PDA

View Full Version : Got my new uke today

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Got my Kanilea k1 tenor today with active fishman pickup and tuner !! I'll post pictures

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/lolploppoo/P1000161.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/lolploppoo/P1000160.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/lolploppoo/P1000153.jpg

So, I just got it in the mail, it isn't hot and feels fine. Should I tune it up and start playing it? Or is that not a good idea? I'll make a vid once I get some info on what to do...

happpyy

& my collection of tuners

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/lolploppoo/P1000163.jpg

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 06:01 PM
more : -

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/lolploppoo/P1000154.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/lolploppoo/P1000155.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/lolploppoo/P1000162-1.jpg

also, what is that black thing in the sound hole?

RyRod
10-04-2010, 06:04 PM
good to see you finally got it. It looks awesome.

As for the black thing in the soundhole... I'd say it was the battery inside a pouch.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 06:09 PM
the velcro like one? Also, if I plug it in, will it work? ha ha... brb, time to research pickups.

RyRod
10-04-2010, 06:11 PM
time to research pickups.

Ha, that's what I was just doing to make sure I didn't sound like an idiot. I found that certain Fishman's use a "9 Volt PP3 battery". As for how it attaches, I don't have the first clue...

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I have to charge it before I can use it?

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 06:29 PM
wow, I'll add to that, HUGE MISTAKE GETTING A PICKUP INSTALLED. strings won't stop buzzing and I'm not too sure why.... it sounds like a $50 ukulele being amplified

mds725
10-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Sorry to hear about the buzzing. The ukulele looks beautiful, though. Very attractive grain pattern.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 06:40 PM
because it has a pickup installed now, is it not meant to be played acoustically?

thejumpingflea
10-04-2010, 06:49 PM
because it has a pickup installed now, is it not meant to be played acoustically?

It should be fine.

Is it all tuned up properly?

thejumpingflea
10-04-2010, 06:50 PM
the velcro like one? Also, if I plug it in, will it work? ha ha... brb, time to research pickups.

The velcro holds the battery in place. It doesn't need any charging as long as the battery isn't dead. On a new uke you should be good to go!

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm trying to record and put on here what it sounds like. Eg, aldrive has pickups on his ukuleles and they sound fine acoustically, my lanikai sounds better

Lexxy
10-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey mate, congrats on the Kanile'a..Buzzing?! No way..

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 07:11 PM
it sounds like its buzzing because the pickup is attached to it.... I really dont like to think I just wasted $1700...

Lexxy
10-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Sound samples? Maybe Matt can assist you with that..

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 07:14 PM
who's matt? I'm trying to record something, but you can't hear it buzzing....

ruined my day >.<

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 07:15 PM
i dunno if this will work, ignore the song itself, it's heaps rushed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW2o50vmIY4

it just sounds normal...

Lexxy
10-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Matt is..thejumpingflea. he's really really really really awesome a player.

HornedOne
10-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I can hear some buzz. but the audio quality isn't too good either so I can't make a good guess

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 07:26 PM
yeah I apologise for the sound quality, but the buzz is the ukulele... not the sound quality....

I just did a kpk and kanilea vid, waiting for it to upload, gimme a sec.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 07:30 PM
this is the video, can you hear like..... some buzzing thing going on... i can in the video if you listen closely.. ha ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhE5rDEkAeQ

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 07:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z3xbBNP-Ik

last video..... not pleased to be honest..

thejumpingflea
10-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Tighten the end peg on the bottom of the uke where you plug in the cable.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 07:44 PM
so where you plug in the cable to amplify it? how on earth to you tighten that -.-

thejumpingflea
10-04-2010, 07:48 PM
The little metal knob.

You just twist it. Righty tighty, lefty loosy.

If that doesn't work then it will probably be a problem with the pickup.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 07:51 PM
guess I'll contact Kanilea..

Nuprin
10-04-2010, 07:56 PM
If the metal housing for the input jack wasn't loose, it could be the wire connecting the undersaddle transducer to the pickup controls...look inside to see if the wire is loose within the body. The vibrations from uke could be causing the wire to vibrate and buzz against the body of the uke.

