Luthiers...

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am considering having a Uke built. For those that have read the thread about the historic Hawaiian Cuban Mahogany tree that had to be taken down this is related. I have made contact with the gent that is milling the cuban mahogany from that tree, and he is inquiring to the owner of the wood on making available wood in "kit" form from this tree to have a ukulele built from it from a Luthier of my choice.

Now what I need is a Luthier to consider for the project. Any reccomendations for a good luthier that would be interested in building me a uke from the cuban mahogany from this tree? I want to be fair to the builder, but disabled on a fixed income, and I am not even sure yet what the cost will be to obtain the wood (it is being looked into by the gent in Hawaii that harvested the wood), But, would like to find a luthier that will do a good job, fair price quote so I can put together a budget to have such a uke built. It will be a Soprano size.

At any rate, any recommendations?

thanks

I'd ask "the gent that is milling the cuban mahogany" if he has any friends that build a fine uke (and I happen to know he does), and have him do the handoff...
You can have first right of refusal, etc.

Hell, he might even know of some nice ukes already in existance that you could be playing next week....

As a builder, I really don't like to have my materials picked for me, even if it is something really special... ;)

And as a tonewood supplier, I won't even go there, for that very reason....

YMMV...

Moving to the Ukulele Building/Luthier's Lounge Forum . . . I think you'll get more feedback/replies.

I have not followed the other thread you mention but if the log is just now being milled then it will be a number of years (if air drying) before the wood will be suitable for building. This should also be taken into consideration.

they have already built some ukes and furniture with the wood. I am not sure when it was harvested, but they did mention it taking a year per inch thickness to dry. that said, it is dried, and being used as we speak.

Point taken about a local builder to the guy milling the wood. I actually would prefer that really. My problem is, my fixed income and depending on what the wood costs me to aquire, it may be a few months to a year or so before I could afford to pay to have one built from it. It all depends on cost, and budget. My 1st priority is to secure the wood from this particular tree for the uke. Then to next to find someone that will use this wood to build my special uke.

Top Bottom