Martin 3C Cherry Ukulele

It's definitely pretty. I don't know what cherry sounds like. :confused: I'd make sure to read all the fine print about returning it before you order it. I'd have a hard time paying that amount for something I could play for a couple hours first.

Are you actually going to play it or will this be a collector's piece?

Yeah, I'd want to play it first too.

I'd personally be a bit leery of it without personal experience based entirely upon the whole "Green" gimmick they're using to sell it. That just smacks of trendiness more so than playability. They also don't say where it's being made. I've read a lot of mixed opinions on the current batch of Mexican made Martin Ukes and American made would be a selling point.

That said, I would also expect that if Martin is expecting somebody to drop a couple Grand on an instrument that they'd be up to snuff. And as a collector thing, a limited edition Martin anything is a pretty safe bet.

Speaking for myself though, if I was really considering dropping a couple Grand on a ukulele (and my lively wife would let me :p) I'd be looking at a custom build from a luthier or if I really wanted a Martin, a nice vintage one. YMMV

Personal opinion these are terrible player instruments. Great to look at but not the tone that you would expect. I would have major trouble buying one of these without playing 4-5 of them to get the absolute best and even then there are a lot better deals out there.

Just don't buy from Musician's friend, find it somewhere else if you want to buy it.

Just to share my own experience with one of their even more expensive new models, the new 5K, I went over to my local Sam Ash the other day just to try one. The first thing I noticed was that the finish was very thick, almost like hard plastic. So I played it for a bit (turns out they had strung it with Aquilas to try and get it to sell, but it hadn't been played much so the strings weren't really stretched) and was extremely disappointed by the sound. Very quiet, more so than my Kala laminate mahogany, with none of that beautiful sound I've heard from vintage Martins, Kiwayas, etc. I figured it might just me a lemon, so I called around town and found two other stores that also carried the same model. Both of these were strung with good strings (not the factory ones), one of them had been played a fair amount and both had been around long enough to open up at least a little. On one the sound was almost the same as the first, and on the other it was substantially worse. The working the store on the last one tried to offer me it at a bargain ($3700, the standard pricetag they had was $3999) just to get it out of the store. I'd go with a Kiwaya or a vintage martin over a new martin, they just don't seem worth it. Maybe the cherry 3 model is a different story, but somehow I doubt it.

I love mine!

I first played a 3C at Mandolin Brothers. I acquired one (brand new) through a trade. I'm really pleased with it. Yes, its quieter than some of my other ukes (vintage white label Kamaka, old Martin 0, maple Pono tenor, koa Oscar Schmidt, mahagony Bushman) and its not as bright sounding my koa or mahogany ukes but having owned it for a few months now, its really opening up nicely. Its well constructed. The satin finish is beginning to take on a very cool glossy look from the oils in my skin. The body has a nice "life" to it, great vibration that you can feel through the instrument, up against your chest. The sound is very "old fashioned" (in a good way.) If you're a person who likes to keep their instruments in pristine condition, the one negative thing I have to say is that the satin finish is very sensitive to fingernail marks around the soundhole. Personally, I think an instrument is made to be played, not just looked at. I dig the normal signs of wear.

I just don't get the Martin draw. They look plain, they sound plain, nothing to write home about yet for some reason, because of the name on it, people are willing to spend thousands to own one. Are they covered in "people nip?"(as opposed to cat nip). I've been a guitar player for over 40 years and would never spend thousands on their guitars either. There are so many better looking/sounding guitars on the market at a fraction of the cost. I know. I own a few of them. Some of my Martin owner friends will boast about their Martin but have confided in mr they like the sound of my El Degas better....yes I said El Degas - a student level guitar from the past at best made in Japan.

Yeah, I'd want to play it first too.

I'd personally be a bit leery of it without personal experience based entirely upon the whole "Green" gimmick they're using to sell it. That just smacks of trendiness more so than playability. They also don't say where it's being made. I've read a lot of mixed opinions on the current batch of Mexican made Martin Ukes and American made would be a selling point.

They're made in the Martin factory in Nazareth, PA. I saw a couple being made there myself. MIGHT even have a picture, if I dug around.

I played one of these two weeks ago at a great local music store. I was really surprised that it felt heavy to me, especially in the neck and headstock. I have a vintage Martin and expected the new one to be a lot like the old, and it was not. I agree that you should play one before you buy to make sure it really speaks to you.

