PDA

View Full Version : I'm baaaackkk..

Tudorp
10-05-2010, 04:17 AM
Good morning UU'ers..

I been poking in every so often over the past couple months while I was away. But to officially let you know. I am back from the medical center I was at getting a handle on my health. The wife and I have set up our home to continue my health quest and very optimistic for my full recovery. But, just wanted you all to know I am back home from my LOA, and should be able to be more active in the forums now.

At the same time, am I understanding we have many new comers to UU? I can't hunt you all down individually to say Welcome, so I will use this comeback thread to Welcome all the newbies. You will find a wealth of info and help here, especially if you are new to the Uke. Welcome.. And welcome back to me, :cool:

Ukulele JJ
10-05-2010, 04:21 AM
Hey Tudorp, welcome back!

JJ

molokinirum
10-05-2010, 04:22 AM
Welcome back Tudorp!!! I am very glad to hear that you are well and on the road to a healthier life!!! Our prayers have been answered!! What you accomplished took real determination and you should be very proud of yourself, after all it is much easier just to give in!
You have now given not only to yourself but to your family as well, a great gift!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!! :D :D :D

joeybug
10-05-2010, 04:24 AM
Welcome back and thanks for the welcome :D

mm stan
10-05-2010, 04:54 AM
Aloha Tudorp,
Welcome back also, I'd knew you could do it!!!!Our prayers have been answered....and we all are proud of you and continued success!!!
MM Stan....

fitncrafty
10-05-2010, 04:54 AM
Welcome back and best of luck to you on your journey to wellness!!

Carrie

BadLands Bart
10-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Welcome back!! Glad you are much better now, keep it up!

Tudorp
10-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Welcome back and thanks for the welcome :D

So ya got ya the Ohana SK10? Nice choice. How do ya like it?
"Purple is the new pink..."

RyRod
10-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Good to see a fellow Michigander back. Good luck with everything.

kenikas
10-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Glad to see you back, and keep up the good work!

joeybug
10-05-2010, 06:26 AM
So ya got ya the Ohana SK10? Nice choice. How do ya like it?
"Purple is the new pink..."

I love it :D

Is that a good thing about purple or not? I love it as a colour myself!

Ahnko Honu
10-05-2010, 06:41 AM
I new I felt a disturbance in the Force! ;) Welcome back, and godspeed on your recovery to good health. You should improve in leaps and bounds at home with the support of your loving wife and beautiful daughter. Best wishes to you my friend. :D I go in for surgery first thing in the a.m. (5:30 argh) for back surgery #4 so I'll be switching places with you. Take care , and aloha.

mangorockfish
10-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Welcome back you big-o-rascal you. Hope you do well on your health quest.

Tudorp
10-05-2010, 08:15 AM
BTW evabody.. Thanks so much for your welcome back, and especially for all the good JuJu and prayers you been sending my way. Keep em coming tho, because I am only in the begining of my health journey. All the prayers sent out were heard, and received, and make a huge difference. I have and continue to have a 2nd to none support system in friends and family, and they do make all the difference in the world. I am truly blessed.

I got to play some uke at the center, and hope all there that was around enjoyed it. But, really didn't play as much as I like to. Now being home, been playing my fingers to the bone, and the day I got home, a local kid came by, and I sent my LU21 home with him to practice some stuff I been teaching him. He called and said he has been practicing, and his fingers hurt, hahhah.. I just told him "Good... Your fingers are supposed to hurt..." hahhah.. I love seeing kids pick up the uke and yern to learn..

70sSanO
10-05-2010, 09:04 AM
It is good to have you back.

You are only beginning your journey and the prayers will continue.

John

itsme
10-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Welcome back, Tudorp! You were missed around these parts. Glad to hear you're doing well. :)

I go in for surgery first thing in the a.m. (5:30 argh) for back surgery #4 so I'll be switching places with you.
Know you've been waiting for this for a long time. Good vibes coming your way!

cb56
10-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Welcome back! and keep up the good work.