I had a similar buzz on the Pono I sold (at a drastic discount). The buyer identified the problem as a loose brace. You might want to take it into a luthier to see if they can figure out the problem...either that or contact Kanilea.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 08:01 PM
taking it into a music store now, it's funny because the A string doesn't buzz at all... brb.

lernon
10-04-2010, 08:05 PM
maybe it's distorted because of the gain?
or maybe you have an effect on?
If you are plugged into an amp, try making the "volume" knob higher and the "gain" knob lower.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 09:20 PM
PROBLEM IDENTIFIED !! So, it's the bridge... he pushed down on the pegs, and the buzzing went away. Apparently it will cost me minimal, $90 to fix.

He told me it wasn't loose pins, because if you press on one pin, the buzzing still occurs.

QUESTION, if this guy touches my ukulele, will it altar the sound in anyway? It feels as if he touches it, there will be problems and he can't fix it. By sending it back to Hawaii, it feels it will be fixed 100%. By saying that, he said it's the same as a guitar and he's done it 10000 times, and has seen way worse senarioes..

what to do? contact kanilea? or just let this guy do his job... and it will be fixed. He said worse case senario, the bridge isn't sitting square and it needs to be fixed, because it wasn't done right by the manufactur.....

Anybody had this problem before?

Pippin
10-04-2010, 09:56 PM
First off, if there is a buzz inside the bridge, then it is probably either that there is a shim under the saddle or the transducer that is not seated properly, easy fix. It might be the cable inside the uke vibrating against the body. I would suspect that FIRST. Maybe you can fiddle around with that twisted cable inside (visible in your pictures). Also check the way the battery pack is seated. Maybe the buzz is coming from that end.

Your new uke has a very lively body and it is very possible that they buzz can sound as though it is coming from one place when it is being generated in another altogether.

robbocx
10-04-2010, 09:58 PM
what to do? contact kanilea? or just let this guy do his job... and it will be fixed. He said worse case senario, the bridge isn't sitting square and it needs to be fixed, because it wasn't done right by the manufactur.....

Contact Kanilea they may have an authorised agent in Australia you can use.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-04-2010, 10:06 PM
yeah I emailed them... Can't call, it's like $3 every 30 second or something. Thanks for the numbers rob... I'll contact them tomorrow during business hours. I'll contact Kanilea and see what they say.... I'm not sure if I would go back to Kanilea though, maybe if I lived in hawaii though.

Mahaloesss.. I'll let you guys know

Hippie Dribble
10-04-2010, 11:00 PM
sorry to read about this problem Matt...it was such a painful birth for you and now something extra to have to worry about...for what it's worth, it's a lovely looking uke. I've always been too scared to get pick-ups installed in any of my ukes as I'm pretty technologically illiterate and find it easier to amplify the uke through an external mic....hope it's all sorted out soon (and not too expensively) for you mate.

raecarter
10-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Hello mate i fitted a mi-si in my mainland last week I had a similar problem initially. To rectify it i sanded the saddle down more so it sat on the element better I also used a spanner to tighten the end pin as it clearly had worked loose after doing these things more problem went? On the plus side that v in the grain is stunning! Hope you sort it rae

mm stan
10-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Aloha Matt,
Congrats on the new Kanile'a and sorry you're having problems with it...I'd give Kanele"a a call first...It you let somene
touch it, you might void the Warrenty, plus you will have to dish out more money...Which fishman pickup does it have?
I had a top of the line fishman in my Mele..that on was $350.00. I'm asking because did you try to adjust the controls??
and fishman's take a regular 9V battery, no charging unless you a special set-up....which I don't think you have.
If you have'nt used any pick-ups before, many of them have a little static, especially the cheaper ones....Do
you think you may have buyers anxiety? And who looked at the ukulele for you??? as mentioned before, it could
be that it's not seated well under the saddle....if you do not figure it out in eight hours, let me know..and PM me..and
give me your e-mail address..by that time they will be,open for bussiness.....and I call them for you....Good Luck!! MM Stan..

ukulele2544
10-05-2010, 03:16 AM
dude that looks awesome. keep jammin da uke!

RyRod
10-05-2010, 04:01 AM
This thread jumped up to 4 pages while I was sleeping.... and now I see why. I'm really sorry to hear about the buzzing. Hopefully you get it corrected quickly.

molokinirum
10-05-2010, 05:30 AM
That is a beautiful uke and I am sorry you are having problems. My two cents says to contact Kanile'a before any work is done on it as that will most likely void the warranty.

joeybug
10-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Beautiful Uke! Sorry to hear you're having problems with it, hope you can get it sorted without having to spend too much...

mm stan
10-05-2010, 05:49 AM
P.S. I like your tabby cat...I used to have many of them while growing up...My mother was into cats....Pee Wee's....

