How high should strings be from fretboard?

robynlihau

Reaction score
I'm evaluating a Lanikai LKP-C Concert Koa - and I'm wondering about the string action over the fretboard. I'm a guitar player - yet three days on the Uke and my finger tips are numb, and the first joints are sore. I'm wondering if it has to do with the string height.

At the first fret the strings are close, maybe 1/16th of an inch. But as you move down the neck the strings get higher and higher. By the 12th fret they're a good 1/4 inch high, and at the sound hole approaching 1/2 inch. Is this normal? If so, then I'll just have to practice and get used to it. If not, then Playability-wise I'm not sure this is the uke for me.

Comments? Suggestions? Mahalo nui!

Did more online research and just measured my strings:
1st fret = 2mm
5th fret = 4mm
12th fret = 1 cm/10mm
At saddle, 2 cm

Seems to be in line with folks' recommendations. I'm used to Extra-fine Steel strings ... could the finger tip tenderness be a need to just get used to the nylon strings? I used to play a nylon guitar 15 yrs ago, don't ever remember this problem. I would appreciate your insights ...

Thanks everyone! Great info.

Question: Are we measuring from the neck or the fret itself? Sounds like the fret. I've re-measured with a better (clear) ruler, from top of fret to bottom of string - and I get better measurements: top fret is barely 1 mm and at 12th it's closer to 3 mm. (the 10 cm reading was on bad ruler with a leading edge to it, measuring from neck to top of string! My bad.)

Just took my Uke into local Guitar Center (Berkeley) and the Guitar/Uke guy said he liked my Lanikai Koa LKP-C alot. He thought the action was a bit high on the high end of the neck (above 12th fret), but otherwise he thought the action looked and felt good. He said if I'm not playing lead not to worry about it. He thought the quality of the Uke was good too, and had a good sound (he didn't "have a better one to sell me," he said, and though they do sell this model online he'd never seen it.) He sure made it sing!

While there I got the Jumpin' Jim Ukudelic 60s Songbook, and the Ukulele Fretboard Road Maps so I'm set for home study. I have the Daniel Ho books 1 & 2 coming soon from Hawaii. With the online boards and videos too I won't have time to do anything else! That's the way it should be, right? (o;

Last edited:
All measurement is from the top of the fret. The pop-sickle stick is a good one and I use a heavy business card at the first fret. Keep in mind this is all subjective, to some degree. Some like a higher action for finger picking.

Aloha Robyn,
I think it's just beginners anxiety...Your string height seems to be fine....As for your fingers, everyone who starts playing the uke
will develop the numb fingers from being new and over practicing....If you finger pick and play slack key, you probally have callouses
already..Check out Musicteacher2010 and Keonepax for online tutorials...jus google them...Have Fun and Enjoy!! "Keep strumming
them strings" ...Ho'olono ana ike kani hone hone a ka ukulele!!! Malama Pono & ahui Ho!! MM Stan....
BTW- it's 3mm on the 12th fret from the fret to the string or(pop sicle stick) and press the 3rd fret and measure the 1st fret with a bussiness card....

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarifications - now I can relax.

Yes, it's totally Beginners Anxiety, coupled with Un-needed Anticipitory Buyers Remorse. I need to stop typing and just play! But not so much that the tips of my calloused fingers go numb again. LOL!

Tonight I found the "sweet spot" on my Ukulele and made it ring.

Kani`ka pila! A hui hou! Robyn Lihau

Last edited:
Top Bottom