Chris Tarman
10-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Welcome back! I'll be looking forward to more regular posts from you (just as I looked forward to your sporadic posts while you were gone). Keep traveling down that road to better health!
Cheers!
Chris

Jerlial Prophet
10-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Glad to have you back and glad to hear that things seemed to go well for you. Best wishes for your continued improvements in health. Keep up the good work!

Teek
10-05-2010, 06:19 PM
All best wishes and welcome home! :smileybounce:

bobj
10-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Welcome back.
I am one of the newbies that arrived while you were out. I've just been saving your place in line.

heymak
10-06-2010, 02:11 AM
Welcome back, hope to see you posting and playing for many years to come.

MIke K

Jason Paul
10-06-2010, 03:20 AM
Good to see you back! Keep up the good work - one day at a time!

Jason

lozarkman
10-06-2010, 03:43 AM
WELCOME BACK TUDORP!! Glad to see your happy face and tiny uke again! Sounds like with your wonderful family and right plan you are going to come back to full force and be starting your own band one of these days. I just had a double hernia operation last Wednesday, so I am a bit under the weather myself for a week or two. But gettin in a lot of pickin and strummin and BAD singin. But pain is subsiding and uke pickin keepin my mind off it. Good luck Bro. Lozark

mailman
10-06-2010, 04:37 AM
Welcome back, Tudorp! You've got a lot of catching up to do. I'm glad you felt and appreciated all of the good wishes sent your way via UU, and I'm sure they'll continue to come.

Let's all not forget to send the same to Ahnko Honu, while he endures this most recent back surgery. I'm just coming off of a major back surgery myself, and I think I can understand his pain. Ahnko, we wish you all the best! My hope for you is that this one is the one that finally does the trick, and that you can go on with your life pain free. We are thinking about you....

Tudorp
10-06-2010, 05:28 AM
True... Here's wishing you a successful back surgery, and recovery for a pain free life when you are well..

pithaya9
10-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Aloha Tudorp, glad to here everything is going OK for you. Yes there are lots of new members, so many so I can't keep track of them all myself. It is encouraging to see all new uke players.

itsme
10-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Tudorp, if you don't mind me asking (and you don't have to reply), how much weight have you lost? Previously you said "I am a very large guy at 6'5" tall and 600 plus pounds." so it seems obvious to me that weight management is going to figure into your new lifestyle. What type of dietary changes have you made?

My husband's uncle (early 50s, ~6', 500+ lbs.) suffered from a torn aorta in his heart 2 years ago. They gave him a 40% chance of surviving. But thanks to a good surgeon, excellent care and the fact that he's an ornery SOB, he made it. He lost nearly 100 lbs. Then he decided life wasn't worth living if he couldn't eat what he wanted, so he went back to his old ways where he'll down a bucket of fried chicken and a half gallon of ice cream in one sitting. I really worry about him. :(

Tudorp
10-07-2010, 02:52 AM
I dont have a problem at all answering that. So far I have lost 50 lbs (Actually I think a bit more, just cant check right now). I was at the center for about 6 weeks, and lost 45 pounds when I was released to continue my journey at home. The wife and I had set up my home to continue here. The only thing I am waiting on is my bariactric scale that goes up to 1000 pounds, but it should be here in a few days. I have lost some more here at home, but again, I can't verify how much until my scale gets here. But I can tell, as can the wife that its still coming off.

Basically, I have gone to a 1500 calorie intake for a day. We started an "herbalife" shake plan and it has been working. I wouldn't have said that 6 months ago because I was very skeptic until I went to the center and personally saw many there that have lost over 200 lbs on the center's plan, so I went on it. We do seem to eat more tho, because you seem to eat all day. I have a shake, with a bowl of oatmeal, maybe some fruit in the morning. A time or two a week, I can exchange that for real food, watching the calorie intake. I have a very good lunch, then for dinner I have another shake with a small bowl of vegies, or fruit. I also eat a protein based snack between meals which will vary from a ham, or turkey lettuce (basically a breadless sandwich), or something of that nature.