BadLands Bart
10-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Boy talk about heartache! Happy you got your Kanile'a then mad that there is a buzzing problem. That reall sux!! Anyway, I too would contact Kanile'a about the problem first, don't want to take a chance and void the warranty.

sukie
10-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Hey Matthew --

Did you call Kanilea? What did they say? A brand new $1700 ukulele should be perfect. I hope they make it right for you.
It's awfully pretty.

pulelehua
10-05-2010, 12:48 PM
I would DEFINITELY go to Kanilea. That way it stays a bad scenario. Give it to a luthier, and the worst case scenario is a complete nightmare. New ukulele. Let them prove how wonderful they are. Think of all the KoAloha stories.

wickedwahine11
10-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Joe and Kristen Souza of Kanile'a are amazing people...I would give them a chance to right it for you. As others have said, to take it somewhere else might void your warranty. And you definitely don't want to do that. Good luck to you, and I'm sorry you have this problem with such a beautiful ukulele.

portlandjosh
10-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Regardless of the warranty issue, and considering the reputation of the manufacturer, I'd definitely give them a chance to weigh in and make it right. Good luck, buddy.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
it's funny, I was expecting it to have something wrong with it... but I just said that because (no joke) nothing ever goes right in my life. I expected it too happen... told my olds, my aunty and uncle, everyone I knew... and tah duh !

I got an email back from them: "it was perfect when we sent it too you, the cords are probably touching the wood, check the cords, let us know how that goes". It's not a cord against wood buzzing noise, because it sounds different.

hahahahahahahahaha, what are you to do, right? Don't worry, company that has millions of dollars, this 19 year old worked 14 days straight to save $1700, spent countless hours studying kanilea, as they seemed the right choice, waiting, on phone to custom's etc... for a -$1700 bank balance, for entertainment purposes.

I have such expensive hobbies

Mandarb
10-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your new uke.

joeybug
10-06-2010, 07:17 AM
it's funny, I was expecting it to have something wrong with it... but I just said that because (no joke) nothing ever goes right in my life. I expected it too happen... told my olds, my aunty and uncle, everyone I knew... and tah duh !

I got an email back from them: "it was perfect when we sent it too you, the cords are probably touching the wood, check the cords, let us know how that goes". It's not a cord against wood buzzing noise, because it sounds different.

hahahahahahahahaha, what are you to do, right? Don't worry, company that has millions of dollars, this 19 year old worked 14 days straight to save $1700, spent countless hours studying kanilea, as they seemed the right choice, waiting, on phone to custom's etc... for a -$1700 bank balance, for entertainment purposes.

I'm sorry that your new Uke didn't end up as good as you'd hoped, like someone else said when you spend $1700 you expect perfection...hope it gets sorted for you..

70sSanO
10-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Matt,

I have listened to your string-by-string comparison sample and I agree that it really sounds bad.

Did you send the link of that sample to Kanilea? I would think that they have heard all sorts vibrations, buzzing, etc.

I'm a little less convinced that pushing down on the bridge means that the bridge is loose. Just the mere pressure on the bridge may mute the soundboard enough to stop the buzzing.

My wild guess would be the saddle is not seated properly. I have had similar results with a poorly seated saddle.

But if I were you I would ask for help on the Luthier's Lounge. The best builders in the industry frequent that forum and if anyone can help you one or more of them can.

John

mds725
10-06-2010, 10:11 AM

Can you just return it and demand your money back? (I realize shipping is expensive from where you are to Hawaii.) If you paid with a credit card, I believe you can file a complaint through the credit card company. You could also file a complaint with the Hawaii Attormey General's office for something along the lines of consumer fraud. Or you could at least tell the seller that's what you're planning to do.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-06-2010, 12:23 PM
the thing is.... It has to be all done through email... if it was in australia, we have ombudsman(sp?), and they get it done right, everytime, without fail.

The problem is, I can't call (it's like $3 a minute), so it's all done by email.... and all that has to be done, is not return my emails.... Not buying anything overseas again. If/when this ukulele problem gets resolved, it'll be my last bought ukulele, fun/excitement/passion about them now, just died.

70sSanO
10-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Can you get Kanilea to call you and discuss if they have an authorized repair person in Australia?

