D'addario T2 normal or hard tension?

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I am still trying different string options, and I know jumpingflea and Aldrine have both used T2 strings. A lot of other folks out there have used them too...

Just curious, for those of you who use the D'addario T2 strings, do you use the normal or hard tension? I just ordered some of the normal tension, but wasn't sure if I got the right ones.

Also, I know most of you are doing re-entrant on these strings, but I'm looking to do them for low g tuning. As I did in a Savarez trial, I'm planning to do the C string for my G string (just in case that make a difference on the tension preference).

Thanks for any insight...

I tried out the normal tension, still have them on. I think I read somewhere here that the normal tenisions should be used on a concert and thats what I was using them on. I think a lot of folks that use them on Tenors use the hard tension. But I guess it would come down tension preference.

I bought single D'addario wound string for the low g, but have not tried it out yet.

I use the normal tension for my C, E, and A and the hard tension for my G.

I am still trying different string options, and I know jumpingflea and Aldrine have both used T2 strings. A lot of other folks out there have used them too...

Just curious, for those of you who use the D'addario T2 strings, do you use the normal or hard tension? I just ordered some of the normal tension, but wasn't sure if I got the right ones.

Also, I know most of you are doing re-entrant on these strings, but I'm looking to do them for low g tuning. As I did in a Savarez trial, I'm planning to do the C string for my G string (just in case that make a difference on the tension preference).

Thanks for any insight...

The hard tension works better on my Moore Bettah tenor. I tried the normal tension strings, but they just didn't have as much "pop." They also tended to buzz more. But every uke is different - you should try both! FYI - they also make an X-hard version - that might also be worth a try.
Mika

I used the high tension T2s and they made my spruce top tenor sound great. I liked the feel and they were excellent for chunking. There was only one drawback and though I held out as long as I could it was a deal breaker. The problem was that they are so sensitive to changes in temperature etc that I had to tune after every song. They would react to the heat of my fingers and go out of tune. It was driving me nuts so I finally had to remove them and went back to Worth had tension.

Anybody else had any tuning problems with the T2s?

No problems with tuning, but then again, not everyone plays like you, Dom.

WW - if you're going to string it low G, just pick up a J4504 or a J4604 (personally, I like the J4804, but they don't sell them individually anymore). High or normal tension will be dependent on the instrument, and you. For me, the normal go on hardwood tops, and the high's go on Spruce tops.

I think swapping the strings leads you to sacrificing - just get the first 4 and be done with it.

These are my 2nd favorite strings (actually, my favorite from an action perspective).

-Aaron

No problems with tuning, but then again, not everyone plays like you, Dom.

WW - if you're going to string it low G, just pick up a J4504 or a J4604 (personally, I like the J4804, but they don't sell them individually anymore). High or normal tension will be dependent on the instrument, and you. For me, the normal go on hardwood tops, and the high's go on Spruce tops.

I think swapping the strings leads you to sacrificing - just get the first 4 and be done with it.

These are my 2nd favorite strings (actually, my favorite from an action perspective).

-Aaron

What are your favorites?

What are your favorites?

Savarez Alliance 542J and 542R, depending on the instrument.

Where can I get a set? I was trying to piece together a set on Amazon, but unless I'm missing something, I don't think it's possible.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=daddario+t2&x=0&y=0

stringsbymail.com

In fact, it was them that recommended the Aranjuez 700 strings to replace the J4804 Bronze wound from D'Addario. I'm just too lazy to order them in because I still have J4804's, but I will. The transition between Bronze wound and unwound strings are much smoother than a Silver wound, but has less "power" as described by Led Kaapana to do Ki Ho Alu style playing on `ukulele, which he does.

Again, preference depends on the instrument and the player. I've noticed that if you have a cheap instrument, Savarez and D'Addario will probably not be the string for you. Most midrange factory Tenors like Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanilea et al can, and do make good use of them. I've not seen them not work on higher end instruments. Of course, most of them had to be setup again - Savarez and D'Addario Pro Artes tend to be thicker gauged.

But, take that with a grain of salt because I don't have much experience with low end instruments, and I have a few midrange and have setup more than a few on the higher end, so my experience range with different instruments is certainly limited (but I have tried most of the strings out there).

-Aaron

Last edited:
Nuprin wrote:
I use the normal tension for my C, E, and A and the hard tension for my G.

I recognize that combo!!! hahahah!!! Yeahm I really like to use normal tension for all the strings except for the G where I prefer to go with high tension to get something to the feel of the A..

WW - if you're going to string it low G, just pick up a J4504 or a J4604 (personally, I like the J4804, but they don't sell them individually anymore).

Thanks for the tip but I'm trying to avoid a setup with a wound string. I jerry rigged some Savarez using all non wound for low g tuning and even though it was a little slack, it was playable. I'm just testing out the same with the T2 setup as well...

Thanks for the tip but I'm trying to avoid a setup with a wound string. I jerry rigged some Savarez using all non wound for low g tuning and even though it was a little slack, it was playable. I'm just testing out the same with the T2 setup as well...

Like I said, if you switch around strings, you'll sacrifice. If they're slack, they're probably not balanced either. Why are you trying to avoid a wound string?

From what I've read people don't like the sound of their fingers sliding against the wound strings. This has never bothered me. It's probably because I come from years of playing acoustic guitar.

The one thing I've noticed is that the wound strings start to unravel where they come in contact with the frets after a few weeks. Well that was my experience with the Aquila's at least. They also seemed to go dead a bit faster.

In either case, I prefer the sound of the wound to the non-wound so I think I'm going to stick with them.

Like I said, if you switch around strings, you'll sacrifice. If they're slack, they're probably not balanced either. Why are you trying to avoid a wound string?

As misterpk noted, primarily for the squeak factor, and to a secondary level the unraveling. As a general rule I use Fremont Blacklines or Worth CH low g, so it isn't an issue. If it is too slack I will abandon the experiment. But I tried wound twice (including a Savarez Corum) and I just can't get used to it.

Last edited:
I think squeak can be reduce with a good left hand technique, well it's what I've always been taught. I mean it's really not something that bothers me. I think tone is more important than little squeak....but again, I think with a good technique, it's not apparent anymore.

Top Bottom