Exposing Class of 73 to the Ukulele

Dominator

Reaction score
I just spent about 8 days visiting my family in Michigan and Ohio. I also attended my 35 year High School Reunion while I was at it. At the end of the night when the band was done the sound guy plugged my Glyph into the PA system and I played a couple of tunes. I played my guitar with the band and had a great time but it was icing on the cake ending the night by exposing all of them to what can be done with an ukulele. I posted on my website with a few pics for those that want to check it out. Unfortunately, there wasn't a video camera in sight.

http://dominator.ukeland.com/

Looks like fun times! So, uke and sax are a good duo? I'd like to hear that. :)

Too bad there wasn't a video camera there.. :\

35th reunion. Maaaan. Thats awesome. Having just graduated, the 5 year reunion already seems SUUUUPER far away. But maybe that's just because I have 4 years of college and half of my MBA done by then... AAAAAAH I DONT WANT TO DO ANOTHER HIGH-SCHOOL LENGTHED TERM!

Haha, but on the bright side, by my 35th reunion, I'll probably be able to play Guitar Gently Weeps moderately well. :) Still working on it!

It's actually quite amazing that there is still so much misunderstanding out there about the uke. Living in Japan, I tend to forget that because
a) there is a load of players here and
b) Japanese appear to have far less tendency to look down upon small things than "westerners", or whatever could be an appropriate term.

But according to a poster on another forum, in my home country (in Europe) music stores still only sell generic brands of mediocre and less ukes for cheap. Amazing.
Great report btw, and cool to see how you rocked that crowd of former hippies with your aloha-rock sound!

Looks like fun times! So, uke and sax are a good duo? I'd like to hear that. :)

Well, we haven't really worked anything out specifically. We just played a few tunes. He plays strictly by ear and is an incredible player. He played a bit in the background during Going to California and then on the outro chords he did a lengthy solo that was awesome. We also played a little blues and he smoked on that as well. I'd definately say that sax and ukulele are not your typical lineup but if it's good I think anything will work.

They're all spell-bound, as I am when I watch you play.

Looking back again at the responses to this thread and looking at the pics again I discovered something. Notice how several of the people have their arms crossed and are just very focused on watching me play. This was probably the first time most of them have ever seen someone playing the ukulele live.

I knew I should have packed the video cam but I didn't want to burden my wife with having to deal with it. I wanted her to relax and have a good time without having to be "band mom" for a night.

Top Bottom