Basically the wife and I have just learned to cook much healthier, without all the butters and fat. We buy lean meats, and learned to season foods with other things than salt. There are tons of spices to use where you will never miss salt. We bought an indoor grill and grill alot, which drains much of the fats from foods. We moved to more fresh vegitables, and even grill those, or steam with a variety of spices to replace salt. While I was at the center, the wife pretty much completley cleaned the kitchen of unhealthy foods, and stocked up with healthier and fresh foods. We hardly ever eat "processed" or pre prepared foods anymore. If you knew the crap that is in that stuff (which I learned at the center) and what it does to your system, especially your colon, and digestive track, it is no wonder Americans are getting so fat, and unhealthy. I do a regimine of cardio at home, using the stairs, as well as a bow flex we bought a few months ago. We basically made a total lifestyle change. And I have to tell ya, even though, I have a long way to go to get to a healthy weight, I feel healthier, stronger, and happier. It is a mind set change, to where I don't concentrate on food so much. I look at food as only a fuel for me to be able to do things I want to do. Just like going to a gas station. You don't think about gas all day long, and what you going to put in your gas tank for gas, or what it will taste like to your car. All you know is you need it to drive it and go places. That is how I look at food now. It is fuel for my body and that is all.

That said, the benefits I think about that make this life change worth it, is I get to walk my 13 year old daughter some day down the isle on her wedding day. Something I promised her years ago, that now I know I can live long enough to do that. I get to see my grand kids grow up, and even be a more fun Grandpa to them other then just their old fat grandpa that sits there.. I get to go to my daughter's sports events again. I get to enjoy my family and friends again out doing things with them. It is a choice. I chose life. I still have 250 lbs to go, but I am on my way. I weighed in at the center at 635 lbs, and now I am under 590. I will see how much under 590 when my scale gets here. My next goal is to get into the 400 lb club, then the 300 lb club. I would have reached my goal when I hit 299 lbs. Still jolly, still "puffy", but healthy, and a good weight for me. ;) Actually, 299 lbs at 6'5" is not a bad weight at my age now. I'll take it..

Tudorp
10-07-2010, 03:01 AM
All that said. It is a choice, only the person suffering from obesity can make. No one can make it for them. I was much like your loved one. I wanted to eat what I wanted, or it wasn't life. I was fat and happy. I have never been afraid of death. My relationship with God is strong, and I knew I would be with him when I die. So, I was a tough nail to crack.

BUT. What changed my mindset was this. I was laying on the gerny in the ER dying. I had respotory failure, the same thing that killed "IZ" years ago. I was going back and forth from conciousnes, and unconciousness. For some reason, the medical team that was working on me to save my life failed to push my family out of the room, which they ussally do. But, that miss step on their part IS what saved my life. When I would come to every so often, I was able to look through the medical team and see them in the corner of the room. My wife, and 13 year old daughter standing there crying, with a look of fear I have never seen on their faces. I hated that look on them, and promised to myself, God, and them that I would never give them reason to feel those feelings again. I prayed, and asked God if he was ready to take me, that I was ready to go. BUT, I did not want to leave the two most important women in my life like that. Give me time to fix what I have done, and stay here with them. I didn't want them to have any regrets, or resentments, because I left them too soon, because I was a stuborn ass thinking only of myself. My mindset changed laying on that gerny, connected to a maching that was breathing for me, because I couldn't myself. God knew it would take something like that to change my mind and want to get healthy. So, I made the commitment laying there... So, here I am on my journey to uphold my promise. And happier for it..

joeybug
10-07-2010, 03:02 AM
I dont have a problem at all answering that. So far I have lost 50 lbs (Actually I think a bit more, just cant check right now). I was at the center for about 6 weeks, and lost 45 pounds when I was released to continue my journey at home. The wife and I had set up my home to continue here. The only thing I am waiting on is my bariactric scale that goes up to 1000 pounds, but it should be here in a few days. I have lost some more here at home, but again, I can't verify how much until my scale gets here. But I can tell, as can the wife that its still coming off.

Basically, I have gone to a 1500 calorie intake for a day. We started an "herbalife" shake plan and it has been working. I wouldn't have said that 6 months ago because I was very skeptic until I went to the center and personally saw many there that have lost over 200 lbs on the center's plan, so I went on it. We do seem to eat more tho, because you seem to eat all day. I have a shake, with a bowl of oatmeal, maybe some fruit in the morning. A time or two a week, I can exchange that for real food, watching the calorie intake. I have a very good lunch, then for dinner I have another shake with a small bowl of vegies, or fruit. I also eat a protein based snack between meals which will vary from a ham, or turkey lettuce (basically a breadless sandwich), or something of that nature.

Basically the wife and I have just learned to cook much healthier, without all the butters and fat. We buy lean meats, and learned to season foods with other things than salt. There are tons of spices to use where you will never miss salt. We bought an indoor grill and grill alot, which drains much of the fats from foods. We moved to more fresh vegitables, and even grill those, or steam with a variety of spices to replace salt. While I was at the center, the wife pretty much completley cleaned the kitchen of unhealthy foods, and stocked up with healthier and fresh foods. We hardly ever eat "processed" or pre prepared foods anymore. If you knew the crap that is in that stuff (which I learned at the center) and what it does to your system, especially your colon, and digestive track, it is no wonder Americans are getting so fat, and unhealthy. I do a regimine of cardio at home, using the stairs, as well as a bow flex we bought a few months ago. We basically made a total lifestyle change. And I have to tell ya, even though, I have a long way to go to get to a healthy weight, I feel healthier, stronger, and happier. It is a mind set change, to where I don't concentrate on food so much. I look at food as only a fuel for me to be able to do things I want to do. Just like going to a gas station. You don't think about gas all day long, and what you going to put in your gas tank for gas, or what it will taste like to your car. All you know is you need it to drive it and go places. That is how I look at food now. It is fuel for my body and that is all.

That said, the benefits I think about that make this life change worth it, is I get to walk my 13 year old daughter some day down the isle on her wedding day. Something I promised her years ago, that now I know I can live long enough to do that. I get to see my grand kids grow up, and even be a more fun Grandpa to them other then just their old fat grandpa that sits there.. I get to go to my daughter's sports events again. I get to enjoy my family and friends again out doing things with them. It is a choice. I chose life. I still have 250 lbs to go, but I am on my way. I weighed in at the center at 635 lbs, and now I am under 590. I will see how much under 590 when my scale gets here. My next goal is to get into the 400 lb club, then the 300 lb club. I would have reached my goal when I hit 299 lbs. Still jolly, still "puffy", but healthy, and a good weight for me. ;) Actually, 299 lbs at 6'5" is not a bad weight at my age now. I'll take it..

I didn't know your story before, and from what you've put here I think I can work most of it out, I know I'm new and I don't know you much (if at all) but I just wanted to wish you luck at getting to reach your goals, both the weight ones and the ability to walk your daughter down the aisle when she gets married. You're a very inspiring person and you're very open about what you're going through. I like people like that :D

So, all I'm trying to say really is, I'll be praying that you make your goals and that you reach the end of the road you're on to better health. Good Luck, Tudorp, I wish you every sucess.

Joey

Jason Paul
10-07-2010, 03:57 AM
Great story, and you'll have a great testimony to share with others in similar situations in the future. Many people don't really consider the effects their death will have on the rest of their family.

My dad was like that in a way. He wasn't overweight, but he had heart problems and still didn't take care of himself. He passed away just eight months ago at the young age of 59. Even though we (his kids) are all grown, it was still hard, especially for my younger brother and sister. He won't be able to walk her down the aisle, or meet her children.

Taking care of your health is even more important in your situation, when your kids are still kids and depend on you for daily love and support (as does your wife). I'm glad to hear that you've gotten this revelation and wish you the best!

Jason

Sambient
10-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Welcome back! Congradulations on your lifestyle changes.
See what exercises you can incorporate playing your uke into.

mailman
10-07-2010, 05:26 AM
Good for you, Tudorp! I'm a tall guy, too, at 6' 4", but I have never been really large. I weighed in at 235 at one point, and felt awful. Somehow I dropped a few pounds, and felt better. I am back up again now, after several months of inactivity.

My weight stuggles are nothing compared to yours, but my point is this....

I know how very difficult it is to lose just a few pounds, say, twenty or thirty. I can't imagine the strength required to do what you are accomplishing! You are an inspiration to us all. Maybe I can get back down to where I want to be....205, 210. You've proven that it's possible to do, now all I have to do is get busy and do it....

Tudorp
10-07-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks, and I am glad that my issue can be an inspiration. Im not ashamed of it, and want it to be. If it can help others, then it's not a bad thing. I have always wanted to be that for my kids, so they won't go down the road I went down. I have three grown sons that don't have a problem at this point, but can very easily go down the path I did to obesity. They have seen the pain it caused me, let alone the ones that loved me what they had to go through sitting there watching me give up and wait to die.

That said, I am proud to be that. At the center, the physical theapists, and social workers there told me I was a positive force there. It is a sad place really. It has half the people there basically given up and laying around to die. then there are the other half that are trying to loose weight, and have done so, much more than I have at this point. It really made me want to continue when I was aproached by three of the people there that could not even stand up when I got there a couple months ago. When I came in there on fire from my scare and determined to get better. I fought through alot of pain to gain some independence back. When I got there, I could stand for less than a minute, and walk maybe 10 feet without having to get back in my wheelchair. I would be in tears walking, and standing but kept at it. By the time I left, I am able to stand for several minutes strieght up, and walk for about 200 feet, maybe more without my wheelchair. Three people there could not even stand, and by the time I left, they also took the leap, and started a standing and walking regimine. One woman, a very large woman, every bit as heavy as I am but not as tall. Never got out of her wheelchair. I befriended her, and showed her, damn right it's gonna hurt, but Im not giving up on walking. By the time I left, she was walking almost 100 feet with a walker. She hadn't left her wheel chair in years before that. I was glad to change their minds. If those people, and myself can do it, no one can ever tell me it can't be done..

fitncrafty
10-07-2010, 05:49 AM
Thanks, and I am glad that my issue can be an inspiration. Im not ashamed of it, and want it to be. If it can help others, then it's not a bad thing. I have always wanted to be that for my kids, so they won't go down the road I went down. I have three grown sons that don't have a problem at this point, but can very easily go down the path I did to obesity. They have seen the pain it caused me, let alone the ones that loved me what they had to go through sitting there watching me give up and wait to die.

That said, I am proud to be that. At the center, the physical theapists, and social workers there told me I was a positive force there. It is a sad place really. It has half the people there basically given up and laying around to die. then there are the other half that are trying to loose weight, and have done so, much more than I have at this point. It really made me want to continue when I was aproached by three of the people there that could not even stand up when I got there a couple months ago. When I came in there on fire from my scare and determined to get better. I fought through alot of pain to gain some independence back. When I got there, I could stand for less than a minute, and walk maybe 10 feet without having to get back in my wheelchair. I would be in tears walking, and standing but kept at it. By the time I left, I am able to stand for several minutes strieght up, and walk for about 200 feet, maybe more without my wheelchair. Three people there could not even stand, and by the time I left, they also took the leap, and started a standing and walking regimine. One woman, a very large woman, every bit as heavy as I am but not as tall. Never got out of her wheelchair. I befriended her, and showed her, damn right it's gonna hurt, but Im not giving up on walking. By the time I left, she was walking almost 100 feet with a walker. She hadn't left her wheel chair in years before that. I was glad to change their minds. If those people, and myself can do it, no one can ever tell me it can't be done..

This is an incredible story! Your determination and inspiration is beyond words! I know first hand how hard it is to lose weight (AND more difficult to keep it off) but it can be done.. building muscle is key and your determination to stand and walk is key! Good for you! here's to you, your health, and the blessing you are to those in need of borrowing your strength! You are what I call Hero!

joeybug
10-07-2010, 05:52 AM
This is an incredible story! Your determination and inspiration is beyond words! I know first hand how hard it is to lose weight (AND more difficult to keep it off) but it can be done.. building muscle is key and your determination to stand and walk is key! Good for you! here's to you, your health, and the blessing you are to those in need of borrowing your strength! You are what I call Hero!

