New uke day...and I'm bummed! But Mim is the greatest!!

kenikas

Reaction score
My newest addition arrived Friday and I'm really bummed!
I guess I'd better explain, last Wednesday I ordered my latest object of desire, a beautiful Lanikai O-8E from our own Mim after e mailing and pm'ing for a week or so. Mim had said it would probably take 5 or 6 days to get to me, so you can imagine my shock and amazement when I arrived home Friday evening and found a large package from Mim's Ukes! It was all I could do to control myself while trying to get the package open without looking like a madman with my grandkids looking, but I finally got it out and it's even better looking in person than the great pic's Mim had sent, and the sound is amazing. I can't recommend Mim highly enough to any one looking for any of the ukes she carries, her customer service is second to none!
Now for the reason I'm bummed, I had just arrived in from flying a trip Friday and had to turn around and fly out again Saturday morning so I've only had about a half hour to spend with my new baby, but I should be back home tonight so we can spend some quality time together (that is unless my wife thinks I should spend it with her!!). Mahalo nui loa again Mim, you're the greatest!

Congrats on your new uke! Looking forward to hearing how she sounds!

Lately I've been talking a ukulele with me on all my trips where I have to spend at least one night.

I carry it on as a personal item. If it is a short trip I can always stuff my laptop in a carry-on bag along with clothes. It is a little bit of a pain having to dig it out at the security checks, but it seems worth it later that night when I can noodle on a uke in my room.

John

Are you a pilot? Isn't that what auto-pilot was invented for... 'ukulele players? ;)

Awwww shucks... thanks :)

This is sort of a related/ non-related note. Since you guys are talking about flying and stuff. I love my sopranino and it is INSANELY portable. I am going to sew a bag for it. Something that looks like a larger casual draw string tote thing (ladies might know what I am talking about). But room for the sopranino. And a hidden panel so I can sneak it into music events so it can be an autograph uke after the show (for any musical performer, not just ukulele players where it is more of a gimme people bring their ukes along). Of course I would not use the hidden panel for things like planes. But yeah, I love to always have a uke around whenever possible :)

Lately I've been talking a ukulele with me on all my trips where I have to spend at least one night.

I carry it on as a personal item. If it is a short trip I can always stuff my laptop in a carry-on bag along with clothes. It is a little bit of a pain having to dig it out at the security checks, but it seems worth it later that night when I can noodle on a uke in my room.

John
I wish I could, but the plane I'm flying doesn't really have a place I feel comfortable stowing it on most trips. I don't dare put one in the baggage compartment with all the golf clubs, heavy luggage etc. and I usually play tenor so in the case they're a bit bulky. But I am working on a way to stow one safely, so maybe someday.

Are you a pilot? Isn't that what auto-pilot was invented for... 'ukulele players? ;)
Yes, I fly corporate and charter mostly in a Citation XL. And I definately think that was the original purpose for the auto-pilot, but it kind of freaks out the passengers when they think you are having a luau in the cockpit!!

Awwww shucks... thanks :)

This is sort of a related/ non-related note. Since you guys are talking about flying and stuff. I love my sopranino and it is INSANELY portable. I am going to sew a bag for it. Something that looks like a larger casual draw string tote thing (ladies might know what I am talking about). But room for the sopranino. And a hidden panel so I can sneak it into music events so it can be an autograph uke after the show (for any musical performer, not just ukulele players where it is more of a gimme people bring their ukes along). Of course I would not use the hidden panel for things like planes. But yeah, I love to always have a uke around whenever possible :)
I have thought about trying to take a soprano, but my old fat fingers just don't play well with soprano fretboards, and the only ones I have are vintage and I wouldn't dare take them along, but maybe could borrow one of my grandkids Dolphins. I guess I really should look in to concert and tenor hard cases, that may be the answer to taking one along.

I'll try to figure out how to post some pic's when I get home. But as for a sound clip, I dunno.... the 8 string has a wonderful sound but with me playing it just sounds like two badly played ukes :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom