New Hawai'i 5-0?

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
Anyone here watching the new Hawai'i 5-0? What's your opinion? I grew up watching the old show with Jack Lord. I'm disappointed they did not use a single kama'aina in the cast making it less acceptable for many locals especially when they fake the pidgin talk, and mispronounce Hawaiian words. Yes I know the main audience is the Mainland and I'm sure Mainlanders are eating it up. The producers should ask for more local input before making up names. Kono Kalakaua? Kukui High School? Sheesh.
http://www.kukuihigh.com/yearbook/ ;)

Anyone here watching the new Hawai'i 5-0? What's your opinion? I grew up watching the old show with Jack Lord. I'm disappointed they did not use a single kama'aina in the cast making it less acceptable for many locals especially when they fake the pidgin talk, and mispronounce Hawaiian words. Yes I know the main audience is the Mainland and I'm sure Mainlanders are eating it up. The producers should ask for more local input before making up names. Kono Kalakaua? Kukui High School? Sheesh.

Ha ha..I know what you mean....we need the local flair to comprehend...not only the
actors and actress, but the writers too....overly hollywood dramatic....like ukulele
music, they need to slow down the tempo to get the sweet flow...missing the feel
as of yet...maybe in the second season they will get more relaxed and accustomed
working with each other....Still kinda raw and brash....MM Stan...

I have seen the first two episodes. Very nice photography, especially the helicopter shots. I might not have tried it, except I liked Daniel Day Kim from LOST. They haven't given him enough to do yet, because they are setting up the main two characters first. I think they are a little over-the-top with the automatic weapon/ car crashing action (it is probably standard these days for police crime shows) but it leaves me feeling that that is an unreal world (shouldn't be happening every week anyway). Maybe, after they develop the character relationships better, they can tone down the torture/violence. We really can't have a lead character be a torturer. If Dano can sway him back onto the hero path, then there is hope. The actors are good, and the quality of the writing promising.
I used to watch the old show too.
–Lori

I watched part of the first show and have the rest taped for later. I just want to watch it for the scenery.

I am with Ahnko and mm stan here. I grew up watching and loving the original 5-0. I was really excited to see the show come back. I watched the first night and .............. what a big dissapointment!!! The only part about the show I liked were the EXTREMELY brief shots of Hawaii. The characters are way over the top!! I tried to watch the 2nd episode and changed the channel, it's terrible and non-belivable. And add to that no locals in the cast...what a shame, what a shame!!!

I watched it and did not like it. I have seen the original Hawaii 5-0 but the new one was horrible. No way is that how the police operate with those weapons, cars etc.

Well, what shows are realistic? Movies are always over the top with special effects.

I watch it mainly because of the scenery and I am a fan of both D. Kim and G. Park from prior shows. That being said, I'm not a big fan of McGarrett so far. And the scenery is woefully underused. But hey, this kama'aina at heart will take her Hawaii any way she can get it. If nothing else, I would tune in just for the opening credits for the theme song and shot of the Hawaiian Airlines plane. I try to get to Hawaii a few times a year, and that is never enough. Hawaii is my drug, so this is my weekly fix.

I watch it mainly because of the scenery and I am a fan of both D. Kim and G. Park from prior shows. That being said, I'm not a big fan of McGarrett so far. And the scenery is woefully underused. But hey, this kama'aina at heart will take her Hawaii any way she can get it. If nothing else, I would tune in just for the opening credits for the theme song and shot of the Hawaiian Airlines plane. I try to get to Hawaii a few times a year, and that is never enough. Hawaii is my drug, so this is my weekly fix.

Yes, I think they are missing the point. That Hawaiian scenery looks awesome on my HD TV, and they should spend more time outdoors, and less in warehouses. If they could make the crime stuff/ "heavy handed action" be less important, and the exotic location and the "fish-out-of-water" humor more dominant, it might be a show worth watching. I haven't seen a single ukulele yet! Maybe there was one in last night's episode... haven't seen that yet.
–Lori

Yes, I think they are missing the point. That Hawaiian scenery looks awesome on my HD TV, and they should spend more time outdoors, and less in warehouses. If they could make the crime stuff/ "heavy handed action" be less important, and the exotic location and the "fish-out-of-water" humor more dominant, it might be a show worth watching. I haven't seen a single ukulele yet! Maybe there was one in last night's episode... haven't seen that yet.
–Lori

Lori, I agree with you 100%! My problem is that I grew up watching the original 5-0 and am having a very hard time with the new 5-0. And like wicked sez, Hawaii is my drug, can't seem to get enough and thought the new 5-0 would help!!
Also...in Hawaii and NO UKES???????

Aaah, but the scenery...........

If you live in the midwest you can't ever get enough pictures of paradise.

All that automatic weapons fire featured in every episode so far is SO fake, things like this never happen here. It gives the impression these types of weapons are easily accessible, and readily used here which could not be further from the truth. In fact gun crimes in general don't happen here. I hope Mainlanders watching realize this, and can separate fact from fantasy. The producers need to get local writers in on stories that are more true to nature here. New Jersey mobs, Serbian Terrorists? Give me a break! Butchering the language bad enough a "local" (Dae Kim) saying "Hanalulu"... ARGH.

Certainly not as authentic as say "Magnum P.I." :p:cool:

They lost me when they came up with the backstory or why "danno" is called "danno"... LAME!!!

Eh Ahnko - much mahaloz fo da link to KHS. I wondah whose brainchild dat one is. And, the Alma Mater, das too much . . . I still stay laughing. :biglaugh::biglaugh: I goin post da lyrics. :shaka:

Kukui High School Alma Mater
Sung to the tune of “This Old Man”

Kukui High, Kukui High,
Raise Your Nuts Up To The Sky!
When You Grab Them, Sing Out Strong,
Let The World Hear Kukui’s Song!
Kukui’s Nuts Are Big and Bold,
There to Love and There to Hold,
So Grab Your Nuts and Don’t Be Shy,
Show Your Nuts for Kukui High!

All that automatic weapons fire featured in every episode so far is SO fake, things like this never happen here. It gives the impression these types of weapons are easily accessible, and readily used here which could not be further from the truth. In fact gun crimes in general don't happen here. I hope Mainlanders watching realize this, and can separate fact from fantasy. The producers need to get local writers in on stories that are more true to nature here. New Jersey mobs, Serbian Terrorists? Give me a break! Butchering the language bad enough a "local" (Dae Kim) saying "Hanalulu"... ARGH.

ha ha , I didn't like the open sequence in the first episode too...what are they thinking?????Whoever is making all the decisions should be replaced...bad bad move..
Good thing the original series has a good standing and will hopefully not be associated with this. Wake up call.....or there will be no second season in my opinion.
Sorry for be so hard, MM Stan..

They probably didn't want to resort to subtitles....

I mostly just watch it for the scenery too...

grace-park-hawaii-8.jpg

JJ

Eh Ahnko - much mahaloz fo da link to KHS. I wondah whose brainchild dat one is. And, the Alma Mater, das too much . . . I still stay laughing. :biglaugh::biglaugh: I goin post da lyrics. :shaka:

Kukui High School Alma Mater
Sung to the tune of “This Old Man”

Kukui High, Kukui High,
Raise Your Nuts Up To The Sky!
When You Grab Them, Sing Out Strong,
Let The World Hear Kukui’s Song!
Kukui’s Nuts Are Big and Bold,
There to Love and There to Hold,
So Grab Your Nuts and Don’t Be Shy,
Show Your Nuts for Kukui High!

Now those lyrics are worthy of song contest!

Did you know you can become a alma mater of Kukui High? ;)

Top Bottom