:agree: 100%

Tudorp
10-07-2010, 06:01 AM
To put some light side on this... I want to share this story, because it was just funny..

After about a month into my regimin at the center. I started walking substancial distances. Before that, the residents, and nurses could tell I was a tall guy, but never really seen me standing up. I decided to leave my wheelchair in the PT room and walk a couple hundred feet back to my room. I had to sort of scurry the best I could before I risked colapsing (you will see why that added to the drama in a minute ;)). I rounded the corner in the hall, just about 30 or so feet from my room door. Right around the corner was one of the administrators. She is a very thin, young, pretty woman that had always been very poised, and soft spoken. Her, and a couple aids were standing there talking when suddenly the light was blocked from down the hall (me rounding the corner headed right torwards them). She turned around to see where the light went as I was gaining on their position. Her eyes got huge as silver dollors, and just belted out "OH MY GOD, YOU ARE HUGE!!!"... As I approached them, I was laughing and said "Kera, don't they teach you sensitivity training around here?". It came out of her mouth so fast, she was so embarrased and had turned every shade of red in the spectrum. She immediatly started saying "I didn't mean it that way, I meant tall... Your tall.. ". She had never seen my upright before, and it just caught her off guard suddenly around the corner coming right at her, lol.. I laughed, gave her a hug and told her I knew what she was meant, but it was just funny that coming out of her mouth.. For several days afterwards, evertime she would see me, she would laugh and turn red, and try to reassure me that she didn't mean it the way it sounded. heheh.. It was funny..

joeybug
10-07-2010, 06:11 AM
To put some light side on this... I want to share this story, because it was just funny..

After about a month into my regimin at the center. I started walking substancial distances. Before that, the residents, and nurses could tell I was a tall guy, but never really seen me standing up. I decided to leave my wheelchair in the PT room and walk a couple hundred feet back to my room. I had to sort of scurry the best I could before I risked colapsing (you will see why that added to the drama in a minute ;)). I rounded the corner in the hall, just about 30 or so feet from my room door. Right around the corner was one of the administrators. She is a very thin, young, pretty woman that had always been very poised, and soft spoken. Her, and a couple aids were standing there talking when suddenly the light was blocked from down the hall (me rounding the corner headed right torwards them). She turned around to see where the light went as I was gaining on their position. Her eyes got huge as silver dollors, and just belted out "OH MY GOD, YOU ARE HUGE!!!"... As I approached them, I was laughing and said "Kera, don't they teach you sensitivity training around here?". It came out of her mouth so fast, she was so embarrased and had turned every shade of red in the spectrum. She immediatly started saying "I didn't mean it that way, I meant tall... Your tall.. ". She had never seen my upright before, and it just caught her off guard suddenly around the corner coming right at her, lol.. I laughed, gave her a hug and told her I knew what she was meant, but it was just funny that coming out of her mouth.. For several days afterwards, evertime she would see me, she would laugh and turn red, and try to reassure me that she didn't mean it the way it sounded. heheh.. It was funny..

LOL, that's great!

I remember when I first went into a wheelchair, I went to my new doctors surgery for an appointment and it's in this old house and not wheelchair accesible, and my friend was pushing me and the receptionist was trying to help us through this tiny gap and she said (jokingly) "Oh, just get up and walk!" so I got up and she nearly died of shock, she didn't know I could walk a few feet!

itsme
10-07-2010, 02:19 PM
That about sums up how I feel as well. :)

Tudorp, thank you for sharing your journey with us. Even though we've never met, you have brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you!

I only wish my husband's uncle could see the light. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a wife or a beautiful daughter to give him inspiration to heed his "wake up call" and make him truly want to change. :(

fitncrafty
10-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Joey this story is hysterical!!! I love it!! and tudorps too.. but I can only imagine the look on that woman's face when you got up!

joeybug
10-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Joey this story is hysterical!!! I love it!! and tudorps too.. but I can only imagine the look on that woman's face when you got up!

Yeah, it was pretty funny! Her face was a picture :D