John

mm stan
10-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Aloha Matt,
Maybe they mean the cord under the saddle is rubbing???/

bbycrts
10-06-2010, 01:23 PM
the thing is.... It has to be all done through email... if it was in australia, we have ombudsman(sp?), and they get it done right, everytime, without fail.

The problem is, I can't call (it's like $3 a minute), so it's all done by email.... and all that has to be done, is not return my emails.... Not buying anything overseas again. If/when this ukulele problem gets resolved, it'll be my last bought ukulele, fun/excitement/passion about them now, just died.

Snap out of it. You spent a lot of money on a great uke and now you're acting like a child.

Come on, Matt - if you can't call them ($3/minute is probably cheaper than mailing it back if you can say, "I'm in Australia, here's my phone number, please call me about a problem with the uke you sent me), then get someone in Hawaii to call them for you. There are tons of people here who I'm sure would be happy to help.

Please, people - don't try to drag Kanile'a through the mud yet! They are a great - and very small - company that spends most of its time making ukuleles, not browsing emails. I've owned a couple of Kanile'as - they are the best I've laid my own hands on.

Instead of whining about it, lets stand up, be rational, and take care of the problem. It's a little early to be talking ombudsmen and attorneys general.

Rzr
10-06-2010, 01:32 PM
It's probably the pick up wires inside the body. My Big Island had this problem and if you just stick your finger in and move the wire, or wires, off the body you will know for sure.

France
10-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Surely there are only a certain number of places that can be creating the buzz. I find it hard to imagine that you couldn't pinpoint where the sound is coming from. There is no way that a company like Kanilea would send out an instrument that sounded like that. Something must have shifted or come loose in transit. If you search from head to toe surely it can be sussed out.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Snap out of it. You spent a lot of money on a great uke and now you're acting like a child.

Come on, Matt - if you can't call them ($3/minute is probably cheaper than mailing it back if you can say, "I'm in Australia, here's my phone number, please call me about a problem with the uke you sent me), then get someone in Hawaii to call them for you. There are tons of people here who I'm sure would be happy to help.

Please, people - don't try to drag Kanile'a through the mud yet! They are a great - and very small - company that spends most of its time making ukuleles, not browsing emails. I've owned a couple of Kanile'as - they are the best I've laid my own hands on.

Instead of whining about it, lets stand up, be rational, and take care of the problem. It's a little early to be talking ombudsmen and attorneys general.

I'm not talking to ombudsman and attorneys lmao, I'm just saying.... I would be at more ease if it were done within my own country.

Now you've tried to tell me what to do, I'll tell you the reality, not he dramatic situation you are reading it at.
You have NO, absolutely NO idea, what I have been through in order to get this ukulele from point A, to point B. NOW, it's going to take me abou another 20 hours, to find out, usps don't want anythign to do with it, customs also said they were to tax me $300 again.. + I need the ukulele in 4 weeks.
Stan, respectively, called them for me, as they advised me to email Kanilea.

we may have lost track, I'm no whining, it's more of a large vent of how this situation has turned out.

Fact of the matter is, it's not the money I am concerned about, it's the time frame that has got me annoyed... essentially, the money part comes in, when, I have spent this many hours (countless amounts, where i have had to leave work, lose even more money, to deal with this problem) trying to fix the problem, when I have spent so much money. I couldn't care less if it were a $300 uke from hawaii, and didn't need to play it at my peek, to try and satisfy the 2 people I love to death in the world, I would be at more ease...

However, I did get an email today that makes me, slightly, happier. Saying, if I send it back, they will give me a Satin finish tenor ukulele, with the same pickup installed, god news right?, all is well. Wrong, the delivery won't take my package (it's too big, WTF)

don't you love it when you sit on the end of a computer with no issues, telling other people it's not a huge problem and everything is fine, when the reality on the other side of the computer is, you're wrong.

haolejohn
10-07-2010, 02:31 AM
PROBLEM IDENTIFIED !! So, it's the bridge... he pushed down on the pegs, and the buzzing went away. Apparently it will cost me minimal, $90 to fix.

He told me it wasn't loose pins, because if you press on one pin, the buzzing still occurs.

QUESTION, if this guy touches my ukulele, will it altar the sound in anyway? It feels as if he touches it, there will be problems and he can't fix it. By sending it back to Hawaii, it feels it will be fixed 100%. By saying that, he said it's the same as a guitar and he's done it 10000 times, and has seen way worse senarioes..

Anybody had this problem before?

