Comparison Uke videos

Pippin

Reaction score
I have two comparison videos I made for Ukulele Player Magazine.

In the first, it is a comparison between three solid Hawaiian Koa ukes. Namely these:
Oscar Schmidt OU280SWK, their top-of-the-line instrument.
Ohana CK-300G, beautiful uke, traditional sound.
KoAloha KSM-T2 long-neck soprano (tenor-scale neck).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii1_qlr5I1U

In the second, I compare the Ohana SK-50 and the Ohana SK-70 (these are two brand new models. I don't think that they are even on the website yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qCGN6jq5A

Was looking at cedar for my wifes next uke (she thinks my cedar is a bit punchy)...think I better look at Mango (she really likes a warm tone).
Great videos, but what I really want to know is how you play with one on your lap without dropping it- amazing ;)
On second look- I am thinking the Koa CK-300 is probably a good option as well (though I have heard Mango and koa are close- any thoughts?)

Last edited:
I am thinking the Koa CK-300 is probably a good option as well (though I have heard Mango and koa are close- any thoughts?)

Mango and koa are distinctly different in tone. Mango is typically a lot quieter and most mango ukes, including Kala, are laminated. Koa is typically brighter and much punchier. It has a higher grain density and the result is a sturdier wood. Mango ukes are often spalted, too, which looks interesting, but also means the wood is softer, being partially "rotted" (stable and safe to use, just a bit softer). Of the two, there really is little similarity.

Last edited:
Very nice comparison video! I think these types of reviews are very helpful, since you can really compare one along side another, with the same recording set-up for each. Are you planning on doing a regular series of these? I would definitely want to see more of these in the future, and it would make a nice addition to the online Ukulele Player Magazine.

–Lori

Very nice comparison video! I think these types of reviews are very helpful, since you can really compare one along side another, with the same recording set-up for each. Are you planning on doing a regular series of these? I would definitely want to see more of these in the future, and it would make a nice addition to the online Ukulele Player Magazine.

–Lori

Lori, thanks for the feedback. I had similar comments on another forum. Yes, I hope to do more comparison-type videos. I believe that they are more beneficial because people can get a good impression of the differences between similar instruments. Louis Wu from Ohana Ukuleles thought that the tonal comparison of the SK-50 and SK-70 ukes was really great. I wanted people to hear the difference at the time of purchase and also consider the tone after the uke matures.

Thanks for the feedback, Lexxy. I am planning more of these videos. Now that I have had several requests.

Top Bottom