Iformation about 1925 Martin K5 uke

gampa

Reaction score
I recently purchased, from local estate, a wonderful Martin K5 which was originally purchased in 1925. The original owner is now deceased and the heirs told me as much as they knew about the instrument. It was presented as all original but I am courios about the case which has a purple lining rather than the green lined case available on the reproduction. Does anyone know if the earliest k5 ukes were sold in a purple lined case. Also does anyone have a closeup photo of tuners used in 1925. Mine is nickel but the repro is gold plated.

The only information I have, is that you are one lucky duck. Who cares what color the case is...

beleive me, I'm not complaining,Just curious

Yes, there was a purple-lined case on the 5K - at least some of them anyway. IF your ukulele is in excellent condition, they can fetch as much as $15,000 if they are in near perfect condition with the original case (also in reasonable shape). To most collectors, the case is icing on the cake and secondary to the instrument. To a player, they would most likely put it in a new, more air-tight case to keep it climate protected.

Nice find. I hope you enjoy playing it for a lifetime.

Mickey
Ukulele Player Magazine

1925 Martin K5 photos

See attached photos of uke

Attachments

• P1060852.JPG
    P1060852.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 89
  • P1060848.JPG
    P1060848.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 73
  • P1060851.JPG
    P1060851.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 75
  • P1060856.JPG
    P1060856.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 83
Wow, what a beautiful Uke! You are one lucky guy! Treasure that and pass it down through your family :D

Wow.. Gimme dat!!! lol

If ya don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay for that? If that is too personal of a question, I understand.. Just curious..

BTW, the pegs "appear" to be original. They are "Patent pegs" with white perlite buttons?

It's hard to know what I paid for it as I purchased it along with a group of instruments including a rare Vega flatback Bandurria, an italian bandurria, a slingerland banjo, a Gusle(1 string fiddle), and a bauzouki.

Thanks for the information. I thought they were original but I know guitar tuners fairly well but little about those used on ukes.

Based on the 5Ks I've seen (photos only.. never seen one in person), both the tuners and the case are original. And it is a BEEEEEEEYOOOOOTIFUL uke! I'm officially envious.
Btw, there was a 5K on eBay this week that didn't look quite right to me....it had the curved C.F. Martin decal on the BACK of the headstock, rather than the arched stamp. They didn't put the decal on any ukes before 1930 or so from what I've read, and I've never heard of it being on the BACK. But it ended up at nearly $6,000, so for the buyer's sake I hope it wasn't a fake.

This uke is in good condition. It will not go for $15,000 if you tried to sell it, but possibly half that amount. I'd keep it, though, because it is in fine playable condition and will only increase in value if you keep it in the present condition.

It's hard to know what I paid for it as I purchased it along with a group of instruments including a rare Vega flatback Bandurria, an italian bandurria, a slingerland banjo, a Gusle(1 string fiddle), and a bauzouki.

if you don't mind me asking, how much was the whole lot?

Italian bandurria?

Hi. Sorry to stick my nose, but the Italian bandurria thing really caught my curiosity. I have played bandurria in my youth (still got one somewhere); but I´ve never heard of an Italian one. Perhaps you meant an "Italian made" bandurria... Or you know something I don´t?
Either way; I´d like an answer, please.
If you like bandurrias; here´s something you will enjoy. Thjis is the Tuna from Law school in Valladolid, Spain. My hometown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8DKWl941ww
The music starts at the 4th minute.
All the best.

Last edited:
Mine Came in a green felt interior hard case.....mine came with the same original tuner as you
MartinUkes41812160.jpg

MartinUkes41812163.jpg

Last edited:
One thing that is really cool that sets these originals apart from the reproductions is the bridge. I've seen several repro 5Ks and they all have a bridge that appears to be made of mahogony rather than the chunk of koa that your's has. It really looks great -- nice find!

Top Bottom