I believe Elderly stocks it and will give you a better price than Musician's Friend, although MF will match Elderly, who will then in turn match MF, etc. Hey, maybe you'll get it for 80 bucks.

I was drawn to it at first but don't think about it anymore. I don't like the split fingerboard. I WOULD pay that for a uke if it was really that good, but I've seen reviews that were just so-so. In the meantime I found Ko'olau, anyway.

Loprinzi also makes a cherry model although theirs isn't stained that nice red. Ask Donna if she can stain it for you for an extra charge. Base price is $450 and it's a quality instrument. I have that model in mahogany and it's sitting in front of me right now. It's very loud.

There's a guy that plays the Martin Cherry on YouTube and the tune is "Wild Cherries Rag".

I read somewhere that only about 36 of them have been sold, which may mean something to a collector.

I'm a bit surprised to read about the negative comments on the Martin 5K & style 3 reissues. I had read elsewhere by people who have played them that they are nice instruments. But I guess maybe they might be a bit hit or miss?

I've actually entertained the thought of buying a cherry style 3. I love the style 3 design. In fact, I bought a Kiwaya KTS-7 (basically a Martin style 3 copy) because I liked the styling so much. However for the type of money Martin charges, I would need to make sure it's a good player before buying.

It would be difficult to listen to the sounds Hef gets out of his 3C in several of his videos and say that this model doesn't sound good. That said, I don't think cherry sounds like mahogany or koa to me in my limited experience with it. The 3C Cherry seems very balanced across the spectrum with fewer overtones than the classic Martins in the sound clips. That can be good or bad depending on what you are looking for. If you are looking for an old Martin sound, the 3C may not be for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81YZdHPpBlc

Of course all this may just be my imagination. since most people fail blind tonewood tests miserably. I heard it called "psycho-acoustics" on one website. Many well respected luthiers say that sound has more to do with the luthier and the construction than the wood. I don't know if the construction of the 3C is that much different than the old Martin ways.

Last edited:
I was pretty enamored of it for a while, too, and kind of got the impression some on here have stated: ...meh...
What I really love is the old style 3 Martins with the skunk stripe and the frets (for me it wasn't so much the cherry wood). When that fever finally builds up enough, I will probably look seriously at a Kiwaya KTS-7 a bit closer.

So, how do you guys feel about this? Has anyone had experience with it? I really like it, and am thinking about getting a job for a month or two to cover what I lack on the price. Do you guys think it's worth it?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...tion-3-Cherry-Ukulele?sku=518492&src=3SOSWXXA

I'd want to play several of them. And for $1400 you could by a rather nice vintage Style II, and you know what you'd be getting. The newer ukes coming out of Martin have been problematic, from what I've heard. If you want something new--look at the Kiwaya.

I find it a little funny how people are preferring Kiwaya's Martin remakes over Martin's Martin remakes. :p

I haven't played a Martin, but I've played a Kiwaya. I like how light Kiwaya ukes weigh.

I find it a little funny how people are preferring Kiwaya's Martin remakes over Martin's Martin remakes. :p

I haven't played a Martin, but I've played a Kiwaya. I like how light Kiwaya ukes weigh.

Yeah, and if I were Martin I'd be paying attention to that.

They still know how to make guitars, and they used to know how to make ukes. It would be great if they just went back to their old designs--exactly as before-- and made them well.

My Martin Style 2 is unbelievably light, but then again, it is about 80 years old.

I'll say it. Every one of the modern Martin ukes I've personally played have been a mess. Sloppy construction, no tone, heavy, and over-priced. And I'm a Martin guitar fan.

In my experience, there is not a large production guitar maker of note that makes a new production uke worth a damn. Fender, Ibanez, Washburn (Oscar Schmidt), Ovation, Martin, etc... All below expectations. While some are better than others, none of them come close to the big uke makers in quality, tone, and playability.

There are a few exceptions - Loprinzi for example. They make a damn fine uke, but they are hardly a "large manufacturer".

For less than the price of that Martin, one of the K's - or something like a Loprinzi production uke will be far better quality and tone. Even better, $1400 - $2000 can get you pretty close to a fine custom from one of our very own members. Martin doenst need your cash. A small luthier absolutley does.

Top Bottom