screaming for more :)
But tonight after dinner I took it outside and sat on a lawn chair and just stared into a oak tree as the wind slowly made it sway and I played the very same song really slooow and it sounded great. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

No, you're not alone. I practice inside (I don't imagine the screaming fans bit, I'm a beginner and the fans would have to be very tolerant) and about once a week I sit outside and serenade a big gum tree we have in the back yard. I really try to get clear notes and even strumming so as to impress the gum tree, and sometimes it waves with me and hisses approval as the wind runs through the leaves. It's a great listener. I'm sure when I play a little better I'll be doing the dim room and a million fans thing too, I don't have any trouble imagining myself doing that :)

Bruce in Adelaide

Bruce I only have a few thousand imaginary fans how did you get a million? You must have a better amaginary agent :D

There's only one thing worth wanting - and that's everything. Can you see the the filled stadium, with big screens in parks all round the city so the overflowing crowd don't miss out, and the blue light reflecting off the faces of the rapturous throng as they watch you beamed live to their homes, smiling and nodding along and jiggy dancing as you belt out a third encore, perspiration running down your face, and the energy of the music driving you on? Yes, you can.

Wow all that can happen by plinking on fishing line?
Life is good :)

Aloha Keef,
Practicing in a serene location makes you relaxed and play relaxed..when playing slowly it makes the notes ring out more and sound so much more sweeter than fast and hard
sorta like difference in making love and sex....he he

Bruce I only have a few thousand imaginary fans how did you get a million? You must have a better amaginary agent :D
Well, you're obviously going for a more intimate experience with your audience. :) Would you rather see your favorite band at a small club or some huge stadium where you need binoculars to tell who's who on stage?

Aloha Keef,
Practicing in a serene location makes you relaxed and play relaxed..when playing slowly it makes the notes ring out more and sound so much more sweeter than fast and hard
sorta like difference in making love and sex....he he

Duly noted. Cheers!

Highway to Hell sounds good at any speed.

Try the Chipmunk version.

Hi Keef,

I reckon you've tapped into a really important point here.

I think, often at live shows anyway, band's can tend to play at breakneck speed, which is good in that context.

I think too, that as ukulele players, we can be sucked in to thinking that playing on overdrive will somehow be more impressive to a listener and they will think we are more highly skilled simply by virtue of playing at speed.

What is inherent though in this approach, is an unspoken or implicit belittling of the ukulele as a serious musical instrument, and misses the exact point that you made so well: we sometimes need to let the music "breathe" a little more, there is as much power in the spaces in between as there is a relentless right hand attack on the strings. For me, the longest lasting musical experiences are built on what is left out rather than on what is put in...there is just so much more room to respond on an emotional level.

cheers mate. eugene

I dont picture myself as a rockstar....

if I'm with anybody else, I picture myself on stage, maybe infront of a few hundred... and everyone moves with the music..

OR, I'm in a film clip... and the person that's always on my mind, is watching it constantly for hours on end.... makes the music sound so much better

Normaly I practice a song I made up inside in a dim room then I play it really fast like a rock star envisioning thousands of fans screaming for more :)
But tonight after dinner I took it outside and sat on a lawn chair and just stared into a oak tree as the wind slowly made it sway and I played the very same song really slooow and it sounded great. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Yeah Keef,
I am working on two finger picking patterns, a 4 note and a 6 note. So, every song I can manage a strum to, I swap the picking pattern for the strum pattern, usually at a slower tempo. It's interesting what you come up with by using different techniques, tempo's and, in your case a different mental and emotion place. Thanks for sharing that. DAP

Top Bottom