Matt, I'd contact kanile'a. They have a great reputation and if a local luthier works on the uke, it might void any warranty you have. If they cover shipping you are out nothing. IF not, then you are out shipping and that is it.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-07-2010, 03:29 AM
I contacted them, it's not as easy as contacting kanilea, and getting another ukulele shipped to me, and paying shipping costs... it sounds that easy, but it's not

which is why I'm so stressed about it.

70sSanO
10-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Matt,

I can sympathize with your predicament. Early on you stated that it doesn't seem to buzz, or it doesn't seem to be present, when the ukulele is amplified.

If that is the case, my personal advice is to play it for, I think it was a wedding, through an amp or PA and get that behind you.

Then work out what is equitible with Kaniliea without the pressure of wondering if it will be back in time.

I know that there may be size restrictions for delivery persons, but surfboards are shipped in and out of Australia everyday, but you just may have to take it to the post office.

Unfortunately the lesson that a number of people learn is that buying an instrument sight unseen, no matter how good, still has some degree of risk in it. It has happened to me, even with fairly expensive instruments that had issues... sometimes it worked out and other times I lived with it.

I do hope everything goes well, but get that performance out of the way and then deal with the issues.

John

haole
10-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Kanile'a has two dealers in Australia. According to their website:

Music City

55 Sheridan Street
Cairns
Queensland 48701
Australia

Phone +61 (0) 740516826
Concept Music

244-246 Cambridge Street
Wembley, WA 6014
Australia

Phone +08 -9381-2277

I'd call one (or both) and see if they can help. They might be willing to do the repair without voiding the warranty. Maybe they wouldn't mind calling Kanile'a directly for you, too.

mm stan
10-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Aloha Matt,
Been following your thread, sorry for your problems,,,,When you respond back to them, advise them of your mailing issues and that it would be cheaper to do it locally. and you need to have
it for the wedding. I think Kanile'a is just protecting themselves and wants to see the problem themselves...in short, tell them okay it might have left their factory fine and well but may have
been damaged or the wires fell loose during shipping...you can't just get mad and pout,,,,,,you have to explain to them your situation....and give them a direct answer back right away or
they won't take you seriously and think you're trying to make some money back off them....I'd say respond back in quick direct manner....Good Luck!!MM Stan
P.S. It you need help in what to say or wording...don't hesitate to contact me....

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-08-2010, 02:37 AM
I really hope they don't think I'm trying to make money off them :S.... Kind of over it now.
Sending it back to them tomorrow, they will send me a replacement.

Essentially, because I work for a phone company, and I know the system (;), I can call Hawaii for 31cents a minute. Which is funny, because it costs me 80cents per minute to call within Australia... :?

anyway, I'm pretty sure I call:

001-1-808-234-2686

but I'm not sure if that's right, some auto-voice tells me to call back in 1 or 2 minutes, hahaha. Strange. Once they find a tracking number for the ukulele to be sent back, they will send me a brand new one. The same probably will probably occur, but I tried right? :)

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-08-2010, 02:47 AM
001118082342868**

Hippie Dribble
10-08-2010, 02:47 AM
I really hope they don't think I'm trying to make money off them :S.... Kind of over it now.
Sending it back to them tomorrow, they will send me a replacement.

Essentially, because I work for a phone company, and I know the system (;), I can call Hawaii for 31cents a minute. Which is funny, because it costs me 80cents per minute to call within Australia... :?

anyway, I'm pretty sure I call:

001-1-808-234-2686

but I'm not sure if that's right, some auto-voice tells me to call back in 1 or 2 minutes, hahaha. Strange. Once they find a tracking number for the ukulele to be sent back, they will send me a brand new one. The same probably will probably occur, but I tried right? :)

hi Matt

that number needs an extra 1 in it...I've called the states re ukes heaps of times...goes like this:

0011 -1 - 808 - 234 -2686

good luck with the replacement and with your performance

mm stan
10-08-2010, 02:53 AM
Aloha Matt,
I'm glad you straighten out things with them and sending it back for a replacement...
But, you got the telephone Number wrong...it's 1-808-234-2868.....MM Stan

Mandarb
10-12-2010, 06:50 AM
I have been following this thread but I have been out of town for a few days. Any updates on the situation?

molokinirum
10-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Glad to hear Kanile'a is going to replace the uke. Hope the new one is perfect, and I would believe that Kaniel'a would really make sure that the next uke is perfect. After all, Kanile'a is not a fly by night uke maker!!!